GDT: Preseason Football, Chiefs @ Rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Preseason Football, Chiefs @ Rams

Green is out and Quinn will get most of the action. KC cut Freddie Mitchell yesterday.

From the KC Star
    By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) - The Kansas City Chiefs will travel across the Show-Me State to take a stab at what would be their first win of the 2005 preseason, when Dick Vermeil's crew takes on the St. Louis Rams at American Airlines Arena on Friday night. The Chiefs have had a troubling preseason both on the field and off, as three consecutive losses have made fewer headlines than a string of arrests sustained by Kansas City players. On the field, the Chiefs have dropped three in a row, including a 23-17 home loss to the Seahawks last Saturday. Things have gone better for the Rams, who moved to 2-1 on Monday with a nationally-televised 37-13 road blowout of the Detroit Lions.

Kansas City's quarterback picture is blurry heading into the final week of the preseason, as starter Trent Green (numbness in lower leg and foot) appears doubtful for Friday and backups Todd Collins (fractured hand) and Damon Huard (concussion) are also nursing injuries. Jonathan Quinn (11-of-23 passing, 126 yards), who was signed just last week and played extensively in the loss to the Seahawks, will again garner a wealth of playing time this week. Rookie James Kilian (8-of-27 passing, 109 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), who has struggled mightily in the preseason, could also see time. That situation complicates matters for a number of receivers attempting to land a roster spot, a group that includes holdovers Marc Boerigter (3 receptions, 33 yards in the preseason), Chris Horn (3 receptions, 26 yards) and offseason acquisition Freddie Mitchell. Mitchell has yet to suit up in the preseason due to a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee, but is expected to play on Friday. Running backs Priest Holmes (17 rushes, 68 yards in the preseason) and Larry Johnson (26 rushes, 233 yards, 1 TD) should see limited time, if any, on Friday.

The Rams manhandled the Lions on Monday, with starters like quarterback Marc Bulger (11-of-14, 167 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), running back Steven Jackson (14 rushes, 108 yards, 1 TD) and wideout Isaac Bruce (5 receptions, 85 yards, 1 TD) all posting big first-half performances. None of those players are expected to see significant action on Friday, as head coach Mike Martz will likely hold the starters out most of the game for precautionary reasons. Backup quarterbacks Jamie Martin (18-of-27 passing, 237 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (5-of-10 passing, 129 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT) will likely take most of the snaps against the Chiefs, while Arlen Harris (24 rushes, 71 yards) should see significant time in the backfield. Cornerback Terry Fair (sprained neck), who had to be carted from the field after making a hit on Detroit running back Kevin Jones on Monday, is among the Rams not expected to be in uniform on Friday. Rookie safety Jerome Carter (Achilles) is questionable.

St. Louis holds a 9-6 edge in the all-time preseason series with the Chiefs (including its years in Los Angeles), though Kansas City pulled closer with a 24-7 home victory prior to last season. The regular season series is knotted at four games apiece, with Kansas City evening the mark with a 49-10 victory in 2002
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Dick Vermeil's crew takes on the St. Louis Rams at American Airlines Arena on Friday night.
    Where?

Anyway, I don't care who wins this, as long as no one gets hurt.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Sep 2 2005, 02:41 AM
      Dick Vermeil's crew takes on the St. Louis Rams at American Airlines Arena on Friday night.
      Where?

Anyway, I don't care who wins this, as long as no one gets hurt.
      They are slow with their info in KC I guess?
      Sponsor of:
      Brian Elliott
      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy+Sep 2 2005, 02:46 AM-->
        QUOTE(Guppy @ Sep 2 2005, 02:46 AM)

Hmm in yesterdays draft when I was looking for a crapy backup defense, I was picking between these teams. Now lets see if I made the right choice. It was the Rams btw.
        Time for change

Comment

I'm glad the Chiefs cut Freddie Mitchell. I can't stand that dude.

Just sayin'.
          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
          --Suck it cubbies.
          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

GO RAMS!!!!!
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
            Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
            Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
            Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
            NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
            LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by "F"_the_Cubs@Sep 2 2005, 10:41 AM
              I'm glad the Chiefs cut Freddie Mitchell. I can't stand that dude.

Just sayin'.
              I wonder if he's still thanking his hands.
              Official Lounge Sponsor:
              Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
              The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
              Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa+Sep 2 2005, 09:17 AM-->
                QUOTE(Lippa @ Sep 2 2005, 09:17 AM)

Originally posted by JWB+Sep 2 2005, 02:48 AM-->
                QUOTE(JWB @ Sep 2 2005, 02:48 AM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2005, 02:46 AM

Green Bay won yesterday!
                Feb. 08, 2005
                Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                Originally posted by Airshark
                NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsane2Bme@Sep 2 2005, 01:25 PM
                  Green Bay won yesterday!
                  Green Bay sucks.

And so do you for liking them!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated+Sep 2 2005, 01:43 PM-->
                    QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Sep 2 2005, 01:43 PM)

They better not suck, I have Favre and Walker on one of my fantasy teams, and Walker and Green on the other :angry:

Goodbye until Thursday, I'm going to Disney World!

Comment

Fitzpatrick looks sharp.

Comment

Working...
                      X