Pat Robertson Backpedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Robertson Backpedals

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson on Wednesday said that his comments regarding Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez were "misinterpreted."

"I didn't say 'assassination,'" clarified Robertson during a broadcast of his "The 700 Club" Wednesday morning. "I said our special forces should go 'take him out,' and 'take him out' could be a number of things, including kidnapping."

He blamed The Associated Press for making him seem to advocate the assassination of a foreign leader.

"There are a number of ways to take out a dictator from power besides killing him," Robertson said. "I was misinterpreted by the AP, but that happens all the time."

However, during the original "700 Club" broadcast Monday night, Robertson clearly mentioned assassination.

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we are trying to assassinate him, we should go ahead and do it," Robertson said Monday. "It's a whole lot easier than starting a war, and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."

Unless American agents acted decisively, the evangelist argued Monday, Venezuela would become "a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

The comments, picked up by the AP, quickly became Tuesday's major news story and drew reactions from liberal groups, the government of Venezuela, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and even the State Department and Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld.

In Caracas, Vice President Jose Vicente Rangel said Venezuela was considering legal action against Robertson.

"There is a legal measure in the United States that condemns and punishes statements of this nature," Rangel said, referring to laws dealing with television broadcasts.

"The 700 Club" is syndicated to local television stations across the United States, which makes it subject to Federal Communications Commission rules. It is also carried by the cable ABC Family Channel and satellite television, neither of which fall under FCC jurisdiction.

Venezuela is the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, the only member of OPEC in the Western Hemisphere and the supplier of an estimated 8 percent of U.S. petroleum imports.
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Glad he cleared that up.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

what a fuckin hypocrite.

Comment

Does Pat Robertson qualify as a terrorist now?

I would think it's quite funny if he spent the rest of his life in a Venezuelan prison.

Comment

He's full of shit.
          Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 24 2005, 01:02 PM
            He's full of shit.
            ++

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Someone from the gubmint obviously got hold of the Right Reverend.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Aug 24 2005, 12:00 PM
                Glad he cleared that up.

What an idiot Robertson is. Anyone who saw the "replay" of what he said knows what he meant.

Robertson = Pussy-bitch
                --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                --Suck it cubbies.
                --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by "F"_the_Cubs+Aug 24 2005, 01:05 PM-->
                  QUOTE("F"_the_Cubs @ Aug 24 2005, 01:05 PM)

I can recall watching television when the Russians first invaded Afghanistan back the late 70s

As I was channel surfing (more difficult in those days!) ...there was Pat Robertson predicting that action was the first step towards WW III and Armageddon and citing a bunch of Revelation verses

Total asshat...couldn't stomach him then and he's only become worse
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB+Aug 24 2005, 12:06 PM-->
                    QUOTE(JWB @ Aug 24 2005, 12:06 PM)
                    QUOTE("F"_the_Cubs @ Aug 24 2005, 01:05 PM)

Originally posted by Sam Damon@Aug 24 2005, 12:09 PM

Total asshat...couldn't stomach him then and he's only become worse
                    ++

Excellent description.
                    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                    --Suck it cubbies.
                    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by "F"_the_Cubs@Aug 24 2005, 02:11 PM

While I don't advocate saying what Robertson said on national TV or to any media in general, I have to say getting rid of Chavez wouldn't be a bad thing.

Why?

Comment

Maybe if we send him enough money, he can pray and make Jesus kill him for us.
                        To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo+Aug 24 2005, 12:12 PM-->
                          QUOTE(hansolo @ Aug 24 2005, 12:12 PM)
                        Working...
                        X