Today's stupid toss-up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's stupid toss-up question

The discussion about Jose Guillen made me wonder: Let's say that Barry Bonds was healthy and poised to hit many, many homers over the next six-seven weeks. Let's say the Giants were willing to rent him to us for, say, John Gall.

Would you do it? Even if it would guarantee you a World Series championship?

Not me. I'd rather be as bad as the than see Barry wearing the birds on the bat.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

yaks would do it.

Comment

That would probably be the one guy in all of baseball that I wouldn't make that bargain for.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Get Shilling's surgically enhanced ankle.

Just the ankle.

On a stick.

On display.
        Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

There are a lot of things I'd do if it meant the Cards winning the series. But having him on the team would take so much joy out of it that it wouldn't be the same. I'd take our chances with what we've got.

Comment

Let's see...someone to protect Pujols, power in the OF to make up for loss of Rolen, Huge ego offset by going for a ring and a strong clubhouse...if you wouldn't make that deal (Gall) you are drowning in the Kool-Aid...
            "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

It's Barry "Freakin" Bonds we are talking about right? One of the best hitters any of us has ever seen, right? Get Jocketty on the phone...
              "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

I don't think there's any question...you get Bonds.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Aug 30 2005, 08:38 AM
                  I don't think there's any question...you get Bonds.
                  ++

If I have a choice of falling short w/ a bunch of good ole boys that everyone loves

or

Winning with a group of fucking assholes

I'll win with a group of assholes.
                  You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Beyond that...people need to understand pro sports are a business, not a family reunion.
                    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

CRC and BBZ are being honest.

Respectfully speaking, if anyone here says otherwise, you're lying to us and yourselves.

That, or your priorities are completely and momentarily out of whack!
                      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Nope. I'd love to win with a group of assholes. Just not THAT asshole.

Moon

Comment

Not me. If Bonds was on the team, I wouldn't even watch the playoffs. There are some things worse than losing.

On the other hand, it would be nice to cheer for somebody sure to win the MVP.....
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Aug 30 2005, 07:44 AM
                            CRC and BBZ are being honest.

Respectfully speaking, if anyone here says otherwise, you're lying to us and yourselves.
                            Well, let's consider.

Me, to Myself: Myself, am I lying when I say I wouldn't want Barry Bonds, even if I knew it guaranteed a World Series title?

Myself answers: No, I'm not. I like baseball because it's entertaining and enjoyable, and Barry Bonds on my favorite team would make it much less entertaining and enjoyable. He's an asshole, and he's almost certainly a cheater, and I would get little joy out of watching him in a Cardinal uniform, no matter how many home runs he hit. So I'd rather take my chances with a very good, non-Barry Cardinal team than take a guaranteed title that had Barry Bonds attached to it.

So I'm not lying to myself. Y'all will have to take it on faith that I'm not lying to you. Pretty much any other player you could name I wouldn't say this about, but Barry--no. Just no.
                            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan@Aug 30 2005, 08:48 AM
                              Not me. If Bonds was on the team, I wouldn't even watch the playoffs. There are some things worse than losing.

On the other hand, it would be nice to cheer for somebody sure to win the MVP.....
                              I can certainly respect a dissenting view.

But, although I'm not a Bonds fan, I AM a huge Cardinals fan. I have absolutely no problem separating personal feelings from the business of and historical precedence of baseball.

None.

And it's not as if the Cardinals have never had an asshole or two donning the Birds on the Bat logo. As I recall, they were cheered for, too.
                              "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X