The Iraq-Katrina link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Iraq-Katrina link

The hurricane reminds me of the war in this regard -- what government officials say doesn't match what I see on my television screen.

I know this is an absolute disaster, but I can't believe that we wouldn't know how to rescue 50,000 soldiers stuck at the Superdome. There has to be a more efficient way to get those people out of there.....
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

In theory, the soliders being rescued would be trained, commanded and more manageable than 50,000 desperate, cabin-fevered, angry civilians.

Otherwise, agreed.

Comment

Maybe I'm unrealistic, and maybe this is going on anyway, but I want to see giant transport helicopters and Army trucks and anything else. Forget school buses. Get those people out of there....get them food, water, a bath, and worry what we do next later.
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Can't you fit more people on a bus than on the copters/trucks? I really don't know. Plus, they probably have a ton of buses easily at their disposal. How many transport copters could they really get?

The airport is functional, right? Can't they just bus them there and throw them on one of those huge military cargo jets and get them somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Sep 1 2005, 09:41 AM
          Can't you fit more people on a bus than on the copters/trucks? I really don't know. Plus, they probably have a ton of buses easily at their disposal. How many transport copters could they really get?

The airport is functional, right? Can't they just bus them there and throw them on one of those huge military cargo jets and get them somewhere?

Can they get to the airport by ground transportation?
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Black Hawk Down.
            From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Sep 1 2005, 09:41 AM

That's what I was thinking. I'm halfway thinking we should just drive down there and bring a family back in our cars. This is absolutely horrible.
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Isn't the problem GETTING to the damn place?

Comment

Kenny ... you're right.

But there are two things at play here:

1) The equipment isn't in place. It's coming.

2) They were helicoptering people out of the dome, but someone started shooting at the helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan+Sep 1 2005, 10:44 AM-->
                    QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 1 2005, 10:44 AM)

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Sep 1 2005, 09:44 AM
                    I can't believe the Army doesn't have some piece of equipment that can get there.
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

If they got people out of the Superdome too easily, it wouldn't make for a good made for TV movie.

NBC is responsible for those people still being there. I can't wait to see Bill Paxton star as the property manager in "Superdome: Katrina's bitch"
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Sep 1 2005, 10:44 AM
                        Maybe.

But I, sitting in my cube in Chicago and having watched a half-hour of CNN last night, am now an expert. You should listen to what I have to say.

What we Really need is a giant Harrier that can take off and land vertically, that way we can just pick them up at the Superdome or wherever. Also, it should hold at least 20,000 people. That way we only have to make three or four trips.

Problem solved.

Comment

kbf,

In a word yes this could be handled better.

You have to remember this - the people being rescued or some of the poorest in NO so no great sense of urgency.

Rescue of thousands takes coordination - we don't have anything close to that in NO or the hurricane area. It is a vast area comprising several states and municipalities. The ideal candidate to take over - the federal government is not prepared - having never had a situation close to this.

The longer this goes on the worse it gets - I have to believe criminals are trying their best to get into NO under any pretense they can.
                          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan+Sep 1 2005, 10:46 AM-->
                            QUOTE(kennyboyerfan @ Sep 1 2005, 10:46 AM)
                          Working...
                          X