Pork-laden prone Republican Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork-laden prone Republican Congress

Here we go again. Where are the fiscal conservative Republicans? Will Bush veto?
    Election year politics at it's best, only now it is within the same party.

$275 Billion Highway Bill Passes Easily in the House
    Pork-Laden Measure Above Bush Spending Limit

By Dan Morgan
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, April 3, 2004; Page A01

The House, in an unusually strong rebuff to the White House, voted 357 to 65 yesterday to approve a $275 billion transportation bill that exceeds a spending limit set by President Bush and is laden with thousands of highway and bridge projects for lawmakers' districts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...6-2004Apr2.html

My guess is that "Pork" will win this battle.
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

The vote tally:

Yay -

Reps - 162
    Dems - 194

Nay -

Reps - 59
    Dems - 6

try again Nick.

Comment

So, only 3 out of 4 (73%) of House Republicans favor this pork-laden bill.

Good point, solo.
      Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Dick2 = Dumbass
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

My understanding is that they have enough votes to override a veto...No?

Anyway, it is part and parcel of what we can expect from our elected representatives. So much for the concern about the deficit. From either side. I can see it is really worrisome to them.

How can they continue to cast dire warnings about the unbalanced budget, how devastating it will be, but immediately approve extraneous spending?

So, forget the soundbites and the rhetoric, what they are actually saying is that fiscally, "everything is fine, more or less".
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Apr 3 2004, 09:06 AM
            So, only 3 out of 4 (73%) of House Republicans favor this pork-laden bill.

Good point, solo.
            and 94% of the dems voted for this measure.

you are too fixated on one side of the party when in reality both dems and reps are pretty much guilty for this stupid pork-ladden bill, the dems even more than the reps based on the percentages.

wake up nick.

han solo

Comment

"Rep. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) charged in a news release that the bill would "literally pave over the recent House-passed budget resolution," undermining Congress's ability to reduce the deficit. But an amendment by Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) that could have wiped out pet projects of lawmakers and diverted the money to the regular highway aid program went down to defeat on Thursday, 367 to 60."

They will easily override a veto, and Bush knows that. So-- to gain political points with the voters-- Bush will veto the bill. He wants it both ways.

He's as big a smuk as Damtoft!

Comment

Hey solo: 367 to 60 says it all!

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Apr 3 2004, 08:48 AM
                  "Rep. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) charged in a news release that the bill would "literally pave over the recent House-passed budget resolution," undermining Congress's ability to reduce the deficit. But an amendment by Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) that could have wiped out pet projects of lawmakers and diverted the money to the regular highway aid program went down to defeat on Thursday, 367 to 60."

They will easily override a veto, and Bush knows that. So-- to gain political points with the voters-- Bush will veto the bill. He wants it both ways.

He's as big a smuk as Damtoft!
                  So, let me get this straight.

You now believe bush is so intelligent and wily that he got both republicans and democrats alike to vote so overwhelmingly in favor of this bill, even though they didn't want it, so that he could publicly veto a bill even though his veto carries no weight. And we know that he has a fetish and pre existing desire to over fund highway projects.

nick, I think your blind admiration for GWB has gone too far. He is nowhere near as smart as you give him credit for.
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Daze,

One day, Dick2 will tell you he's "Dumbya"

The next day, he's a diabolical genius.
                    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

You know believe bush is so intelligent and wily that he got both republicans and democrats alike to vote so overwhelmingly in favor of this bill, even though they didn't want, so that he could publicly veto a bill even though his veto carries no weight. And we know that he has a fetish and pre existing desire to over fund highway projects.

nick, I think your blind admiration for GWB has gone too far. He is nowhere near as smart as you give him credit for.
                      No lazy, I am not saying Dubya is smart enough to have planned this out. What I am saying, and the FACTS are saying, is that Bush has a tiger by the tail-- a Republican controlled, spendthrift Congress that he no longer can control.

However, the Bush handlers will be clever enough to still make political hay out of the emerging bad situation.

Savvy?

Comment

Damtoft: Stick to pill-counting!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Apr 3 2004, 10:39 AM

DingedTwice-

He's giving you a lot..a lot..of latitude here...

Which one is it..frankly, we'd all like to know??

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Apr 3 2004, 09:52 AM
                              Hey solo: 367 to 60 says it all!
                              Your words:

Here we go again. Where are the fiscal conservative Republicans? Will Bush veto?
                              Election year politics at it's best, only now it is within the same party.

You are ignoring the forest to look at a tree.

han solo

Comment

Working...
                              X