Things I've wondered about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I've wondered about

1. At what point is a person considered a dwarf or a midget? Are they different things? There's a lady here who cannot be over 4 feet tall. Her body is proportionately sized. Is she a dwarf or an extremely small person?

2. I wear a size 11 shoe but a size 9.5 CCM hockey skate. What's the deal with this? Is it a wacky Canadian thing? Does the same hold for Bauer and other skate manufacturers?

3. What is a Mexican standoff? There's a guy holed up in a house after robbing a bank and the reporter called it a Mexican standoff. Is it like a faceoff in hockey only with Mexicans?
    LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

maybe they were in Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Jimmy fan@Aug 26 2005, 12:56 PM
      maybe they were in Mexico?
      Villa Park, suburb of Chicago. There are a lot of Mexicans in the area.
      LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

3. The climax of "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly" is the best example of a Mexican Standoff I can think of. Or, the scene at the climax of Reservoir Dogs. Basically, everyone has a gun pointed at someone, and if one person shoots, everyone shoots, and who knows who's left standing?

Sounds like the person you heard use the phrase had less idea what it meant than you!
        I like cheese.

Comment

From E. Neal McNamara:

Q: I'm most interested in finding out the actual origin of the phrase Mexican standoff. Any help would be appreciated.

A: Mexican standoff's origins are not known, but one source supposes that the term, which means `a situation from which nothing at all can be expected,' comes from a derogatory origin. This source notes that adjectives of nationality are often used in derogatory manners. Several expressions were coined by the English in the 17th century to put down their Dutch rivals: Dutch treat `pay for yourself,' Dutch defense `surrender,' and do the Dutch `suicide.' The same is true regarding the Mexicans: Mexican athlete `an athlete who goes out for a team but does not make it,' Mexican promotion `a promotion in which the employee gets a new title but no raise in pay,' Mexican breakfast `a breakfast consisting of a cigarette and a glass of water,' and Mexican standoff .
          If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana+Aug 26 2005, 01:57 PM-->
            QUOTE(DC Santana @ Aug 26 2005, 01:57 PM)

Originally posted by triggercut1@Aug 26 2005, 12:57 PM
            3. The climax of "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly" is the best example of a Mexican Standoff I can think of. Or, the scene at the climax of Reservoir Dogs. Basically, everyone has a gun pointed at someone, and if one person shoots, everyone shoots, and who knows who's left standing?

Sounds like the person you heard use the phrase had less idea what it meant than you!
            Cool.

Now all we need is for Clint Eastwood to ride into town.
            LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Aug 26 2005, 12:57 PM
              From E. Neal McNamara:

Q: I'm most interested in finding out the actual origin of the phrase Mexican standoff. Any help would be appreciated.

A: Mexican standoff's origins are not known, but one source supposes that the term, which means `a situation from which nothing at all can be expected,' comes from a derogatory origin. This source notes that adjectives of nationality are often used in derogatory manners. Several expressions were coined by the English in the 17th century to put down their Dutch rivals: Dutch treat `pay for yourself,' Dutch defense `surrender,' and do the Dutch `suicide.' The same is true regarding the Mexicans: Mexican athlete `an athlete who goes out for a team but does not make it,' Mexican promotion `a promotion in which the employee gets a new title but no raise in pay,' Mexican breakfast `a breakfast consisting of a cigarette and a glass of water,' and Mexican standoff .
              I hadn't thought about the Dutch thing. It seems to me a Dutch treat would be someone else picking up the tab instead of paying your own.
              LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Wikipedia
                Encarta
                If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

All skates run small. I remember the general being get a skate a full size smaller than your shoe.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor:
                  Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                  The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                  Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

3. What is a Mexican standoff? There's a guy holed up in a house after robbing a bank and the reporter called it a Mexican standoff. Is it like a faceoff in hockey only with Mexicans?
                    [/quote]

Mexican standoff..
                    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Aug 26 2005, 01:04 PM
                      All skates run small. I remember the general being get a skate a full size smaller than your shoe.
                      It's always been that way it seems. I asked the guy who owns Jerry's Warehouse up here. He's really knowledgeable about hockey equipment. He had no idea why it was that way other than its allways been like that.
                      LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana+Aug 26 2005, 02:07 PM-->
                        QUOTE(DC Santana @ Aug 26 2005, 02:07 PM)

Originally posted by DC Santana@Aug 26 2005, 12:55 PM
                        2. I wear a size 11 shoe but a size 9.5 CCM hockey skate. What's the deal with this? Is it a wacky Canadian thing? Does the same hold for Bauer and other skate manufacturers?

Skates run smaller and on top of that, they're supposed to fit tighter than shoes.

I wear a size 10 shoe (size 10.5 in Nike, Size 9.5 in New Balance)

My Ice skates are a 7 3/4, 8 1/4. My left skate is a 8 1/4, my right skate is a 7 3/4.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Aug 26 2005, 01:25 PM-->
                          QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Aug 26 2005, 01:25 PM)
                        Working...
                        X