• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big night for Ankiel last nite

Big night for Ankiel in Springfield
    STLtoday.com Sports
    08/24/2005

Pitcher-turned-outfielder Rick Ankiel had another big night Tuesday for Class AA Springfield, hitting a homer and a two-run double for the Cardinals in an 8-2 win over visiting Tulsa.

Ankiel is batting .280 with five homers and 18 RBIs in 75 at-bats since his return to Springfield from Class A Quad Cities. He had one hit in 20 at-bats at the start of Springfield's season before his demotion to Quad Cities.

"I'm happy with the way things have been going," Ankiel, 26, told the Springfield News-Leader. "It's been going all right so far."

The lefthanded-hitting Ankiel smacked a first-pitch homer off Blaine Neal, who was sent to Tulsa on a major-league rehab assignment by the Colorado Rockies.

Ankiel's two-run double to left-center in the seventh broke a 2-2 tie.

"He's swinging a good bat," Springfield manager Chris Maloney told the News-Leader. "He's learning how to hit every day, and it's a process. It's just a question of seasoning, really."

It's possible the Cardinals will promote Ankiel as an outfielder when major-league rosters are expanded in September. Cardinals manager Tony La Russa recently said, "I love Rick Ankiel. There's something good about having him on a ballclub."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

How much are the Birds paying the Post to pimp this guy as much as they do?

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

I named my fantasy teams after him this year.

Ankiel's in the Outfield
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Tony is just thinking about an extra LHP in the outfield..
        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Let's see..... The trade deadline has come and gone. It doesn't seem that Walt is making any moves to acquire another outfielder. Larry Walker is likely to retire at the end of this season. I'm sort of thinking that Ankiel might be the Cardinals rightfielder next season.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
          Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
          Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
          Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
          NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
          LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 24 2005, 03:23 PM
            Let's see..... The trade deadline has come and gone. It doesn't seem that Walt is making any moves to acquire another outfielder. Larry Walker is likely to retire at the end of this season. I'm sort of thinking that Ankiel might be the Cardinals rightfielder next season.
            Could very well be the case....give him Spring Training to compete for the spot w/ some scrubs....

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Aug 24 2005, 02:24 PM-->
              QUOTE(*007* @ Aug 24 2005, 02:24 PM)

I hope they planning on sending him to winter ball so he can get some more AB's. My comment wasn't meant to be negative about Rick. I would love to see him make the big club because he has been through a lot and has the god-given ability to be a major leaguer, even as an OF. It just seems like the Post looks for every opportunity to highlight his accomplishments, more so than those of other prospects.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Wouldn't it be funny if he did make it back to the bigs and turn out to be a good OF? All those other teams had a chance to claim him for nothing.

Getting ahead of myself there prolly.
                Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Imagine that. Why would they give more attention to a former phenom who blew up the NLCS? Strange.

Comment

Your 2006 outfield for the St. Louis Cardinals

Jim Edmonds in center

flanked by Rick Ankiel and Jason Marquis.
                    The Redman

Sponsorship Available
                    Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

I think you guys are getting a lil ahead of yourselves...
                      In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

Originally posted by Brosnan2715@Aug 24 2005, 05:04 PM
                        I think you guys are getting a lil ahead of yourselves...
                        I bet he's called up after September 1...$10 to the Lounge improvement fund..you in?

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Aug 24 2005, 05:06 PM-->
                          QUOTE(*007* @ Aug 24 2005, 05:06 PM)

Originally posted by Brosnan2715+Aug 24 2005, 05:08 PM-->
                          QUOTE(Brosnan2715 @ Aug 24 2005, 05:08 PM)
                          Originally posted by *007*@Aug 24 2005, 05:06 PM
                        Working...
                        X