Memphis Redbird report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis Redbird report

It was a cool, fall-like Iowa night at Principal Park in Des Moines last night as your Memphis Redbirds took on the much-hated Iowa Cubs.

The first 3,000 fans got an autographed baseball. I got somebody named John who pitches for the I-Cubs. I gave it to a little girl attending her first game. That's the kind of big-hearted lug I am. The friend I was with -- another huge Cardinals fan -- got Kerry Wood. I nearly talked him into throwing it on to the field, but his kids told him to sell it on e-bay.

The mighty Redbirds scored five runs in the first three innings and never looked back. Skip Schumaker and Bo Hart continued to show the kind of talent that should ensure them a long and mutually beneficial Triple-A career. Duncan's kid looked pretty good at first and got two hits. I also was impressed with the gutty and gritty shortstop -- somebody named Jaramillo -- who got two hits.

John "The Franchise" Gall, soon to be partnered with Jason Marquis in a blockbuster trade for Adam Dunn, hit a home run to left field.

We sat near the Cardinal relievers. As he as making his way to the pen before the game, I told Des Moines native Mike Mahoney, "Good job in St. Louis." He waved to us. He did not hear me mutter "Just kidding" under my breath.

Wild Bill Pulsipher, who looks like he could play Bluto in the Popeye movie, looked pretty good as the starter, certainly much better than that choking bastard Marquis sounded on my portable radio. Some guy named Falkenborg -- didn't Reagan defeat a country by that name in a war? -- pitched the last two innings.

When a Cubs pitcher walked the Redbirds pitcher, I yelled out, "He's ready for Chicago," and got a big laugh. Had there been a vote, I would have been Fan of the Game.

After the game, the son of the guy I was with got Anthony Reyes autograph. It promises to be worth a whole lot more than a Kerry Wood baseball after Reyes leads us to a World Series championship this October.

All in all, a pleasant night, but we really missed Scott Seabol. He belonged here.

Your faithful correspondent,

KBF

P.S. Tony the Tiger was the guest mascot.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

Did you see Jimmy "The Jam" Journell?
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Aug 24 2005, 01:12 PM
      Did you see Jimmy "The Jam" Journell?
      Maybe. Isn't he a beer vendor?
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Stonewall doing well...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
        X