Scattershooting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scattershooting....

while wondering whatever happened to Martina Hingas....

- I went to D.C. this weekend to catch the Cards-Nats on Saturday and Sunday with my parents and my sister and her family. We're Cardinal fans solely because of my Dad, who is now in his mid-eighties but is doing great. He grew up in Tampa in the 1920s. As a kid, he went to where the Cards held spring training practice and found a broken bat. He went home and looked up the name on it - Sonny Jim Bottomley - and pronounced himself a Card fan. From then on, he was as big a Card fan as you can find, and he made sure to infect all of his five children with the disease. Our summers were spent travelling to Cardinal games (in '64, I remember Kenny Boyer tripling off of the left field wall in Philly, and the sound the ball made when it hit one of the ads out there), and we listened to KMOX religiously. Our birthday gift to him in 1968 (actually, my mother's gift that she credited to us) were World Series tickets to the first game of the '68 Series. I still have his scorecard with Gibby's strikeouts neatly recorded thereon. At any rate, we show up Saturday at RFK, and Marquis pitches his first shutout ever. My dad goes again today and the Cards shut out the Nats with their relief corp. Ain't nobody in the GDT thread got anything on my Dad when it comes to bringing Cards wins in 2005.

- When Eckstein hit his homer on Saturday, the roar was deafening. Nats fans booed - not Eckstein, but the Cardinal fans who were out-yelling them. I was amazed by the number of Cardinal fans I saw, and the number of Pujols and Rolen jerseys in the stands.

- I had never been to RFK, and thus did not realize what a pitcher's park it is. Fly balls to the outfield just die like no other place I've ever been to. At least five fly balls hit on Saturday would have been homeruns in almost any other park. RFK may also be the least personable ballpark I've been to. I realize that this is a team in limbo but a new park should be first on their list of improvements.

- I've never heard more ill will spoken of a person than I heard spoken of Peter Angelos while I was there.

- The Metro is a nice subway system around D.C., but it sure seemed to me that it would be as easy for terrorists to hit that one as it was for them to hit the Tube.

- This is the official start of the Sportlounge Rules for Etiquette by airlines and by travellers on airplanes. Rule No. 1: If you ask me if I've finished reading my sports section so that you can borrow it, and I give it to you, don't pick your nose while reading it and then hand it back to me. Rule No. 2: If you go to the bathroom on the plane, flush when you're through. Rule No. 3: If you've been to Vegas with your buddies and had a good time, don't tell me about it. Every story I've ever heard sounds exacly the same, and I could give a fuck. If you are going to tell me about it, lean the chair back, order a drink and shut up because I'm going to tell you stories that will put yours to shame. Rule No. 4: If you just made $500,000 by selling your house, you can tell me once. But if you do so in a voice that will allow the pilot to hear it through his headphones, you're going out the front door. Rule No. 5: If you are a reservation agent, and there's a Category 5 hurricane bearing down on the gulf coast, and a passenger from Pensacola asks you if he can change his flight to get home a little earlier than his current reservation allows, try to avoid lecturing him on how much money your airlines lost last year changing reservations.

- Notwithstanding my irritation with flying, I got a show on Friday from Pensacola to Atlanta that no in-flight movie could ever top. I'm sitting in the second row. In the first row is a very loud, incredibly obnoxious but very drunk mid forties woman. She was pretty and obviously artificially enhanced. Some twenty five year old computer geek who I'm guessing hasn't had a date with a non-plastic woman in three years, but who flies enough to get upgraded to first class, lucks into the seat beside her. Being naturally ornery, she gets pissed at him because he moves her purse into the overhead baggage container, but once we take off and they get two drinks and lots of trite conversation between them, they start sucking face like two teenagers. He's got a buddy who was sitting three rows back of him, and every time he comes up for air, he turns to his buddy and gives him two thumbs up, and then goes back to his business. Finally, she surfaces and slaps him but good, saying she can't believe he's taken advantage of her because he won't ever call her after this meaningful exchange. We land, and on the way out, the guy gets more high fives than Albert Pujols after a grand slam.

- Where were you this weekend Dev?

- I promise you, after tomorrow, New Orleans people will react like a victim of abuse if any future hurricane forecast ever suggests that New Orleans might be in the crosshairs. You've got to go through one before everyone will take the possibility of another one seriously.

- If the Washington Capitals might be skating again soon, it's a new one on the people of D.C.

- Nobody noticed, but Bellamy Road, the Derby favorite, acquitted himself nicely in yesterday's Travers Stakes, finishing second after a 112 day layoff. He could easily win the Breeder's Cup this year.

- Speaking of horse racing, I think this hurricane watching may be the closest thing I can think of to the Kentucky Derby. It provides about two minutes of actual excitement after about four hours of mind-numbing build-up.

- I saw a show today in which Bobby Bowden said that he would have taken the Alabama job in 1987 if they had offered it to him, but they didn't. I'm wondering if anyone in Tuscaloosa knows that and is regretting it today as they watch Baby Shula screw things up.

- My current top 3 favorite tv shows: 1. Rescue Me 2. Curb Your Enthusiasm 3. Arrested Development

- There's a great article in today's Washington Post about the amount of excessive conversation in movie theaters these days, and the absence of any usher with a spine to throw someone out who is engaged in loud conversation while a movie is going on. That problem is only exceeded by the absence of any good movies these days.

- I realize that this sounds a whole lot like an old Larry King column from USA Today.

- Has anyone fallen further off the rader than John Gruden?
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

++++

Outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Aug 28 2005, 06:41 PM
      - Where were you this weekend Dev?
      I stayed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night at the Pentagon City Ritz Carlton, spent all of Wednesday traveling from LA to DC and all of Thursday and Friday in a graphics truck at FedEx Field. I looked into changing my flight out of DC on Saturday from 8:40 am to an evening flight so I could go to the Cards game that day but it was too expensive for me to do.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar+Aug 28 2005, 07:54 PM-->
        QUOTE(devaskar @ Aug 28 2005, 07:54 PM)

I've missed Scattershooting.

If you're intersted in a good movie, see '40 Year Old Virgin'. I had fairly high expectations going in due to good reviews, what friends have said, commercials, etc, and they were all exceeded. It's been awhile since I've laughed that much at a movie. The ending was freakin' hilarious.
        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Notwithstanding my irritation with flying, I got a show on Friday from Pensacola to Atlanta that no in-flight movie could ever top. I'm sitting in the second row. In the first row is a very loud, incredibly obnoxious but very drunk mid forties woman. She was pretty and obviously artificially enhanced. Some twenty five year old computer geek who I'm guessing hasn't had a date with a non-plastic woman in three years, but who flies enough to get upgraded to first class, lucks into the seat beside her. Being naturally ornery, she gets pissed at him because he moves her purse into the overhead baggage container, but once we take off and they get two drinks and lots of trite conversation between them, they start sucking face like two teenagers. He's got a buddy who was sitting three rows back of him, and every time he comes up for air, he turns to his buddy and gives him two thumbs up, and then goes back to his business.
          I saw a similar type show on a train from Palm Beach to Tampa one time, but the girl and boy were in their early twenties. They were sober getting on the train and wasted by the time the train stopped and they couldn't keep their hands off eachother. The girl had been sitting next to me inthe beginning and she was on her way to meet a guy she met over the internet. Her baby's father's mother was watching her baby for the weekend for her (but was going to charge her money to do it). She liked this boy from the internet even though he was a "dork". He had money and had bought the train ticket for her. I could tell this girl was really going to be something one day.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan@Aug 28 2005, 08:14 PM
            I've missed Scattershooting.

If you're intersted in a good movie, see '40 Year Old Virgin'. I had fairly high expectations going in due to good reviews, what friends have said, commercials, etc, and they were all exceeded. It's been awhile since I've laughed that much at a movie. The ending was freakin' hilarious.
            I've heard that's good. I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Aug 28 2005, 08:23 PM
              I saw a similar type show on a train from Palm Beach to Tampa one time, but the girl and boy were in their early twenties. They were sober getting on the train and wasted by the time the train stopped and they couldn't keep their hands off eachother. The girl had been sitting next to me inthe beginning and she was on her way to meet a guy she met over the internet. Her baby's father's mother was watching her baby for the weekend for her (but was going to charge her money to do it). She liked this boy from the internet even though he was a "dork". He had money and had bought the train ticket for her. I could tell this girl was really going to be something one day.

I'll keep this short...

Evil woman

Rolled in from another town
              Hit some gold, too hot to settle down
              But a fool and his money soon go separate ways
              And you found a fool lyin' in a daze
              Ha, ha, woman, what you gonna do
              You destroyed all the virtues that the Lord gave you
              It's so good that you're feelin' pain
              But you better get your face on board the very next train

Comment

Good stuff, tbf. I too have missed these.
                Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

ELO's greatest song!

Comment

Could you type all of that again? I wasn't paying enough attention the first time I read it and really don't want to scroll all the way back up top.

Comment

Sure, went to a baseball game, yadda, yadda, yadda.....

Comment

Originally posted by Damon@Aug 28 2005, 08:40 PM
                        Could you type all of that again? I wasn't paying enough attention the first time I read it and really don't want to scroll all the way back up top.

You don't have to scroll. Just click on the tab that says TOP.

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan@Aug 28 2005, 09:41 PM

-  There's a great article in today's Washington Post about the amount of excessive conversation in movie theaters these days, and the absence of any usher with a spine to throw someone out who is engaged in loud conversation while a movie is going on.
                          Try telling that to the kid with CP that got kicked out of a theater a couple of weeks ago for laughing too much.

story

I know what you're talking about though. I doubt any 16 year old making $6/hr wants to get into a confrontation with anybody these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels+Aug 28 2005, 09:38 PM-->
                            QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Aug 28 2005, 09:38 PM)
                          Working...
                          X