Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should cfb fans give up hotel rooms for evacuees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should cfb fans give up hotel rooms for evacuees?

Alabama fans asked to give up hotels
    / Associated Press
    Posted: 17 hours ago

Alabama football fans have been asked to help hurricane refugees by giving up their hotel rooms this weekend to evacuees.

Hotels around Tuscaloosa are booked leading to the school's football opener Saturday night against Middle Tennessee, and those reservations could displace evacuees currently staying in the rooms, athletic director Mal Moore said.

Moore sent an e-mail Wednesday to more than 50,000 supporters and season-ticket holders, asking people with hotel reservations to cancel so evacuees from Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi can have shelter.

"The human tragedy as a result of Katrina is staggering and I know Crimson Tide fans will do what they can to help those who are not able to immediately return to their homes," Moore said.

Alabama's Student Recreation Center is also serving as a Red Cross shelter for hundreds of evacuees.

In Tallahassee, Fla., a big college football weekend awaits. There is concern hotel space might disappear for Katrina victims since Florida law requires hotels to honor all reservations. The hotels have been booked for weeks, with Florida State playing its opener against Miami and Florida A&M hosting Delaware State.

Red Cross officials in the city said Thursday they have room for up to 3,000 evacuees. The area's 5,200 hotel rooms have been filled with refugees. They were full Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and at 85 percent capacity Wednesday. Refugees forced from hotels can turn to shelters, officials said.

Florida State officials met with the Red Cross concerning a fund-raiser during Monday's game. Students will collect donations around the 84,000-seat Doak Campbell Stadium.
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Yes they should and they should all head to where they go tailgate and camp out there
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I thought all Alabama fans had trailers anyway, no?
      Official Lounge Sponsor:
      Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
      The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
      Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

FAMU and FSU both have home games this weekend and their fans come from far away. Asking them to give up their rooms is tantamount to asking them not to come to the game. I'm not saying that asking them to give up their game is a bad thing in light of the suffering others are enduring, but do the evacuees have no other options? If I'm from New Orleans and can afford a room at the Courtyard for weeks, should a hotel (or a fan who has a reservation) feel like it/he/she is being insensitive if it/he/she asks me to please move down the road to Gainesville or Jacksonville for the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Sep 2 2005, 01:30 PM
          trailers/campers/tents.....all the same
          Sponsor of:
          Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Sep 2 2005, 12:30 PM

Comment

Working...
            X