• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angels Not in Favor of Schedule Change

Angels Not in Favor of Schedule Change

Mike DiGiovanna
    LA Times

BALTIMORE — Officials from Major League Baseball and the players' union have approached the Angels on behalf of the Boston Red Sox to request a scheduling change that would require the Angels to play a day-night doubleheader against the Red Sox on Sept. 7 in Fenway Park.

But the Angels have no plans to accommodate the request, which was made so the Red Sox can make up a rainout against the Chicago White Sox on Monday, Sept. 5, and have an off day on Sept. 6.

The Angels are scheduled to open a three-game series against the Red Sox on Sept. 6.

"It would be difficult, at best, for our club to play a split doubleheader to reschedule a game we weren't involved in," Manager Mike Scioscia said.

"There are ways to accommodate teams, and we always do our best, but a split doubleheader can zap you for three or four days afterward."

The Red Sox were hoping to get Sept. 6 off because if they play the White Sox on Sept. 5 and proceed with their remaining schedule, they would play on 30 consecutive days.

Baseball rules stipulate that teams cannot go more than 20 days without a day off without approval from the commissioner's office and the union, via a vote of the players involved.

"We haven't been asked to get an official vote yet," said pitcher John Lackey, the Angels' acting union representative, "but I have a good idea that the vote is not going to go well for [the Red Sox]."
    Dude. Can. Fly.

The Red Sox are a bunch of pussies

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Comment

yeah Angels!
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 25 2005, 09:35 AM

Official Lounge Sponsor:
          Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
          The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
          Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

I wouldn't do it either. Fuck the Red Sox
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

hey, the Cards don't really like playing on the road since not all the best fans in baseball can attend.

I would like to ask that our next few opponents agree to play the games here in StL.

Comment

The Cubs went through something like this at the end of last year and even they didn't whine.

Comment

Well, wait, they probably whined, but they didn't do stuff like this.

Comment

Is this the other side of the story regarding the supposed decision by the White Sox to forfeit rather than play a make up game? If so, this is a whole different spin.
                    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Aug 25 2005, 08:51 AM
                      hey, the Cards don't really like playing on the road since not all the best fans in baseball can attend.

I would like to ask that our next few opponents agree to play the games here in StL.
                      That's an excellent idea. I just looked at the Cardinals' schedule and there are not a whole lot of home games left. I would like to attend a few more games before the season ends and if all the away games would be played here, that would work out well for everyone I think.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                      Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                      Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                      NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                      LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

the rest of the NL needs to respect our Pennant authoritah!

Comment

Really, can't we leverage our 13 or 14 game lead to get more of our games played here at home. We should get some sort of perk for being so far ahead in our division.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                          Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                          Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                          NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                          LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

With that kind of lead and no incentive for homefield in the Series, why even play the last week if you are the Cards and are going on the road?
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

the vote is not going to go well for [the Red Sox]."
                              Tsk, tsk, tsk. If only the media could vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X