Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are High Gas Prices Changing the Way You Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are High Gas Prices Changing the Way You Live?

I'm very curious to see how these rising gas prices -- particularly these $3.00 a gallon prices that we currently have are effecting people.

So, an informal survey just out of curiosity. I think most people here are of middle class (or better in the case of Airshark w/ all his HD TiVos and PCs =] ) income and since wer'e the ones who actually make America work and fuel our economy (no pun intended), I wonder how we're reacting.

Personally, my plans this weekend will not change. I am going to drive 25 miles to and from a high school football game this Friday. Saturday, I'll do work around the house and probably go out to dinner. Same thing Sunday. Monday I'll BBQ and maybe go to a friend's house and relax. Cost in terms of gas? Probably about $10 for the weekend.

I feel horrible about posting that sort of thing while watching the news and seeing all the horrible, sickening, just almost beyond imagination things that are happening in the South, but that's my plans.

What about you guys? How are the high gas prices changing your life? Or are they?
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

I love driving around the area when I get bored, but since gas prices keep rising, I've cut back on doing that.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Nope....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Unfortunately, no. I had already planned to spend the weekend in Memphis. But overall, I have really begun watching my extra errands that could wait, since I am one of those bastard SUV-driving people. I am looking for a more fuel efficient 2nd vehicle, but it will have to wait until after the 1st of the year.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

These answers are part of why the price has been increasing and will continue to increase. Until the price changes the way people live we will see never see it go backwards. Why would anybody lower the price of something if people will still buy it at a higher price?

Comment

Don't look now, but the price of wood has jumped due to this....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I think that's certainly part of it.
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I am staying close to home for the weekend. Planned on boating all weekend but will probably only go one day as a result of the gas prices. It already costs $80 - $100 to fill the boat and at the current prices it would be around 150.00.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

I am reassessing the excursion to San Francisco that I had planned for Monday and Tuesday.
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I was planning on driving to Vegas this weekend. The gas prices has canceled those plans. The price of gas at the station I usually fill up at was $3.09 a gallon when I was driving home today, up from $2.65 when I was driving home on Tuesday. The price of gas on the highway that connects Vegas and LA is enormously high anyway as they try to gouge the people driving to and from LA so I can only imagine what it's going to be this weekend. I'd be willing to bet it will be well over $4 a gallon.

I'll stay in LA, chill out by the pool and watch a ton of college football.

Comment

The more I think about gas prices, the more I careless about them. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see the gas prices where they are, its a bit aggravating, but instead of drinking that $7 beer at the football game, or instead of buying that pack of cigarettes, or sack of pot, or whatever it is you spend your money on, you adjust and spend it on what it needs to be spent on first.

Fortunately for me, I am not one of the people who have to choose between food and gas or make any extreme sacrifices like that. For those people, I totally understand the frustration and I hope some kind of relief comes soon...for me though, its just bitching.
                      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Great topic, Winston.

I live in Chicago and have family in Decatur (central Illinois) where I grew up. I was planning on taking my two girls down for a small family reunion with some relatives from many different places including the St. Louis area. I'm seriously considering not going now because the round trip will cost me around $90 just for gas alone.

MUST purchase a Prius very soon.
                        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Thanks, dhabb.

The thing about a Prius is that it wouldn't necessarily help you on that trip. In fact, it might be worse than taking an Accord.

The hybrid engines only work in town, when you're on the interstate you're using the same old engine.

There really is no good solution.

Comment

I plan on driving into work this weekend, a 5 mile trek, but that's about the only driving I'll be doing.

However, I'll be driving my Trailblazer from here to Plainfield, IL. Then, starting the 10th, I plan on driving a rental car in Arizona for about a week.

So, in short, the gas prices probably won't effect my driving habits extremely, but it probably will effect other non-necessity habits I have.

Comment

I don't plan on changing my plans at all, since I already budgeted for the weekend.

Friday: work early shift (8-430), and then I head down to Folkfest, which is basically a 10 block party hosted by the neighborhood churches.

Saturday: work til 9, but will stop at Folkfest for more food and probably a few drinks

Sunday: I'm off, but I'm sure I'll end up at either the church's block party, or the one sponsored by the city that is held a mile or so away. I swear this weekend is the only time where it is socially acceptable to be walking the streets completely hammered.

Since both parties are less than a mile away - or in the case of the one held by the churches, it's about an 1/8 mile - there's a good chance my car won't move all weekend. I'll take my bike to work tommorow and Saturday, since I need to run the gas out of it before it goes into the shop this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X