St. Louis (85-50) at Houston (72-62) 6:05pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis (85-50) at Houston (72-62) 6:05pm

Chris Carpenter learned a lot from Roger Clemens when the right-handers were teammates. Now, Carpenter is battling the future Hall of Famer for the NL Cy Young Award.

Two of baseball's top pitchers meet for the second time this season as the St. Louis Cardinals continue a three-game series with the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park.

Carpenter spent the first six seasons of his career with Toronto, and was in the same rotation with Clemens when he won the AL Cy Young Award with the Blue Jays in 1997 and 1998. Carpenter went 15-14 for the Blue Jays during those two seasons, while Clemens went 41-13.

However, Carpenter got the best of his former mentor when the two met on July 17, giving up just three hits in a complete-game 3-0 win.

``I learned a lot from him, watching him every day,'' Carpenter said of Clemens. ``You're stupid as a young kid not to pay attention to what someone of his caliber does. It was great to be able to play and watch him work.''

ADVERTISEMENT
    Clemens gave up three runs -- one earned -- and five hits in seven innings in that matchup, and was charged with the loss. Carpenter has allowed just one run and 15 hits in 24 innings in his three starts against Houston this season, all wins.

``He just did a number on us,'' Clemens said. ``I don't think we really posed a threat to him.''

Carpenter became the majors' first 19-game winner Monday, allowing one run and seven hits in 7 2-3 innings of a 6-1 victory over Florida. Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis won his 19th game Friday.

``I had command of my sinker, command of my cutter, and command of my breaking ball, and I was able to throw it when I wanted to throw it and keep them off balance all night,'' said Carpenter, who has already passed his previous career high of 15 wins, set last season.

Carpenter, the NL's starter in the All-Star game, has won 11 straight decisions. His 2.29 ERA is the second-best in the majors, behind only Clemens' 1.51 mark.

Clemens allowed just two hits in six scoreless innings of the Astros' 1-0 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday. Houston has been shut out eight times in Clemens' 27 starts this season and has lost five times by a 1-0 score with him on the mound -- including three games that went extra innings.

The Astros have scored just 3.61 runs per game in Clemens' starts, the lowest for any of their seven pitchers who have started games.

``I don't bat an eye at that,'' said Clemens, who was trying for his 340th career win. ``That's baseball. I don't put a lot of stock in it either way. I've had my share of wins. If I was worried about that and how many games that I've had some tough luck over my 22 years, it would probably drive you crazy. So I don't worry about that.''

The Astros beat the Cardinals 6-5 in 13 innings on Friday as Eric Bruntlett came through with a game-winning RBI single. Morgan Ensberg homered in the ninth and Brad Ausmus added a drive in the 10th, both off St. Louis closer Jason Isringhausen, to extend the game.

The Astros, who have won four straight, trail Philadelphia by a half-game in the NL wild-card race. The Phillies beat the Washington Nationals 7-1 on Friday.

Jim Edmonds hit his second homer in the top of the 13th for the Cardinals, who lost for the second time in six games. Yadier Molina added a drive for St. Louis, which owns the best record in the majors.

I'm surpised that ESPN didn't ask for this matchup to be delayed one day, so that could be their last Sunday Night Game.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Come on CC, put another head to head nail in Clemens' Cy Young hopes coffin!!!
      Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.

Comment

If Carp beats his ass tonight espn might go off the air. They wouldn't know what to say.

"Um, Chris Carpenter won his 20th game tonight. Goodnight from espn."

RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

I counted the number of people it took to find a Cardinal fan here in NC. I didn't actively try to seek, mostly talked football to start. The second person I talked football with ended up being a Cardinal baseball fan. He had a Cardinal mug to prove it.

He's still pissed about the kline thing.

Oh I hope I get to see this game today.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Chris Carpenter
            3-0, 0.38 vs Hou in 2005
            3-1, 1.22 vs Hou lifetime
            11-0, 1.99 on the road in 2005

Roger Clemens
            1-1, 2.37 vs StL in 2005
            4-1, 2.41 vs StL lifetime
            5-4, 2.40 at home in 2005

Carpenter is 3-0, 2.43 his last 5 starts. Cardinals are 10-0 his last 10 starts (14-0 his last 14).
            Clemens is 1-2, 1.78 his last 5 starts. Astros are 5-5 his last 5 starts.

vs Carpenter
            Taveras 3-10, 3k
            Biggio 6-16, 1rbi, 1k
            Ensberg 2-11, 2rbi, 1bb, 2k
            Berkman 1-8, 1hr, 3rbi, 3bb, 3k
            Lane 1-3
            Burke 0-2, 1bb
            Everett 4-15, 1k
            Ausmus 4-23, 2bb, 3k

vs Clemens
            Eckstein 3-21
            Taguchi 3-6
            Pujols 4-18, 1rbi, 4bb, 1k
            Edmonds 12-47, 3hr, 6rbi, 9bb, 18k
            Grudzielanek 7-19, 2rbi, 1bb, 2k
            Nunez 1-4
            Mabry 3-16, 1bb, 5k
            Molina 1-5

Go Cards!
            Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
            Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
            There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
            "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
            "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Izzy should get 2 blown saves for last night.

Just sayin
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Sep 3 2005, 11:03 AM
                Izzy should get 2 blown saves for last night.

Just sayin
                that was mentioned with the group I was watching the game with

This should be a hell of a game!
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I don't get the game here.

the more descriptive your posts, the better.
                  Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy@Sep 3 2005, 08:10 AM
                    If Carp beats his ass tonight espn might go off the air. They wouldn't know what to say.

"Um, Chris Carpenter won his 20th game tonight. Goodnight from espn."

To quote slublue: what a stupid fucking statement...

The complex continues....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Sep 3 2005, 12:45 PM-->
                      QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 3 2005, 12:45 PM)

Originally posted by jhuegy+Sep 3 2005, 01:04 PM-->
                      QUOTE(jhuegy @ Sep 3 2005, 01:04 PM)
                      Originally posted by *007*@Sep 3 2005, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by *007*+Sep 3 2005, 01:05 PM-->
                      QUOTE(*007* @ Sep 3 2005, 01:05 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2005, 01:04 PM
                      Originally posted by *007*@Sep 3 2005, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by jhuegy@Sep 3 2005, 01:34 PM
                      Has TLR won a world series yet? I didn't think so. STFU!
                      Still whining...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

My friend fom Omaha is coming in town tonight, not sure what kind of trouble we are going to find. Bottom line, I have to get the house cleaned before the game starts, so I can sit back watch and get a head start of the drunkeness we are going to achieve tonight!
                        Feb. 08, 2005
                        Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                        Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                        Originally posted by Airshark
                        NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Working...
                        X