Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod Stewart Busted..Owes $2m to Harrah's.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rod Stewart Busted..Owes $2m to Harrah's.



    Rock star Rod Stewart appeared in a Las Vegas courtroom Tuesday but yielded center stage to his lawyer during the first day of a jury trial involving a contract dispute with the Rio.

    The resort's attorneys claim Stewart breached his contract when he bowed out of a December 2000 concert and refused to return the $2 million he had been paid in advance.

    "He had thyroid surgery," Rio lawyer Stephen Morris said during his opening statement. "We're not indifferent to that. We don't hold his illness against him. We only wish to hold him to his contract."

    Los Angeles attorney Louis "Skip" Miller, who represents Stewart, claims a clause in the contract allowed Stewart to retain his prepaid fee and perform a makeup concert at a later date.

    "Why not reschedule? Why not honor the contract?" Miller asked during his opening statement, which included video of Stewart's vocal cords.

    The Rio filed a federal lawsuit against the rock star's company, Stewart Annoyances, in March 2001. The trial, which is before U.S. District Judge Larry Hicks, is expected to last about two weeks.

    Stewart, who lives in Los Angeles, sat in court Tuesday during jury selection and opening statements. During the lunch break, the 60-year-old entertainer dined with his legal team at a downtown sandwich shop.

    Miller said Stewart had to leave Las Vegas on Tuesday evening to continue working on his new album but would return later in the trial. He said his client will testify.

    Prospective jurors were questioned Tuesday morning about whether their music collections contained any of Stewart's work and whether they had attended a Stewart concert. Most said they had his CDs in their collections, but none said they had attended a concert.

    Among the eight people chosen for the jury are a woman who described herself as a "big fan of Mr. Stewart's" and a man who said Stewart's "Have I told You Lately" was the theme song for his 25th wedding anniversary celebration. All said they could be fair and impartial jurors.

    The case centers around a March 1999 contract and a January 2000 amendment to the contract.

    Under the original contract, the Rio paid Stewart $3 million to perform a "millennium concert" on Dec. 31, 1999. Stewart performed that concert.

    Sometime during 1999, Morris said, Stewart offered to perform a second concert on Jan. 1, 2000, for an additional fee of $2 million.

    Morris said Stewart insisted on scheduling the second concert for New Year's Day, even as Rio representatives began to fear a lower-than-expected turnout for the holiday weekend.

    Rio representatives wanted to schedule the second concert for a date on which they would have a "reasonable opportunity" to recover their investment, the attorney said.

    As the holiday approached, Morris said, the negotiations grew more intense. He said Stewart threatened at one point not to perform the New Year's Eve concert without a deal for a second concert the next day, but Miller insisted that no such threats were made.

    Hours before the New Year's Eve 1999 concert, Morris said, the parties reached an agreement. The Rio agreed to pay Stewart $2 million to perform on Dec. 30, 2000.

    The parties memorialized the deal in January 2000 with an amendment to the original contract, and Stewart was paid the additional fee.

    Morris said the amendment incorporated all the provisions of the original contract, including a clause that reads, "In the event that Stewart is ill or incapacitated for any reason, and as a result incapable of performing as determined by Stewart in his absolute discretion, the show(s) will be canceled ... and Stewart ... shall refund the payment made by the Rio."

    Stewart underwent thyroid surgery on May 11, 2000, and went home the next day. Although a malignant tumor was removed during the surgery, Morris said, Stewart needed no additional treatment.

    The attorney said Stewart's manager informed Rio representatives on Nov. 1, 2000, that health considerations would prevent Stewart from performing the concert the next month.

    Miller said Stewart canceled the concert before the Rio sold any tickets or incurred any advertising costs.

    "It's not like he waited until the last minute and disappointed people," the attorney said.

    Stewart wanted to reschedule the concert under a provision in the original contract that states, "If any party's obligations contained in this agreement are rendered impossible ... then there shall be no claim for damages by either party to this agreement, and the performance shall be rescheduled to a mutually agreeable time."

    The provision specifically mentions "flood, fire, riot, acts of God ... or any other cause beyond such party's reasonable control."

    Miller said Stewart's thyroid surgery, which impaired his voice for nearly a year, falls under that category. He said the refund provision applied only to the millennium concert -- a once-in-a-lifetime event.

    "The millennium couldn't be rescheduled," the attorney said
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

    Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

  • #2
    Rod is innocent.

    Comment


    • #3
      He should be put on trial for that 'Great American Songbook' crap and absolutely killing Sinatra, Bennett, Cole Porter, Bobby Darin and Nat King Cole song.

      Sunofabitch.
      Are you on the list?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Aug 24 2005, 09:58 AM
        Someone's got a new avatar.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by backstop@Aug 24 2005, 10:00 AM
          Rod is innocent.
          That's not what Rachael Hunter says.

          Comment


          • #6
            Can I Get a Witness?
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

            Comment


            • #7
              and here i thought that they were finaly getting him for doing "do ya think im secksey"

              Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!


              Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

              Comment


              • #8
                Have Penn and Teller do an extra show. Get over it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's some nice detail on the courtroom portrait....Vegas must've pulled out all the stops with that one...

                  "Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Some Guys Have All the Luck.
                    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                    You'll never be forgotten.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rod looks pensive in that sketch.

                      Every Picture Tells a Story.

                      You're in My Heart, You're in My Soul, Rod.
                      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We should pin this...

                        It's real tough to have Harrah's by the balls...Rod deserves some credit...

                        Official: Stewart bullied company

                        Harrah's president says millennium eve concert threatened
                        By GLENN PUIT
                        REVIEW-JOURNAL



                        Gary Loveman
                        Harrah's president testified Stewart entourage insisted on second concert

                        The president of Harrah's Entertainment said Monday that Rod Stewart's entourage bullied the gaming company into a regrettable, $2 million concert deal in 2000 with threats to destroy a high-profile millennium eve concert at the Rio.

                        Gary Loveman, chief executive of Harrah's, testified in U.S. District Court Monday that in 1999, the gaming company agreed to pay Stewart $3 million for the millennium eve show.

                        But Stewart's entourage was insistent on being paid $2 million for a second concert at the Rio the following day, and when negotiations over the second show faltered, Stewart's representatives threatened to pull out of the millennium eve concert just days before the event.

                        "There was some concern (that) Mr. Stewart had threatened not to perform his millennium concert unless he received (a contract) for a second concert," Loveman said.

                        "I was concerned ... this was a big event for our property," Loveman said. "We felt under great pressure to enter into a second agreement."

                        With the millennium concert at stake, Loveman said he personally approved a deal for a second concert in which Stewart would be paid a $2 million advance for a concert a year later. Stewart performed the millennium concert as scheduled, but Loveman said Stewart later canceled the second show and kept the Rio's money.

                        "It's not an agreement I'm happy we entered into," Loveman said.

                        "Paying people in advance of their services is quite an unusual thing in our world."

                        "This isn't my money," Loveman said. "It's the shareholders' money. I'm asked to look after it in a responsible fashion."

                        Loveman told of the soured business deal in the courtroom of U.S. District Judge Larry Hicks Monday afternoon as part of a trial stemming from a 2001 civil lawsuit filed against Stewart by the Rio.

                        Stewart's attorneys have said Stewart was stricken with thyroid cancer in 2000, forcing the cancellation of the second show. They've also said the Rio was never willing to reschedule the second concert, despite efforts by Stewart's camp to do so.

                        "I think we are entitled to reschedule," Stewart said in a deposition earlier this year when asked why he didn't return the $2 million to the Rio.

                        As part of their attempt to show the Stewart entourage threatened to pull out of the millennium eve concert, Rio attorneys have produced during the trial a voice mail from Stewart's personal manager to a Rio attorney.

                        On the voice mail that was left just days before the millennium eve concert, Stewart's business manager, Arnold Stiefel, was quoted as saying: "This is Arnold. Rod's just seen all the correspondence, and Rod wants to call a press conference tomorrow, and he wants to, you know, announce that he won't be playing in the Rio as his contract has been breached. And, the people who visit the hotel will have to make deals with them at their own risk."

                        Stewart, when questioned about the voice mail during his deposition, denied even knowing that his personal manager had threatened to pull him out of the concert.

                        "I hadn't seen any of that," Stewart said in his deposition.

                        In court Monday, Stewart's attorney, Barry Tyerman, testified Stewart had never threatened to pull out of the show.

                        "Mr. Stewart was fully committed to performing on the millennium," Tyerman said.

                        Tyerman said Stewart's business camp was concerned, however, that the Rio was possibly promoting two shows on the millennium weekend even though Stewart only had a contract for one show.

                        Without a contract for the second show, Tyerman said, Stewart's handlers felt they needed to consider going public, warning consumers that Stewart could not perform a second show on the millennium weekend without a contract.

                        "We were not going to let Mr. Stewart get the black eye," Tyerman said.

                        Testimony in the case is expected to continue today.
                        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

                        Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Even if Rod is totally in the wrong here, it's going to be a tall order to work up much sympathy for a LV hotel.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A federal jury ruled today that rock star Rod Stewart should pay a Las Vegas casino 2 million dollars plus interest for a canceled show in December 2000.


                            A Las Vegas jury of seven ruled unanimously that Stewart should not have kept an advance he was paid for New Year's weekend show. He said he was unable to perform because of throat surgery several months earlier.


                            The 60-year-old entertainer was not in court when the verdict was reached. One of his lawyers, Kerry Garvis Wright, said they will appeal.
                            The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

                            Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lasvegasreb@Sep 7 2005, 03:00 PM
                              A federal jury ruled today that rock star Rod Stewart should pay a Las Vegas casino 2 million dollars plus interest for a canceled show in December 2000.
                               

                              A Las Vegas jury of seven ruled unanimously that Stewart should not have kept an advance he was paid for New Year's weekend show. He said he was unable to perform because of throat surgery several months earlier.
                               

                              The 60-year-old entertainer was not in court when the verdict was reached. One of his lawyers, Kerry Garvis Wright, said they will appeal.
                              He should have performed. He ALWAYS sounds like he just had throat surgery.
                              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                              --Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X