Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 plead guilty for selling fake Livestrong

Associated Press

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Six people have pleaded guilty to charges connected to the sale of thousands of phony LiveStrong wristbands and have turned over almost $112,000 to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer's office said Monday.

In March, undercover investigators bought 1,000 of the counterfeit wristbands from a Manhattan storefront, authorities said.

Investigators said they found 81,000 more there and at a home in Queens. Authorities said importer Eastlink International Inc. distributed the wristbands to retailers around New York City.

The authentic wristbands sell for $1 each and help fund the foundation based in Austin, Texas, that provides services to cancer patients. The Armstrong foundation was started by the seven-time Tour de France winner after he defeated testicular cancer.

Li Ping Liang Chen pleaded guilty to second-degree trademark counterfeiting and was sentenced to pay $101,830 to the foundation.

Su Qin Weng and Ding Chai Ye both pleaded guilty to third-degree trademark counterfeiting and were sentenced to pay $5,000 to the foundation.

Wei Hua Chen, the husband of Li Ping Liang, pleaded guilty to a violation and was sentenced to seven days community service.

Su Ping Qu the husband of Su Qin Weng, pleaded guilty to a violation and was sentenced to five days community service.

Xi Chen pleaded guilty to a violation and was sentenced to four days of community service.

About 55 million real LiveStrong wristbands have been sold since the campaign began in the spring of 2004.

In March, two retailers in Monroe County agreed to pay to pay $12,000 to the Lance Armstrong Foundation and $7,000 in civil penalties for selling fake bands.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Personally cashing in on "charity"?

What, do these people think they're religious leaders now?
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I think Dateline or Primetime live did a show a couple of months ago about this. The vendors tried to act like they didnt know what the reporter was talking about.

Comment

Fucking gooks
        Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
        "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Blues@Aug 29 2005, 05:02 PM
          Fucking gooks
          Tonight, the part of GloveSaveAndaBeauty will be played by Ohio Blues.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Aug 29 2005, 05:17 PM-->
            QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Aug 29 2005, 05:17 PM)
          Working...
          X