• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacInnis' future still cloudy

MacInnis' future is still clouded
    By Jeremy Rutherford
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/29/2005

A meeting Monday between Blues general manager Larry Pleau and defenseman Al MacInnis did not result in an announcement about MacInnis' NHL future.

MacInnis, who turned 42 on July 11, has not played for the Blues since October 2003, when he had surgery on both eyes to repair a detached retina and overall blurry vision.

An unrestricted free agent, Mac-Innis has indicated that he would only play for the Blues if he did return, but whether a comeback is something that is still in his mind remains unknown.

The Blues' captain was unavailable to comment Monday, and Pleau said that he would not discuss the nature of their conversation.

"We had a nice chat," Pleau said. "We're going to talk again. That's it."

Pleau did maintain the stance he has held regarding MacInnis, saying, "when Al had the serious eye injury, we had to make a decision and we have the same approach that he could not come back to play. That was how we approached things."

Pleau said no timetable exists for another meeting between him and MacInnis, or regarding an announcement from the defenseman.

The Blues have in the past expressed interest in hiring MacInnis in some capacity of their hockey operations, perhaps as an assistant coach under Mike Kitchen.

MacInnis has told the Blues that he is unsure if he would make that sort of commitment after his career.

MacInnis has played 23 NHL seasons, including 10 with the Blues. He has 340 career goals and 934 assists and has won both the Conn Smythe Trophy (as the playoff MVP in 1989) and the Norris Trophy (as the NHL's top defenseman in the 1998-99 season).

Reporter Jeremy Rutherford
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Phone: 314-444-7135

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

"Mac-Innis"?

Comment

*sniffle*

Granted, he's had surgery. Granted, he hasn't played in awhile...

But I want to see him on the ice. One more season.
      "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
      -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulous_Blue@Aug 30 2005, 01:30 AM
        *sniffle*

Granted, he's had surgery. Granted, he hasn't played in awhile...

But I want to see him on the ice. One more season.
        ++

but I don't want him to risk the loss of his sight.
        Feb. 08, 2005
        Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
        Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
        Originally posted by Airshark
        NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Aug 29 2005, 11:15 PM
          "Mac-Innis"?

Don't tell the local sports talkers, who repeatedly call him MA-guinness. :angry:

I'm calling that he'll announce his retirement, Oct 15th, and sometime after Christmas, you'll see #2 raised to the rafters.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels+Aug 30 2005, 08:39 AM-->
            QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Aug 30 2005, 08:39 AM)

From what I've heard it would be very risky for him to return. JJ.

Comment

If he doesn't play again, they'd be fools not to have him stay in the organization. He's the finest gentleman to represent a St Louis sports team since Stanley F Musial.

Comment

He's definitly a great guy. JJ.

Comment

I'd like to see MacInnis call it quits from his NHL career, if he plays it takes minutes away from young players, probably Lynch or Woywitka, if the Blues sign Al MacInnis its obvious to me that Larry Pleau has no clue whatsoever. The Blues are supposed to be in rebuilding mode right now, and when you take away ice time from a 24 year old to give it to a 42 year old, you are not rebuilding, you are in denial.

I understand Al MacInnis is a legend and he is one of the best players to ever wear the Bluenote, thats all great, but I just don't wanna see playing time/a roster spot taken from younger guys who need to play in the NHL to ever mature and become reliable defensemen.

Best case scenario is they talk him into staying on as an assistant coach, so he can help in the development of a young defense. The Blues have Brewer, Jackman, Backman, Salvador, Weinrich, Walker, Woywitka, Lynch, Roach who are all expected to make a legitimate run and playing in the NHL...Other then for a farewell tour, why do they need MacInnis? They don't.
                  You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

They don't need MacInnis? To suggest we not play a hall of famer, who would likely not choose to play if he couldn't play at a high level, is a bit rash.

I'd rather have MacInnis providing some tutoring and leadership on this team, even if his skills have diminished. Lynch and Woywitka will be fine in the minors for another year. Hell, give them Walker or Salvador's ice time if you must.

But to suggest that it is more important to have those two guys playing on the big team than MacInnis, particularly with the lack of depth up front, is not wise.

Moon

Comment

Lynch and Woywitka have paid their dues in the minors, its time for them to play in the NHL. Obviously they have to earn their spots in camp, but I believe they will, they are both talented players and Lynch cracked the Oilers at the end of the 2003-2004 season.

Let me ask you this...How much do you think a 42 year old Al MacInnis helps the Blues? I don't think it helps much at all. I've said previously that I can see the Blues making the playoffs as a lower seed, IF they get the goaltending from Lalime, and IF a guy like Boguniecki or McAmmond has a career year and can be counted on, on a #1 line and #1 PP unit. Even if those things do happen, I don't see the Blues winning a 7 game series against ANY team in the Western Conference. Because of that, I'm against bringing him back. I'd rather see young players get the ice time, learn on the fly...sure there are going to be mistakes and frustrating times, but hopefully by the end of the season those guys who established themselves as reliable defensemen, from everything I've read about them, I have confidence that they would be able to make a positive contribution to the team as early as this season. Over their first 40-50 games in the NHL their ability to create a transition game might be lacking as they adjust to the speed of the league, but it'll come.

I don't know, I just think when you trade Chris Pronger away, you have to do everything you can to help the players you got in return be successful.
                      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Another thing...

It just seems to me that if the Blues bring back MacInnis, it'll be nothing but a PR move (which is a horrible way to run a team). They aren't going anywhere with or without him, and they certainly don't NEED him.

Comment

The season hasn't even started yet. I realize the Blues probably shouldn't be considered cup contenders, but why wouldn't you, at this point, want to put the best possible team out there? It's one thing to tank and play the kids in April. But you can't do it in October.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 30 2005, 07:38 AM
                            The season hasn't even started yet. I realize the Blues probably shouldn't be considered cup contenders, but why wouldn't you, at this point, want to put the best possible team out there? It's one thing to tank and play the kids in April. But you can't do it in October.
                            I just don't think a 42 year old Al MacInnis is much more valuable then a 24 year old Lynch or Woywitka. These guys are both relatively highly thought of prospects.
                            The thing I think alot of people are missing is that Lynch and Woywitka are considered to be "NHL Ready". They are 24/25 years old. It's time.

If the Blues are really thinking they have a shot this year, they need to take that million or two dollars they were thinking about giving to MacInnis and give it to a forward, thats where the real need is on this team, not defense.

The only reason bringing MacInnis back makes any sense whatsoever is from a PR perspective...before this MacInnis talk came up, the Blues already had 9 defenseman with a realistic shot of making the team...only 7 defenseman stay on an NHL roster. That was one of the positives about this team going into the season, depth on defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X