X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanks close to acquiring Lawton

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2144138

Unbelievable.

I'm guessing the Cubbies will get more in return than they gave up for him.

Fucking Hendry is a master at this shit.

Except for the fact that he cannot get a closer, overpaid for Nomar and has no leaders on his team.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Cubs officially give up.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Aug 27 2005, 10:03 AM
        Unbelievable.

I'm guessing the Cubbies will get more in return than they gave up for him.

Fucking Hendry is a master at this shit.

Except for the fact that he cannot get a closer, overpaid for Nomar and has no leaders on his team.
        Well, yeah, except for that.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 27 2005, 09:02 AM
          http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2144138

I was originally going to post this...but I decided WHY? As I'm sure Yankees fans are scratching their heads with this one, ashing the same question.

Comment

The Cubs got a minor league pitcher in return for him:

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees acquired outfielder Matt Lawton from the Chicago Cubs on Saturday in exchange for minor-league pitcher Justin Berg.

The 33-year-old Lawton batted .268 with 11 home runs and 49 RBI over 120 games this season with Chicago and Pittsburgh. He has played for five teams in parts of 11 major-league seasons with a career batting average of .269.

Berg, 21, was 6-1 with a 3.07 ERA at Single-A Staten Island.
            Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Womack is officially on the bench now.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

This has to be the worst trading season ever. The biggest news has been Matt Lawton getting traded, twice.
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 27 2005, 09:25 AM
                  The Cubs got a minor league pitcher in return for him:

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees acquired outfielder Matt Lawton from the Chicago Cubs on Saturday in exchange for minor-league pitcher Justin Berg.

The 33-year-old Lawton batted .268 with 11 home runs and 49 RBI over 120 games this season with Chicago and Pittsburgh. He has played for five teams in parts of 11 major-league seasons with a career batting average of .269.

Berg, 21, was 6-1 with a 3.07 ERA at Single-A Staten Island.
                  Great. By the time he's ready, Dusty won't be around to destroy his arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Aug 27 2005, 10:07 AM
                    Cubs officially give up.
                    That's about the size of it. Trading a starter for someone who might help later on. Gotta say I don't see the Cubs do much of that, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Even more so since it at least attempts to address the team's biggest weakness player-wise (Dusty doesn't count )

But can someone explain how something like this works again? I know a similar situation happened with the Cards acquiring Walker last year, but that didn't happen a month after the trading deadline (at least I don't think it did)

Comment

Originally posted by bcruise@Aug 27 2005, 01:48 PM
                      But can someone explain how something like this works again? I know a similar situation happened with the Cards acquiring Walker last year, but that didn't happen a month after the trading deadline (at least I don't think it did)
                      If a player clears waivers--that is, he's not claimed when placed on the wire--he can be traded to anyone.

And players not on the 40-man roster, like the A-ball prospect y'all just got, aren't subject to the waiver wire.
                      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

BTW: Since Hendry is waving the white flag with this trade, they'd better shut Wood down, and soon.

Comment

Some numbers, for comparison.

Taguchi

AB 298 HR 7 RBI 44 .295/.339/.436/.775

Lawton

AB 455 HR 11 RBI 49 .268/.367/.411/.778

Can't see how he would have been an upgrade, and it's good that Walt didn't bite.
                          Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by bcruise@Aug 27 2005, 03:03 PM
                            BTW: Since Hendry is waving the white flag with this trade, they'd better shut Wood down, and soon.
                            ++..NSBB reports that Hendry is discussin it w/ Wood.

In essence, the Cubs gave up Dubois for this guy...what a terrible move by the Flubs.

Comment

Originally posted by bcruise@Aug 27 2005, 05:03 PM
                              BTW: Since Hendry is waving the white flag with this trade, they'd better shift Wood back as starter and ruin his arm
                              *fixed

;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X