The Big Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Easy

Why not just build a city on top of Mount Everest? I understand the economic history behind it's creation but, for goodness sake, if you're going to live somewhere, why choose (the blues and jazz can be heard virtually anywhere these days) at a place where the Mississippi splashes into the Gulf and the city itself is under sea-level these days and then be expected to be bailed out by the rest of us?

All of us taxpayers are going to pay for these folks stupidity of location again. The insurance companies will a bit, and then leave like they did in South Florida. So, it's left to us in the rest of the country to pay for these folks brain cramps.

Cold-hearted? We've got charities to deal with the 'lives' of those who made these bad decisions or had the misfortune of being born to parents and generations who knew no geography.

I'm in a business where a lot of my friends will probably go belly-up because of the government's insistance on providing protection for areas like this....that has always been a loser and has caused THOUSANDS of lost jobs as a result.

This is another one of those catastrophes that is ONLY one because people are putting themself in danger. It's their choice. A bad one. One they chose to make. And one that, apparently, ALL of us will have to pay for.

Did you say the same about Florida last year?
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

The same shit with Chesterfield. The damn levee is going to break, and we'll all pay.
      Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Aug 30 2005, 01:51 PM
        Why not just build a city on top of Mount Everest? I understand the economic history behind it's creation

You should have ended your post right there. New Orleans is one of the most important seaports in the USA. It is the drainage mouth of the Mississippi River, which included the Missouri and Ohio in its basin and probably drains a third of the lower 48. People don't live there to play chicken with the weather.

And, like I said in the other thread, this line of thinking is fundamentally misguided. Every single person on the eastern seaboard and Gulf Coast is at risk of a hurricane. Everyone in the big cities on California's coast are at risk of an earthquake. Seattle lives at the foot of Mt. Rainier, which could blow up and kill them all. And the good people of St. Louis live next to a huge river and very close to its junction with another huge river, one which spilled its banks and created a shitload of damage not all that many years ago. Are all those people stupid?
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Aug 30 2005, 04:00 PM
          The same shit with Chesterfield. The damn levee is going to break, and we'll all pay.
          You really can't compare the Gumbo Flats to New Orleans....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Yes, as I have for 3 decades. Maybe not on this mode of correspondence but, if not, certainly on those who were directly affected by this continuum of geographical ignornace.

Comment

Is there anyplace in the entire country that is not subject to some sort of natural disaster?
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
              Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
              Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
              Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
              NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
              LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

So is it my fault for living on a fault line that is lines for major earthquake someday? Nothing is ever "safe" from anything.
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Let 'em rebuild, and anyone who chooses to do so should bear sole financial responsibility for their fate. I don't want higher insurance rates or taxes to bail them out.
                  Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Arizona is safe, hotter than hell in the summer, but safe...
                    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by kah+Aug 30 2005, 03:00 PM-->
                      QUOTE(kah @ Aug 30 2005, 03:00 PM)

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 30 2005, 03:04 PM
                      Is there anyplace in the entire country that is not subject to some sort of natural disaster?
                      McRee town.
                      Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 30 2005, 03:04 PM
                        Las Vegas doesn't have hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or rain. I guess we're on some sort of fault plate but I haven't heard about it.

The devil just gives us heat.

Lots and lots of burning heat.
                        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

We get an occasional tornado. The last one that did any significant damage was 15-20 years ago.
                          Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb+Aug 30 2005, 04:10 PM-->
                            QUOTE(lasvegasreb @ Aug 30 2005, 04:10 PM)
                          Working...
                          X