• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquis will stay in rotation

Marquis will stay in rotation
    By Rick Hummel
    Post-Dispatch
    08/25/2005

After struggling Jason Marquis had been assailed in a 10-0 loss here on Tuesday, Cards manager Tony La Russa had said he wanted to wait a couple of days before drawing conclusions.

Before the game Thursday night, La Russa said, "I've concluded he's pitching Sunday."

Asked if Marquis would stay in rotation after that, La Russa said, "Why wouldn't he?"

Marquis, who has won just one of his past 13 starts and has dropped seven in a row, threw a session in the bullpen Thursday and pronounced it "excellent."

To start, Marquis was instructed to throw 40 consecutive sinkers, the pitch with which he has been most successful.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Good to know he was "excellent" in the bullpen.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

fine let him eat innings

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

If the other 4 guys continue to pitch well, it really doesn't matter.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

I'm telling ya', we're going to see a 6-man rotation at least once through before the end of the season.

-RBB

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain@Aug 26 2005, 12:32 PM
            I'm telling ya', we're going to see a 6-man rotation at least once through before the end of the season.

-RBB
            So An. Reyes' start doesn't count?

Comment

Its nice to know they believe in him still.

Comment

Asked if Marquis would stay in rotation after that, La Russa said, "Why wouldn't he?"
                Uh, maybe this?

Marquis, who has won just one of his past 13 starts and has dropped seven in a row,

Comment

To start, Marquis was instructed to throw 40 consecutive sinkers, the pitch with which he has been most successful.
                  It's come to this -- the baseball equivalent of writing "I will endeavor not to be so much of a fuckhead in the future" on the blackboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Aug 26 2005, 11:33 AM-->
                    QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Aug 26 2005, 11:33 AM)

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Aug 26 2005, 12:31 PM
                    It's come to this -- the baseball equivalent of writing "I will endeavor not to be so much of a fuckhead in the future" on the blackboard.
                    Exactly.

And with Tony, it's not what he says, of course, but what he does.

In other words, Marquis will be removed from the rotation posthaste if he loses his next start.
                    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky+Aug 26 2005, 03:28 PM-->
                      QUOTE(moedrabowsky @ Aug 26 2005, 03:28 PM)

I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but I think Marquis is fixable. For whatever reason, his sinker is not sinking like it did earlier in the season. I'm no expert, but I would think that is something that can be corrected.

Yes, I know, the problem might be between his ears. But that too can be corrected with time. And if ever we had time to allow a pitcher to work through his problems, it is this year -- as we have the division all but wrapped up.

Just my humble (and perhaps uninformed) opinion.
                      "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Yes, I know, the problem might be between his ears. But that too can be corrected with time. And if ever we had time to allow a pitcher to work through his problems, it is this year -- as we have the division all but wrapped up.
                        He's pitched for Duncan for nearly two full seasons. He's not only not realized his potential, but has actually regressed -- and that significantly. How much "time" do you have in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Aug 26 2005, 02:37 PM
                          He's pitched for Duncan for nearly two full seasons. He's not only not realized his potential, but has actually regressed -- and that significantly. How much "time" do you have in mind?
                          The rest of the season. What do we have to lose -- other than a few starts. And you know, throughout these past losses -- he has pitched some good games.

And I would also say that winning 15 games last year with an era under 4 was getting more out of him than anyone has in the past. In other words, he is/was pitching to his potential. It looked like he was on his way to continuing this trend this year until he hit a wall before the break.
                          "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Working...
                          X