Europeans Love Our Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europeans Love Our Cardinals

Despite our St Louis ingrained angst of the 'east coast' prejudice towards our Cardinals, the facts are that once you get 'east' of the good ole USA we seem to be incredibly popular.

Tonight for instance, the Cards/DC game was on live here in the U.K. for those of us who subscribe to the North American Sports Network (NASN) and....2 things:

1) We're on the 'over the air' channel tomorrow here and;

2) We're on the Italian and German TV stations tomorrow and;

3) My SKY channel voted for the most popular baseball team in the U.S. which resulted in our team winning by 2 percentage points over the bloody Yankees.

Baseball is the equivalent comparison in European fondness for it ....as soccer is for America (maybe even that's a bit of a stretch) but it's sort of what folks think about it.

As Argent sang....Hold Your Head Up.......HIGH.

These lend/lease folks who never repaid us seem to think the Mound City team is pretty cool.

Do they have their own announcers who do the play by play from watching a monitor, or do they just carry the FOX or ESPN feed?
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

That's pretty cool...
      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Aug 27 2005, 05:13 PM
        Do they have their own announcers who do the play by play from watching a monitor, or do they just carry the FOX or ESPN feed?
        Same feed from Fox that you guys in St Louis had there today. Only, without the American commercials. That's not an advantage. They're as bad here as they are in the States. Obnoxious is the word that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode+Aug 27 2005, 06:16 PM-->
          QUOTE(DaLode @ Aug 27 2005, 06:16 PM)

I've got 2 kids here. They're both in London but my oldest girl went to Manchester University for college and was OFTEN asked "Who are the Rams?" when she wore a rams 'baseball' type of cap. After the 2000 Super Bowl they knew.

We ALL wear Cardinal/Blues/Rams shirts and hats as often as is appropriate, depending on where we are. The Cardinals insignia is recognized the most. For example, the cab driver that took me from the airport to my place (up in North Lincolnshire) on Thursday afternoon said, "That's the legendary American baseball team isn't it?"

When I'm in London each visit here it's not unusual to see girls wearing a Cardinal baseball cap. I don't want to over-emphasize this but you do see it at least once a week in a city with millions in population. NY Yankees are still the most popular kit but, what do these folks know?

I mean, just a few days ago I saw a kid at Dierberg's in Chesterfield before I left wearing an Arsenal jersey with no player's name on it. I asked him if he'd ever been to Highbury and he said, "What?" I guess he meant "Where?"

Two nations divided by a common language.

Comment

Lode-

While in Paris/Monaco last week...I noticed the French have some strange fascination for the Love Boat. They played re-runs on the plane, but, when I arrived that day and flipped on the telly just for a look...again, re-runs of the Love Boat.

Why do the Frogs love the Love Boat?

Weird....

Comment

Can we at the very least get a "6-Nil Cardinals" on the highlights? (B)

Comment

I hate that fucking espn. Twice I stayed up well after midnight this week trying to catch Cards highlights and didn't see them one time. :angry: Best fucking baseball team in America and they lead off with either the fucking yanks or red sox. :angry:

Lode, We went to the Brewers game last night in Milwaukee. Everyone in Wisconsin is EXTREMELY friendly and almost all commented positively on my Cardinal jersey and hat. Most just wanted to talk baseball. Great ballpark and very very GREAT Brats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P (That's my tongue licking my chops)
                RIP Stan the Man
                The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Aug 27 2005, 07:24 PM
                  Lode-

While in Paris/Monaco last week...I noticed the French have some strange fascination for the Love Boat.  They played re-runs on the plane, but, when I arrived that day and flipped on the telly just for a look...again, re-runs of the Love Boat.

Why do the Frogs love the Love Boat?

Weird....

The Frogs' fascination with crappy American stuff. (See....as you well said..The Love Boat and, for goodness sake, their canonization of Jerry Lewis as a 'comedy genius') which leaves the question of their self-annointed description of France as a 'country of good taste' open to question. It's a bloody anomaly.

One thing that might put this French perception of brilliance into perspective is for everyone, worldwide, to ask themselves the question....'Name me ONE French comedian, singer or entertainer that is world-class?" When you go brain-cramped on the answer and have to contact your parents with the question and they have to 'reach' for someone like Maurice Chevalier.....well, as Spinal Tap band members said at Elvis's gravesite...."that's just too much fucking perspective."

They do red wine, cheese and pate well. Other than that, it's all a disturbing. Maybe they need to be introduced to deoderant and then they'll wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode+Aug 28 2005, 03:20 PM-->
                    QUOTE(DaLode @ Aug 28 2005, 03:20 PM)

Originally posted by Hepatitis Dispenser+Aug 28 2005, 02:26 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Hepatitis Dispenser @ Aug 28 2005, 02:26 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2005, 03:20 PM

I found another amusing Frenchman...

RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

That's actually pretty interesting, thanks for posting this 'lode.
                      Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.

Comment

Lode...

would any kind of barnstorming goodwill tour of england featuring games between the cardinals and the yankees be any kind of draw?

N
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

Working...
                        X