• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker points to the web for anti-Dusty venom

Baker points to Web for anti-Dusty venom

August 25, 2005

BY MIKE KILEY STAFF REPORTER 

Cubs manager Dusty Baker was asked about a comment he made in Wednesday's Sun-Times in which he said: "I'll be back next year and the year after that. And I ain't being run out of town.''

Does he feel some people are trying to drive him out of Chicago?

"It's no secret,'' he said. "There are some people that don't want me here.''

But Baker reiterated he wants to stay with the Cubs, and management has said it will address contract extensions for him and general manager Jim Hendry during spring training -- meaning the media-generated speculation that Baker could be leaving should quiet down.

How does Baker know he has detractors in Chicago?

"FireDustyBaker.com,'' Baker said. "That's a pretty good indicator, don't you think? You don't have other top managers hearing that too much, right?''

Wrong.

There's a FireJoeTorre.com and a FireTonyLaRussa.com and who knows how many more.

The New York Yankees' Joe Torre was deluged with questions from New York reporters last weekend in Chicago about his job being in jeopardy. Several managers each year are asked about their job security, and some end up getting fired.

Could Baker finish his career as a Cub?

"Possibly,'' he said. "It depends on if we achieve our goal or not. That's a long time off to me. I still look at six or seven more years. There are things I need and want to accomplish. I'm still here. I plan on being here.''

HOMELESS: The Cubs have no home advantage at Wrigley Field, where they are 31-32. No one seems to have an explanation for how they could post a losing home record for the fourth time in the last seven years.

They were 34-47 at Wrigley in 1999, Jim Riggleman's last year as manager, and 38-43 in 2000, Don Baylor's first year. In 2002, when Baylor was fired at midseason, they went 36-45 at home.

"This is not a great hitters' park when the wind is blowing in,'' Todd Walker said. "You have to piece together hits then. You would think that would be the case with the pitching staff we have, that we would have an advantage. For whatever reason, we come up on the short end more often than we don't.''

Pitcher Mark Prior can't put his finger on a solution to the home woes, either.

"I don't have an explanation why we haven't won more at home than we have lost,'' he said. "It's the way some teams are, I guess.''

First baseman Derrek Lee feels badly for the fans.

"We haven't played well at home for whatever reason,'' he said. "We play pretty good on the road. Such great fans every day, and we still can't win.''

WORSE EVERY DAY: The Corey Patterson situation is painful to watch. Teams used to pitch him either high in the zone or low to get him to chase pitches that weren't strikes.

Lately, they are just throwing pitches down the middle and watching him swing and miss. Patterson had three strikeouts and a walk Wednesday. He is hitting .227.

First the announcers.

Now the Internet.

Everyone's after you, Dusty.

Run. For God's sake, run......
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow...

Bstop has a new avatar...but, he still keeps his pimp hand strong by going w/ Rod the Bod.

Comment

Good stuff.

That list bit on Patterson got me thinking, a scary proposition, I know, but who was the last position prospect the Cubs developed and stayed with the team for some success?

Comment

"When I'm at the ATM at night, I'm not looking over my shoulder for the media."

-Chris Rock

Comment

This is the patented Deflect Attention Before You're 20 Games Out play.

He'll announce that his little kid has some serious disease by the time they're 30 back.
            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 25 2005, 09:33 AM
              Good stuff.

That list bit on Patterson got me thinking, a scary proposition, I know, but who was the last position prospect the Cubs developed and stayed with the team for some success?
              Ryne Sandberg?
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 25 2005, 09:33 AM
                Good stuff.

Grace.

Comment

From the firedustybaker.com.....

Fire Dusty Baker
                  447 days until Dusty Baker's Contract Expires
                  I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan+Aug 25 2005, 09:34 AM-->
                    QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Aug 25 2005, 09:34 AM)

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Aug 25 2005, 09:31 AM
                    Wow...

Bstop has a new avatar...but, he still keeps his pimp hand strong by going w/ Rod the Bod.

My man Rod committed no crime but livin'.

Comment

Yeah, but they did develop Choi and then turn him into Lee, which was turned out OK for them (albeit much more expensive)...

Comment

There are things I need and want to accomplish.
                        Start small. Like reasonably competent "baseball."

You've seen it done. It's on TV all the time. College teams do it. Others, too.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop+Aug 25 2005, 09:35 AM-->
                          QUOTE(backstop @ Aug 25 2005, 09:35 AM)

Originally posted by davhaf@Aug 25 2005, 09:35 AM
                          From the firedustybaker.com.....

Fire Dusty Baker
                          447 days until Dusty Baker's Contract Expires
                          It's like a magic number thread for the Cubs.

Comment

Working...
                          X