In Light Of The Goat Rope in The Big Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Light Of The Goat Rope in The Big Easy

In the event New Madrid decides to start sliding around?

I realize there's not really any forewarning if the fault starts to move...whereas, there was at least a brief amount of preparation time for the storm...

Still, I think it'd be beneficial to know what the plan is for an earthquake...
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

With the refineries and all around and depending where it hit and how badly, we'd all be fucked.

When was the last time there was significant movement?

Any chance of predicting the next?
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

1. Place hands over ears.
      2. Place head between knees.
      3. Kiss your ass goodbye.

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
      Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
      Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

I would definitely blame Bush.
        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Not something we can worry about. We cannot control it.

And it would be over before we knew it.

Anyone have 'earthquake' insurance on their homes?

Mother Nature/Earth ownS us, not the other way around.
          Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow@Sep 2 2005, 11:55 PM
            Anyone have 'earthquake' insurance on their homes?
            Yep, had to have it to get the mortgage...also had to have flood insurance (if I'm under water, most of the state of Missouri would be too)

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
            Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
            Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Originally posted by Rdog3933+Sep 3 2005, 12:58 AM-->
              QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Sep 3 2005, 12:58 AM)

Originally posted by Rdog3933+Sep 3 2005, 12:58 AM-->
              QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Sep 3 2005, 12:58 AM)

Katrina and its aftermath should teach us that we need to develop our own plans in case of an emergency.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Sep 3 2005, 07:35 AM
                Katrina and its aftermath should teach us that we need to develop our own plans in case of an emergency.
                ++

Just hope that you can survive the quake (if you want to), and then have a stock of supplies, food, guns, and ammunition to see you through for 2 -4 weeks. And beer.

Most of us have supplies for about 2 days. We'd be royally screwed and looking to steal yours.
                No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Sparrow@Sep 2 2005, 11:52 PM
                  When was the last time there was significant movement?
                  * September 17, 1997
                  3.8 Richter magnitude earthquake in the Trumann - Caraway area of northeast Arkansas
                  * November 28, 1996
                  3.3 magnitude Blytheville earthquake shakes 5 state area.
                  * August 20, 1994
                  Saturday morning 3.5 magnitude earthquake wakes up Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
                  * December 5, 1985
                  3.9 Richter magnitude earthquake southwest of Blytheville, Arkansas
                  * November 9, 1968
                  5.5 Richter magnitude earthquake in the Mount Carmel, Illinois area, which was felt in Northeast Arkansas.
                  * January 25, 1955
                  10-minute earthquake felt in northeast Arkansas, Missouri, and Tennessee.

They estimate that the December 1811 quake was at least 8.0, which would make it the one of the largest in recorded American History.

Vibrations were felt from the Rocky Mountains to the Atlantic coast and from Mexico to Canada. The quake zone was in constant movement during this period. Five towns in three states disappeared, islands vanished in the Mississippi River, lakes formed where there had been none before, and the river flowed backward for a brief period.

It has been estimated that three of the series of earthquakes from December 8111 - Early 1812 had surface-wave magnitudes of 8.6, 8.4, and 8.8 on the Richter scale. It is the largest series of earthquakes known to have occurred in North America.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                  Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Next time you are driving on 40 East downtown just before you get on the PSB, look at the Westbound 40 supports. You will notice reinforced metal rods and brackets around those supports. You can also see this if you are on 44 East merging with 40 at the PSB.

These are earthquake mitigation measures, designed to strengthen the elevated sections of the highway. I don't know what size quake they are designed to handle, but there are some measures being taken to avoid what happened in San Francisco when the highways collapsed on top of each other.

Moon

Comment

I think the flood insurance is required many times due to near by streams, etc
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

We planned for it in 1990 already. I remember all the drills in HS too. Some rumor that was out was this: 1234567890

12th month
                        3rd around the 3rd
                        456am or pm
                        7.8 about how big it would be
                        90 in the year

We had drills for 2 months in school, after that date we had nothing.
                        Sponsor of:
                        Brian Elliott
                        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Working...
                        X