Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mizzou's Chase Daniel wins back-up QB spot ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizzou's Chase Daniel wins back-up QB spot ...

No problem with the guy being a stud, but unless he beats out Brad Smith, why would you play him? Also, Chase Patton ... he's gotta transfer at this point.

Confident? Yes, but Daniel also had an edge
    By Graham Watson
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/29/2005

COLUMBIA, Mo. - There has been a noticeable swagger about freshman quarterback Chase Daniel from the moment he stepped on campus.

It's not a cocky swagger, but a confidence that rarely is seen in freshman athletes. It's a confidence to which his new Missouri teammates and coaches have gravitated.

"Chase has handled himself really well coming in because it's hard for a freshman to move up like that," running back Tony Temple said. "Also, to try to be a leader and not be cocky and everything; the same poise he uses outside of football with his friends he uses on the field, and I think that's what sets him apart."

Daniel is a winner. He proved it by losing just one game as starter at Southlake (Texas) Carroll High School, and he proved it Monday when coach Gary Pinkel announced that he had won the second-string quarterback position. Advertisement

"I've never seen a freshman like this since I've coached, including Brad," Pinkel said. "He was very well coached in high school; you can tell that. But he's also a very, very confident young man. Certainly, he'll tell you he doesn't have all the answers. I'm not trying to imply that, but it was very, very competitive between all those guys, and he won the job."

Daniel was notified of his move up the depth chart Friday, the day after the team closed scrimmage. In that scrimmage, Daniel said he went 11-of-13 and led the team's only two touchdown drives. His play in the scrimmage sealed the deal for the coaching staff.

Quarterbacks coach David Yost said Daniel drew attention to himself after the first couple of practices and scrimmage. From there, Yost said the coaching staff encouraged Daniel to go after the second-string spot because they wanted to see how he and the other quarterbacks responded to the competition.

Daniel said that Friday, the coaching staff told him that he'd had the best fall camp of all of the quarterbacks, that he will not redshirt and that he definitely will play.

It was a surprise to Daniel, who came into the season thinking he was going to be redshirted. Daniel's high school coach, Todd Dodge, said that he has been telling Daniel since January that he needed to be prepared to start. He said he didn't want Daniel to come into college with the mind-set that he would redshirt because sometimes it leads to lackadaisical play. That's why Dodge made it a point to emphasize making a full effort in fall camp.

"I wouldn't say I wasn't listening to him, but I just didn't believe him," Daniel said. "He said, 'Be in there and compete for the starter.' He said, 'I know Brad's the starter, but compete.' I followed his advice, but I really thought I was going to redshirt. But coach Dodge kept telling me to keep preparing."

Yost said Daniel came in trained to play college football better than any other freshman he had coached. He attributed that training to Dodge, who had been preparing Daniel for Division I football since he was in eighth grade.

But Daniel also had familiarity on his side.

Because Missouri runs a similar offense to that of Daniel's former high school, Daniel said that he came into this season knowing about 75 percent to 80 percent of the plays already in Missouri's playbook. Those plays are taught in Southlake as early as the seventh grade, and every team in Southlake, from middle school to varsity, uses the same playbook.

Daniel said that, with the exception of the reads, the plays weren't really that much different. He said that he thinks that has been the main factor for his success this season. Yost agrees.

Yost and other Missouri coaches, learned parts of Missouri's offense from Dodge. Dodge came to the university two summers ago and taught the offense to group of coaches around the state.

In an interview with the Post-Dispatch last October, Dodge said Daniel should have no trouble adjusting to Division I football, especially in Missouri's shotgun offense.

"I think Chase could be all-conference material in any conference he goes to," Dodge said. "I think he's in the line of Michael Bishop from Kansas State, and I think he's in the line of Brad Smith. He's got those kind of abilities. He was one point away from taking his team to a state championship in his first year starting. That's what Missouri saw in him; that's why they wanted him."

Although Pinkel and Yost said they were not sure where Daniel would fit in the lineup, Daniel might see action as soon as Saturday's game against Arkansas State at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

It's a challenge that a confident Daniel welcomes.

"I came in here wanting to get the job, of course, but I didn't think it would happen this quick," Daniel said. "Not many quarterbacks get the opportunity to come in as a backup and get to see the field. That's something that I am overjoyed about and have mixed feelings about.

"I can't wait to get on the field. This whole week, I've been on Cloud Nine; now; I've got to get on the field and show it."
    Dude. Can. Fly.

If Pinkel runs the same offense that he ran last year, I'd rather have a QB like Daniel rather than Smith running it. From what I've heard though, the offense this year is more suited to Smith's abilities.

Why did Chase Patten come to Mizzou?
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 30 2005, 07:44 AM
      If Pinkel runs the same offense that he ran last year, I'd rather have a QB like Daniel rather than Smith running it. From what I've heard though, the offense this year is more suited to Smith's abilities.

Why did Chase Patten come to Mizzou?
      He was already there. He's a redshirt frosh.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

What happened to Coleman?

Comment

Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 30 2005, 07:54 AM
            What happened to Coleman?

3rd string?
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Aug 30 2005, 09:26 AM-->
              QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Aug 30 2005, 09:26 AM)

I wonder is Pinkel is feeling the heat and wants to keep the best QB available. If Smith goes down and Mizzou tanks, Pinkel may be done, especially in light of the O'Neal death and the team's poor performance last year. If the kid can play and is the 2nd best QB, why redshirt him.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuts_For_Koharski@Aug 30 2005, 09:38 AM
                I wonder is Pinkel is feeling the heat and wants to keep the best QB available. If Smith goes down and Mizzou tanks, Pinkel may be done, especially in light of the O'Neal death and the team's poor performance last year. If the kid can play and is the 2nd best QB, why redshirt him.

If he's the 2nd best QB, he won't play unless there's an injury to Smith. (or if it's late game mop-up duty, but who gives a fuck who's QBing at that point....put in the backup punter for all I care)

If there's an injury to Smith, you can pull the redshirt on Daniel and play him the next game.

The only reason you wouldn't redshirt him is something not football-related. Maybe he's told the school that he'd transfer if he got reshirted.
                Maybe he's told the school that he's going pro in three years, whether he's redshirted or not.
                Maybe it's meant to be a wakeup call to Patton and Coleman and he'll never really play....and request the year of eligibility back in 4 years.

Who knows, but from a pure football sense, it makes no sense to NOT redshirt him.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I can think of 2 things. First, even if he's technically the backup, if Smith stays healthy all year and Daniel doesn't play at all, I believe you can still apply the redshirt year. Second, what a lot of coaches are starting to do now is get the younger backup a couple of series per game so that he does have game experience when it's his turn.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor:
                  Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                  The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                  Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

"I've never seen a freshman like this since I've coached, including Brad," Pinkel said. "He was very well coached in high school; you can tell that. But he's also a very, very confident young man. Certainly, he'll tell you he doesn't have all the answers. I'm not trying to imply that, but it was very, very competitive between all those guys, and he won the job."

The future is NOW!
                    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Aug 30 2005, 08:47 AM
                      I can think of 2 things. First, even if he's technically the backup, if Smith stays healthy all year and Daniel doesn't play at all, I believe you can still apply the redshirt year. Second, what a lot of coaches are starting to do now is get the younger backup a couple of series per game so that he does have game experience when it's his turn.

3rd option:

Redshirts don't matter for guys that will turn pro in a couple of years anyway.

Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Chase Patten is the one from Texas right? He has already been red-shirted a year or is he being red-shirted this year?
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 30 2005, 11:26 AM
                          Chase Patten is the one from Texas right? He has already been red-shirted a year or is he being red-shirted this year?
                          Patton is the redshirt from Missouri. Daniel is the true freshman from Texas.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor:
                          Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                          The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                          Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa+Aug 30 2005, 10:30 AM-->
                            QUOTE(Lippa @ Aug 30 2005, 10:30 AM)
                          Working...
                          X