• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmeiro: Perhaps earplugs bad idea

Palmeiro: earplugs perhaps a bad idea

Canadian Press

8/31/2005 6:27:55 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Rafael Palmeiro didn't need his earplugs Wednesday as the troubled first baseman wasn't in the Baltimore Orioles lineup a day after getting booed mercilessly by Toronto Blue Jays fans.

Desperate to block out the jeers and crude heckles from a vocal Rogers Centre crowd of 25,311 Tuesday night, Palmeiro inserted big earplugs that were caught by TV cameras after his first at-bat.

They didn't help him at the plate as he went 0-for-4 in the 7-2 loss, leaving him hitless in his last 18 at-bats and 2-for-26 overall since he returned Aug. 11 from his 10-game suspension for using a banned substance.

Given the stir they created, Palmeiro isn't sure if he'll wear them again.

''I've never been in a situation where I'm getting booed so badly and I just don't really know how to handle it,'' Palmeiro told a throng of media. ''I don't mind getting booed, I've been booed before, I was just trying to concentrate on my at-bats and trying to really do the best I can to help my team.

''At the time, I thought that was the best I could do. Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do but I did what I had to do at the time.''

What Palmeiro needs to do now is show manager Sam Perlozzo that he's healthy enough to play.

Perlozzo, who thought the earplugs were a bad idea, said Palmeiro wouldn't get back into the lineup until he proved that he was completely healthy on the field. The 41-year-old has been battling a sore right knee and sprained right ankle, injuries which cost him his job as the everyday first baseman.

Palmeiro's batting average is down to .266, with 18 homers and 60 RBIs in 110 games.

''He can't help us halfway,'' said Perlozzo. ''It's difficult just to DH him.''

The toll of coping with fan anger over his suspension and his subsequent on-field struggles were visible on Palmeiro on Wednesday, as he looked sullen and withdrawn as he went about his business in the Orioles clubhouse.

He was able to crack a smile briefly once he took the field for pre-game stretching and met with a Vietnam veteran by the Orioles dugout, who offered Palmeiro some encouragement.

''It takes a lot of guts,'' he said to Palmeiro. ''Don't let people get to you.''

Moments later, when Palmeiro turned to face reporters, he said they had got to him.

''It's been hard, it hasn't been easy,'' he said. ''I've survived it so far. I'm dealing with it on a daily basis.''

Palmeiro declined to speak with reporters following the Tuesday game after he was told by a team employee that the media would ask questions about his earplugs.

Wearing them was a decision made at the spur of the moment, he said Wednesday.

''It's just hard to really focus when the whole stadium is booing and yelling. That's fine. So I thought that would maybe be a way to block out some of the booing and stuff. That's the way it goes.

''I'm trying to separate it when I get up to the plate, I'm trying to be able to focus and concentrate on what I'm trying to do and that's why I was trying to eliminate some of the loud screams and yelling.''

Taking attention away from his teammates is also wearing on Palmeiro.

Celebrated earlier this year after he collected his 3,000th hit, making him one of only four players ever with that many hits and 500 home runs, he's now become a distraction on team that's falling apart.

''No one seemed to want to talk about our game,'' said Palmeiro. ''Even our manager had to comment on the situation and no one really focused on the game and to me that's sad because it's taking away from baseball and the game.''

Perlozzo could see at least one bright spot in the earplugs fiasco.

''I probably would rather not see that,'' he said. ''I'm sure it helped him a little bit but, if I were a betting man, I would bet it brought attention to it. ...

''At least he's trying to deal with it. It shows me he was trying to focus out the noise and help the team.''
    Still waiting for him to tell his side of the story..

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Originally posted by *007*@Aug 31 2005, 09:00 PM
    Still waiting for him to tell his side of the story..
    He must be getting advice from Iggy.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Nice job Ray, that is big for him I hope.

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by DLove@Aug 31 2005, 09:32 PM
        Nice job Ray, that is big for him I hope.

Umm...wrong thread?
        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW+Aug 31 2005, 08:37 PM-->
          QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Aug 31 2005, 08:37 PM)

Originally posted by DLove+Aug 31 2005, 09:41 PM-->
          QUOTE(DLove @ Aug 31 2005, 09:41 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2005, 08:37 PM

I feel so sorry for him. How pissed does Pete Rose have to be right now. I'm surprised we haven't heard more from him on this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by chazzz@Aug 31 2005, 08:06 PM
            I feel so sorry for him. How pissed does Pete Rose have to be right now. I'm surprised we haven't heard more from him on this stuff.

What does A have to do with B? Other than the fact that Palmeiro's HoF chances look very iffy right now?
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

i'd feel sorry for him if he would talk and had a good excuse, but so far he's an idiot that got caught.

Comment

I hope rose is infinitely pissed. But then I don't know what he has to do with Palmeiro either.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Working...
                X