Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever it takes

Furcal, Braves take advantage of error by Cubs' Prior

CHICAGO -- Two bunts, a bad throw and a tricky hop turned around the Atlanta Braves' day and sent Mark Prior and the Chicago Cubs to another numbing defeat at Wrigley Field.

Shortly after a throwing error by Prior, Rafael Furcal hit a two-out, two-run single in the seventh inning that deflected off sure-handed Chicago first baseman Derrek Lee as the Braves rallied Wednesday for a 3-1 victory.

"The ball ate him up. If anybody can make it in all of baseball, it would be Derrek Lee," Atlanta manager Bobby Cox said.

Prior (9-5) gave up just one hit in the first six innings, Andruw Jones' single to center in the fourth.

After the Cubs took a 1-0 lead against Braves starter Jorge Sosa, rookie standout Jeff Francoeur led off the seventh with a bunt single.

"I felt like it was a big enough moment in the game where we needed to get something going," Francoeur said. "Right when I hit it, I figured it was one of my best bunts ever. I was a little shocked. The last time I tried to bunt I got hit in the face last year."

When Ryan Langerhans followed with another bunt, Prior attempted to get the force at second. Instead, he threw it into center field.

The Chicago Cubs are so bad they hold many patents on losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Aug 25 2005, 07:32 AM
      The Chicago Cubs are so bad they hold many patents on losing.
      i give them credit, they are creative in their ways of loosing

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Working...
      X