Another group who gives Christians a bad name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another group who gives Christians a bad name

Please believe me, the vast majority of Christian followers aren't like these nuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP
    Anti-Gay Church Protests at GI Funerals

By BETH RUCKER, Associated Press Writer 19 minutes ago

SMYRNA, Tenn. - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in
    Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

"If they were protesting the government, I might even join them," Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of "get out of our town" and "get out of our country."

"But for them to come during the worst time for this family — it's just wrong."
    Make America Great For Once.

The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.
    I think this part explains the rest. I'll lay odds that some of his children, grandchildren and in-laws are also his cousins, nieces and nephews. JJ.

Comment

I'll bet the family tree has very few branches.

Comment

Neither are the vast majority of Muslims. But, you can't choose who is in your family, nor can you prevent people from hijacking your religion for their own purposes.

Moon

Comment

I know that.

Comment

I've heard of these guys before. They also claim that the tsunami in Asia was G-d cleaning up the heathens.
            Official Lounge Sponsor:
            Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
            The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
            Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

This raises the question of why a group that consists of one guy and his family gets so much media attention. Really, people pay attention when Pat Robertson goes off on a crackpot rant because he once ran for president and he has a nationally televised TV show. Who the hell is Fred Phelps, and why does anyone care what he says?
              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah@Aug 28 2005, 11:04 AM
                This raises the question of why a group that consists of one guy and his family gets so much media attention. Really, people pay attention when Pat Robertson goes off on a crackpot rant because he once ran for president and he has a nationally televised TV show. Who the hell is Fred Phelps, and why does anyone care what he says?
                Phelps and Sheehan only exist because the media gives them the attention they want. They'd go away in a hurry if their names stopped showing up in the news.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane+Aug 28 2005, 12:01 PM-->
                  QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Aug 28 2005, 12:01 PM)

I wonder if all of those people quit paying taxes?
                  They are after all paying the government to defend gays, right?

I am lost as where to start about this stupidity.
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane+Aug 28 2005, 11:01 AM-->
                    QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Aug 28 2005, 11:01 AM)

What an idiot.....believe me, not all of us are like that :angry:

Comment

Originally posted by Infidel+Aug 29 2005, 08:13 AM-->
                      QUOTE(Infidel @ Aug 29 2005, 08:13 AM)
                      Originally posted by Lois [email protected] 28 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by hkyfan+Aug 29 2005, 11:07 AM-->
                      QUOTE(hkyfan @ Aug 29 2005, 11:07 AM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2005, 08:13 AM
                      Originally posted by Lois [email protected] 28 2005, 11:01 AM

This thread reminds me of a funeral for a 20 year old soldier who died in Iraq in the spring or early summer. His funeral was in Anna, IL (just south of Carbondale) and there was some ultra liberal group there protesting. They were stomping on American Flags. Needless to say they pissed a lot of people off.

Comment

Working...
                      X