• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan stunned, goes off on McClendon

Suspension stuns Duncan
    By Derrick Goold
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    09/01/2005

Expressing shock crossed with indignation over his suspension for an altercation in Pittsburgh last week, Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan railed on Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon and said Thursday he's "still confused as to what I did to get suspended and fined."

Major League Baseball announced Thursday that Duncan would be suspended four games as a result of a pregame confrontation Aug. 24 in Pittsburgh. McClendon and Duncan had a heated exchange, and at least one punch was thrown by a third party. Both teams converged twice as the heated conversation bordered on physical. Video of the event appeared to show Pirates hitting coach Gerald Perry landing a blow hard enough to knock off Duncan's cap.

Perry was suspended for eight games and fined for what the league deemed "inappropriate and violent actions during the incident." McClendon was suspended one game and fined for "inappropriate actions (that) contributed to inciting the incident," and Duncan for "inappropriate and aggressive actions."

The suspensions are to begin today.

"When you look at the guy, Lloyd McClendon, who seems to think the way to manage a ballclub is to intimidate his players (and) other teams - is to intimidate somebody - and he gets virtually a slap on the wrist," Duncan said when reached at the team's hotel in Houston. "He's the most responsible for what happened because of the approach he took, because of the way he handled it. ... Lloyd McClendon is an idiot. This guy is off the wall. It was completely different than what he thought happened."

Hostilities have simmered between the Cardinals and the Pirates - more specifically, the Cardinals and McClendon - for several seasons.

They spiked on the Cardinals' recent trip into Pittsburgh, after a hard slide into second base by Hector Luna injured Pirates second baseman Jose Castillo's knee and ended his season. The next day, reliever Rick White, a former Cardinal, buzzed Luna with a high-and-tight pitch. It was that pitch that prompted Duncan to approach White before the Aug. 24 game.

McClendon reportedly took exception to Duncan talking to White.

"When I was informed of what (Major League Baseball) had decided, I was shocked," Duncan said Thursday. "To think that I had had a conversation with a player that I had previously coached - not a threatening conversation, not a warning conversation, but a casual conversation with a player I had previously coached. And somebody that I considered a friend. And to be confronted and called out by the manager of the opposing team, in front of our team, embarrassed by the approach he took and challenged by him in front of our team. And then sucker-punched by one of his thug coaches. And I get suspended?

"I was shocked," he concluded, "but not surprised."

La Russa also said he was surprised, adding: "We did what we had to do at the time, and we handled it professionally. That's my comment."

Duncan was last suspended in 2003 as a result of a dispute between Cardinals catcher Mike Matheny and umpire Jerry Crawford, who leaned on Matheny while calling pitches. Duncan, La Russa and Matheny were suspended - in Duncan's case, for one game.

Tension, mixed with occasional incendiary incidents, has dotted the Cardinals and Pirates series for the past two seasons. McClendon charged toward the Cardinals' dugout in June 2004 to confront La Russa about what he believed were inappropriate comments made to Pirates catcher Jason Kendall. McClendon drew La Russa's ire later last season for a brouhaha over reliever Julian Tavarez's grimy brim - the soiled cap that resulted in a suspension for Tavarez.

Luna's slide last week was followed the next day by a pitch into the hands of outfielder So Taguchi. And the high-and-tight buzz of Luna.

Duncan said he approached White to tell him that "busting Luna up and in" risked setting a "precedent" for the Pirates and any hard slides they might take. Duncan said he believes somebody else - the inference being McClendon - had a role "in telling Rick White to dust Luna." White told reporters that "Duncan asked me a question he probably shouldn't have asked."

Duncan said Thursday that McClendon's reaction to the conversation he had with White provoked the incident. McClendon and La Russa spoke for several minutes after the two skirmishes, and Crawford, the chief of the crew for that series, met with the managers for an additional 15 minutes.

There were no incidents in that night's game, nor in the series' finale the next evening. The National League Central foes close the Cardinals' next home stand with a three-game series that begins Sept. 12.

"There will be peace," McClendon said at the time.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Sept 12 - 14

Lloyd - welcome to hell!

Comment

If anyone is an idiot it's Gerald Perry.

Comment

Dunc also called Perry "a thug"

Good times.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I can't believe Duncan got suspended for getting punched by some "thug" punk ass mother fucker that wasn't even involved in the discussion.

Fuck Bud and fuck Perry. Fuck Lloyd too.
          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
          --Suck it cubbies.
          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by "F"_the_Cubs@Sep 2 2005, 07:50 AM
            I can't believe Duncan got suspended for getting punched by some "thug" punk ass mother fucker that wasn't even involved in the discussion.

Fuck Bud and fuck Perry. Fuck Lloyd too.
            I'm not sure I understand your feelings on the matter.

-RBB

Comment

People are just figuring out McClendon is a tool?

I've known that for a few years.

Attempted intimidation is a staple for him. It's so fucking 60s.

No wonder his team always finishes last and they can't keep any of their good players.
              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Motherfucker is generally considered one word.

Honest question: Was it appropriate for Duncan to approach Rick White, or should Dunc have asked Lloyd? Or should Tony have been the one to talk with White and/or Lloyd? Did Dunc really violate a "rule" in approaching White? White sure thought he did and so did Lloyd.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 2 2005, 08:58 AM
                  Was it appropriate for Duncan to approach Rick White, or should Dunc have asked Lloyd? Or should Tony have been the one to talk with White and/or Lloyd? Did Dunc really violate a "rule" in approaching White? White sure thought he did and so did Lloyd.

Moon

No, no, yes, yes.

Duncan gets the suspension for even putting himself in that situation.
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Sep 2 2005, 09:58 AM
                    Motherfucker is generally considered one word.

Moon
                    :P

Thanks Moon. When I say it though I generally have a small "pause" inbetween "mother" and "fucker".

I don't like to say it as one word. It comes out too fast. Personal preference you know.
                    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                    --Suck it cubbies.
                    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain+Sep 2 2005, 09:39 AM-->
                      QUOTE(RedBirdBrain @ Sep 2 2005, 09:39 AM)

Originally posted by TTB@Sep 2 2005, 10:51 AM
                      People are just figuring out McClendon is a tool?

I've known that for a few years.

Attempted intimidation is a staple for him. It's so fucking 60s.

No wonder his team always finishes last and they can't keep any of their good players.
                      Lloyd McClendon and the Pirates: A classic case of little man syndrome if there ever was one.
                      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

McClendon fires back:

Referring to past incidents involving another NL manager, McClendon told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding Duncan: "I recall that he probably used those same words with Dusty Baker and his staff. Draw your own conclusions."
                        You don't think he's playing the race card, do you?

Asshole.
                        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by "F"_the_Cubs+Sep 2 2005, 11:52 AM-->
                          QUOTE("F"_the_Cubs @ Sep 2 2005, 11:52 AM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan@Sep 3 2005, 09:02 AM
                          McClendon fires back:

Referring to past incidents involving another NL manager, McClendon told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette regarding Duncan: "I recall that he probably used those same words with Dusty Baker and his staff. Draw your own conclusions."
                          You don't think he's playing the race card, do you?

Asshole.
                          Well, did he use the same words?

Comment

Working...
                          X