Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Cards (Dracula, 15-6) vs. Grays (White, 0-0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Cards (Dracula, 15-6) vs. Grays (White, 0-0)

What the hell, they're in my town this weekend, time to break my GDT cherry.

A national television audience will see plenty of red on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinals and Nationals meet at RFK Stadium in the second game of a three-game series as St. Louis tries to close in further on a division title and Washington tries to stay in the Wild Card hunt.
    The Cards will send Mark Mulder to the mound, and the lefty will be trying to keep one streak going and end one less pleasant trend. The Cardinals have won 10 of Mulder's last 11 starts, as he's racked up innings and ground balls. But Mulder has had a hard time in the daylight, going 1-5 with a 7.57 ERA in day games this year. In day games on the road, it's even worse -- he's 0-3 with an 11.63 ERA.

His opponent will be left-hander Matt White, who will be making the first start of his big league career. White, who just turned 28, made three appearances each for Seattle and Boston in 2003, but he hasn't pitched in the Majors since.

Saturday's game could mark the return to active duty of Mark Grudzielanek, who has missed nearly a week with an infection in his left knee.

Pitching matchup
    STL: LHP Mark Mulder
    • 15-6, 3.74 ERA in 2005
    • Did not face WSH in 2004

WSH: LHP Matt White
    • First appearance in 2005
    • Has never faced STL

Player to watch
    The only Cardinal who has faced White is David Eckstein, and the shortstop liked what he saw. In Eckstein's only at-bat against the hurler, he hit one of his 22 career big league home runs.

Quotable
    "It says 410 [feet] to center, and I'm calling [bull] on that. It just looks farther. It is a large outfield. You try to play the gaps a little more, try to take away the extra-base hits. You've got to crush it pretty good." -- Larry Walker, on RFK Stadium

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • STL: FOX
    • WSH: FOX

On radio
    • STL: KMOX 1120 AM
    • WSH: WFED 1050 AM

Quick hits
    Albert Pujols is 5-for-25 (.200) with runners in scoring position in August. ... Mulder, who entered this year 1-for-22 (.045) lifetime at the plate, has eight hits in his first year in the NL. ... Mulder has at least 15 wins in five straight seasons. ... Grudzielanek is hitting .339 against left-handers on the road. ... Abraham Nunez is batting .239 and has an on-base percentage of .295 in August.

I like cheese.

BTW, it's raining in Sterling....
    I like cheese.

Comment

We must hope for a very cloudy and dark day -

Go Vampires Go

Cards 8 - Nats 1
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Aug 27 2005, 05:56 AM
        We must hope for a very cloudy and dark day -

Go Vampires Go

Cards 8 - Nats 1
        I will make it so.
        I like cheese.

Comment

This team has struggled against rookie pitchers. Time to break that trend too. JJ.

Comment

We will light this White kid up, and Mulder will turn in an effective if not dominating start.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

White, who just turned 28

Not really a kid, but light him up we shall.
              I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

BTW--Ldub ain't kidding about centerfield at RFK. It's like the freaking Polo Grounds out there. I'm thinking that might help out Mulder and even Our Problem Child tomorrow.

Anyway gentlemen and ladies, I'm outta here for some pre-game tailgating. The rain in the western VA suburbs is over, a little coming up the coast from the south still will hit RFK until around noon...but I think we'll get this one in.

Be nice to see this team score some runs, btw. My last three Cardinal games seen in person? Yeah. Games 3 and 4 last year, and last night's debacle. They should pay me to stay away!
                I like cheese.

Comment

Still drizzling in Herndon, but I agree with trigger - they'll get this one in.
                  Your friends list is empty

Comment

Marquis is starting in place of Mulder....I guess we're giving away the series today

Comment

wait, what?
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Aug 27 2005, 11:03 AM
                        wait, what?
                        report says stiff neck for mulder
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

mulder has a stiff neck?

he should have closed the window before he went to sleep yesterday.

Comment

Link

Comment

okay thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X