Root for Houston to Win the WildCard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root for Houston to Win the WildCard

Some friends and I were brainstorming yesterday, thinking about possible NLDS matchups for our Cardinals this year. Obviously, the Cards have the best team in the NL and *SHOULD* make it to the World Series for the second straight year. But anything can happen in the playoffs, and an easier route through October would certainly be preferable.

Currently-- the division winners project to be:
    NL Central - St. Louis (with home field advantage throughout)
    NL East - Atlanta
    NL West - San Diego

The wildcard will go to either Houston, who is in the NL Central with the Cards, or one of the NL East contenders-- Washington, Florida, Philadelphia.

I think that everyone will agree that the easiest first round matchup for our Cardinals would be the NL West winner. San Diego will almost certainly end up taking that division, altho they may do it with an overall losing record. But in reality-- the only way the Cardinals could draw San Diego in the NLDS, would be if Houston won the wild card.

MLB has that rule where two teams in the same division cannot face each other in the NLDS. That means that Atlanta would not be able to play either Washington, Florida, or Philadelphia if they won the wild card. Meaning that Atlanta would *GET* to play San Diego, while the Cardinals-- even though they were the higher seed-- would have to play the tougher opponent. If Houston wins the wild card, then that same rule would take effect, and just like last year-- Houston and Atlanta would match up, while the Cardinals got the NL West winner.

The three NL East contenders all have bigger weaknesses than our Redbirds, but all are considerably more dangerous than San Diego. Philadelphia always plays the Cardinals tough, Florida has scary pitching (especially in a short series), and Washingon has been riding a momentum wave all year. I think that the Phillies will end up winning the wild card, and they scare me more than the other two.

But from here on out-- I am routing for the Astros to win as many games as possible and to take the Wild Card. Altho, I will make an exception and route for Clemens to get lit up every time he pitches.

Any thoughts?

You forgot to mention the Mets.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

I'm not that worried about the Phillies. I hope they take it although they would make a much tougher first round opponent than SD.

Yeah, they played us tough but their pitching does not compare to Houston's or the Marlins. They do have more offense but in short series I worry more about starting pitching.

I would just as soon the Astros miss. With Clemens, Oswalt and Pettite they could be wicked tough in a short series. We have owned them all season but everything starts over in the post season. The road to the WS is easier..without the Stros in the way.
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

GO NATIONALS!!!
        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz@Aug 25 2005, 04:09 PM
          GO NATIONALS!!!
          Here is my preference of the teams to take the WC;

1) Mutts
          2) Nationals ( I keep wanting to call them the Expos!)
          3) Phillies
          4) Marlins
          5) Astros
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Aug 25 2005, 04:15 PM-->
            QUOTE(TTB @ Aug 25 2005, 04:15 PM)

Originally posted by TTB+Aug 25 2005, 04:15 PM-->
            QUOTE(TTB @ Aug 25 2005, 04:15 PM)

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Aug 25 2005, 04:16 PM-->
            QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Aug 25 2005, 04:16 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Aug 25 2005, 04:16 PM-->
            QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Aug 25 2005, 04:16 PM)

I'd rather see Washington win it, but Houston has to be our 2nd favorite- in terms of what's best for us.
            Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Aug 25 2005, 04:06 PM
              I'm not that worried about the Phillies. I hope they take it although they would make a much tougher first round opponent than SD.

Yeah, they played us tough but their pitching does not compare to Houston's or the Marlins. They do have more offense but in short series I worry more about starting pitching.

I would just as soon the Astros miss. With Clemens, Oswalt and Pettite they could be wicked tough in a short series. We have owned them all season but everything starts over in the post season. The road to the WS is easier..without the Stros in the way.

Houston isnt the same team they were last year.
              No Jeff Kent.
              No Carlos Beltran.
              No Jeff Bagwell.

I fear them not.
              We've already proven that we can beat Clemens and Oswalt.

Besides, Atlanta will take care of Houston in the NLDS.
              And I like our chances against them as well..

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Aug 25 2005, 04:18 PM-->
                QUOTE(TTB @ Aug 25 2005, 04:18 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by mcdao+Aug 25 2005, 04:19 PM-->
                QUOTE(mcdao @ Aug 25 2005, 04:19 PM)

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Aug 25 2005, 04:20 PM-->
                QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Aug 25 2005, 04:20 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by mcdao+Aug 25 2005, 04:23 PM-->
                QUOTE(mcdao @ Aug 25 2005, 04:23 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 04:20 PM
                Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 04:18 PM
              Working...
              X