Greetings from DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from DC

Greetings from Landover, Maryland. I’m currently on a break, sitting in a graphics production truck in preparation for this evening’s NFL pre-season game between the Steelers and Redskins on FOX. Sadly, I have yet to encounter twerp owner Danny Snyder, Joe Theismann’s single bar facemask or the remains of his leg, a failed Dexter Manley drug test, or even a Hogette.

But this morning, I was in my hotel by the Pentagon and was making my way out so I could go to the Starbucks across the street. When the elevator hit the main floor and the door opened, who was standing right in front of me? None other than everyone’s favorite metrosexual centerfielder, Jim Edmonds. And let me say, he had a ton of eyeliner on.

As I made my way from the elevator to the main lobby on my way to the front door, I saw Tony La Russa, Barry Weinberg and Wayne Hagin. Not paying attention to where I was going because I was noticing these guys, I inadvertently ran right into none other than Albert Pujols. And then, as I was walking out the door, I saw none other than Mike Shannon get out of a taxi and walk in.

Later on, when waiting in the lobby for the rest of my traveling circus as we got ready to leave for FedEx Field, I saw Dave Duncan, Ray King, Jason Marquis, and Al Hrabosky.

Having spent many a night drinking in Los Angeles, I’ve run into many celebrities around town. Working at FOX, I’ve seen many celebrities and especially athletes that have been in the building to appear on our programming. Just minutes before running into Edmonds, I had been in a production meeting with Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. And running into all of those people didn’t phase me in the least. Yet running into the Cardinals and discovering they’re staying in the same hotel as I am had a pretty profound affect on me. It’s pretty cool. When I get back to the hotel at around midnight tonight, I’m going to see if I can find Shannon in the lounge so I can offer to buy him an ice coooold frosty one.

Now I’m thinking about seeing if I can catch a later flight out of D.C. tomorrow so I can go to the game at RFK tomorrow afternoon.

Did you talk with any of them?
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Glad to see huegy's back.

Moon

Comment

Was Edmonds in a half shirt?
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Fucking name dropper

Have fun!

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

my job sucks.
            You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

What's Aikman like?
              Official Lounge Sponsor:
              Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
              The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
              Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Glad to see you were able to pick your ass up off the ground after you ran into Albert.

CG will want a detailed report of Albert, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Aug 26 2005, 12:30 PM
                  What's Aikman like?
                  He can't be all that bad.

Afterall, he co-owns a Nextel Cup team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Aug 26 2005, 12:30 PM
                    What's Aikman like?
                    Aikman and Edmonds had a rendezvous in a broom closet down the hall and then traded make-up tricks...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Aug 26 2005, 12:31 PM
                      Glad to see you were able to pick your ass up off the ground after you ran into Albert.

CG will want a detailed report of Albert, btw.
                      I might go ahead and tell Dev to let Pujols know he can kick my dog without having to fear a retaliation from me.
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I'm still putting band-aids over the scars from the collision with Pujols.

Aikman was surprisingly nice (I always say this about the guys I meet who are nice; why am I so cynical that I assume they'll all be dicks when like 98% of them turn out to be cool?). On Wednesday night when I got into town, me and the other BAs went across the street to Chevy's for dinner and when we walked back into the hotel, we saw Aikman and a couple of our producers in the hotel lounge. The main BA on this crew went over to say hello and we were all invited to join them for a drink or two. I talked to Aikman a little and even got a laugh out of him when I told him I was a Niners fan and hated the Cowboys during the early '90s when the two teams were always battling it out for the NFC title. At the end of the evening, he picked up the check for everyone.

Back to work. Back in LA tomorrow.

Comment

oh man. Running into Pujols like that would make me die of happiness.
                          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Aug 26 2005, 12:40 PM

Aikman was surprisingly nice (I always say this about the guys I meet who are nice; why am I so cynical that I assume they'll all be dicks when like 98% of them turn out to be cool?). On Wednesday night when I got into town, me and the other BAs went across the street to Chevy's for dinner and when we walked back into the hotel, we saw Aikman and a couple of our producers in the hotel lounge. The main BA on this crew went over to say hello and we were all invited to join them for a drink or two. I talked to Aikman a little and even got a laugh out of him when I told him I was a Niners fan and hated the Cowboys during the early '90s when the two teams were always battling it out for the NFC title. At the end of the evening, he picked up the check for everyone.

Be truthful. BA stands for Bad Ass.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Aug 26 2005, 12:40 PM

When he bought your meals, he was hitting on you.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                              X