• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braggin' Rights Game Football Style

Mizzou, Illinois to resume football series
    By Stu Durando
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/25/2005

The Missouri and Illinois football programs have agreed to renew their series with four games at the Edward Jones Dome, starting in 2007.

The St. Louis Sports Commission will announce the series later today, according to a source. The teams have not played each other since 2003.

Negotiations had been ongoing, but initial reports had the games being played on campus. The contract will include an option to negotiate a two-year extension.

The games will be played on Sept. 1, 2007, Aug. 30, 2008, Sept. 5, 2009 and Sept. 4, 2010.

The teams have not played each other for four consecutive years since 1991-94. Missouri leads the all-time series 13-7.

The Tigers and Illini met at the dome in 2002 and 2003 with Missouri winning both meetings, 33-20 and 22-15.

Crowds of 61,876 and 63,576 attended those games.

“This is a great series for our program and just as important for our fans,” Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel said in a statement. “I was very impressed with the atmosphere in St. Louis when we played this game previously. It was a big-time atmosphere that was an unforgettable experience for everyone in our program.”

Illinois coach Ron Zook said, “There's nothing like rivalries in college football to create excitement for both the fans and players. And from what I understand this game against Missouri in St. Louis does just that.

"I had the opportunity to see Illini fans come out in droves in St. Louis during the Final Four. We hope to see that same electricity beginning in 2007."

This is good. Except by then, Zook will have the Illini flying high and we'll get our asses handed to us every year.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 25 2005, 02:43 PM
      This is good. Except by then, Zook will have the Illini flying high and we'll get our asses handed to us every year.
      ++

I can't wait. It gets boring whoopin yur assess in b-ball every year. We need some new blood.

Comment

I'm still trying to forget my tailgating experience from the last time they had this...

(that said, I'm sure I'll be there again!!)

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 25 2005, 01:43 PM
          ??? You must be thinking of a different Zook.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Good. The rivalry with U of I is fun.

Of course, we need to fire Quinn so the basketball can get back to actually resembling a 'rivalry'. I'm tired of taking crap from my Illinois buddies!!!

Zook was a good hire I think so Pinkel or his replacement could have his hands full.

Why in the hell didn't Alden hire Bill Self when you could have??? :angry:

Honestly, fire everyone at Mizzou...the president, the AD, the coaches, the trainers...all of them. I'm sick of being embarrassed. Scorch the earth in Columbia and start over.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Illinois will kill Mizzou in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Aug 25 2005, 04:16 PM
                Illinois will kill Mizzou in 2007.
                Try having your boys winning a couple games first before you talk smack
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Aug 25 2005, 02:54 PM
                  Zook was a good hire I think so Pinkel or his replacement could have his hands full.
                  Pinkel took a doormat in Toledo and got it to a bowl, then did it again at Mizzou.

Zook took a perennial 10-win team and made it a laughing stock.

Mizzou just signed up for 4 easy Ws.
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Aug 25 2005, 04:33 PM-->
                    QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Aug 25 2005, 04:33 PM)

Originally posted by TTB+Aug 25 2005, 04:23 PM-->
                    QUOTE(TTB @ Aug 25 2005, 04:23 PM)

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Aug 25 2005, 04:33 PM

Zook took a perennial 10-win team and made it a laughing stock.

Mizzou just signed up for 4 easy Ws.

Actually, he came in at a time when the talent level at Florida was dropping very quickly. IMO, it's one of the main reasons Spurrier left when he did. Zook actually brought in a ton of great recruits while he was there. However, they were a very young team and played inconsistently. But to call that team a laughing stock is absurd.
                    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Aug 25 2005, 04:33 PM-->
                      QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Aug 25 2005, 04:33 PM)

Originally posted by dhaab+Aug 25 2005, 04:07 PM-->
                      QUOTE(dhaab @ Aug 25 2005, 04:07 PM)

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Aug 25 2005, 04:10 PM-->
                      QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Aug 25 2005, 04:10 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 04:33 PM
                    Working...
                    X