Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLN names Emrick lead PBP announcer

Press release:

STAMFORD, CT (August 30, 2005) - OLN, the exclusive, national cable television home of the National Hockey League, announced veteran NHL announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick as the main play-by-play voice for the network's NHL coverage this upcoming season.

In his 25th year of NHL play-by-play announcing, Emrick began his hockey career in 1973 as caller for the IHL Port Huron Flags. He has been the voice of the New Jersey Devils since 1993, and was previously play-by-play announcer for the Philadelphia Flyers from 1988 to 1993. He has announced NHL games for all of the major television networks and has received several awards, including the 1997 National CableACE Award for best play-by-play, the 1997 and 2004 New York Emmy Awards for his Devils telecasts, and the 2004 Lester Patrick Trophy.

"The addition of Doc Emrick to our team is the first step in bringing fans first-rate hockey coverage on OLN," said Marc Fein, Senior Vice President of Programming and Production for the network. "Doc set the standard in this industry and we're excited he is going to be a part of the NHL on OLN. With the new rules, increased access and the new partnership between the NHL and OLN, fans will see hockey like they've never seen it before."

Emrick is a member of the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame selection committee, has served as Vice President of the NHL Broadcaster's Association since 1985 and editor of the NHL Pronunciation Guide since 1982. He earned his Bachelor's degree in speech from Manchester College in 1968, a Master's degree in radio/television from Miami University in Ohio in 1969 and a Doctorate in radio/television/film from Bowling Green State University in 1976, which earned him the nickname "Doc," as he's known to many of is fans.

Emrick will be part of an announcing team that will call OLN's NHL games on Monday and Tuesday nights. More additions to OLN's hockey commentating team will be released as details become available. The NHL season begins on Wednesday, October 5 when OLN will present the Rangers vs. Flyers. A complete schedule will be released shortly.

OLN is the leader in competitive and adrenaline-charged content. Now in more than 64 million homes, OLN is the cable home of the National Hockey League and best-in-class events like The Tour de France, The America's Cup, Professional Bull Riders (PBR), the Boston Marathon and USSA Skiing. The network offers unique programming in four primary areas: Action Sports, Field Sports, Bulls & Rodeo and Awe-Inspiring Series, and is the exclusive home of Survivor in syndication. OLN, a wholly owned company of Comcast Corporation, is distributed via cable systems and satellite operators throughout the United States.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

I was holding out hope for Steve Levy.

Not.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

CENTERING FEED!!!

Comment

Now, sign that baseball contract, and start running a nightly sports highlight show, and I'll never have to watch ESPN again.

Except for "Pardon the Interruption".
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

oh no, not emrick!!!

Comment

Speaking of competition for ESPN, I hear Sports Illustrated may get back into the sports network game, this time without CNN.

Comment

Emerick is top-notched. I hardly remember hockey, it's been so long, but he's got to be one of the top two or three hockey announcers.
              The Redman

Sponsorship Available
              Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Aug 30 2005, 06:51 PM
                Speaking of competition for ESPN, I hear Sports Illustrated may get back into the sports network game, this time without CNN.

http://sportlounge.net/forum/index.php?sho...ic=32478&hl=oln

Comment

Originally posted by CSD+Aug 30 2005, 05:53 PM-->
                  QUOTE(CSD @ Aug 30 2005, 05:53 PM)

good pick...hope JD comes is with him

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

OLN must hire Bill Clement.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 30 2005, 06:06 PM
                      OLN must hire Bill Clement.
                      Definitely....i like where this is going...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*@Aug 30 2005, 06:03 PM
                        good pick...hope JD comes is with him
                        I agree. I never had a problem with Emrick. It'll be a nice change of pace from Gary Thorne.

No more Oleg "Tver-dorf-sky" or Paul "Kariyer".

Comment

Originally posted by JWB+Aug 30 2005, 06:08 PM-->
                          QUOTE(JWB @ Aug 30 2005, 06:08 PM)

competition for ESPN may be exactly what they need. i hate what they've become

Comment

Working...
                          X