Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Huggins must resign

Link

Bob Huggins' successful, but tumultuous tenure with the Cincinnati Bearcats is nearing a sudden end.

The University of Cincinnati sent Huggins a letter asking him to resign or he will be fired in the next 24 hours. According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, associate head coach Andy Kennedy will be asked to replace Huggins in the interim, according to the newspaper.

Huggins was sent a letter Tuesday, asking the coach to accept a $3 million buyout of the remaining two years on his deal. Huggins has 24 hours to accept or he would be "terminated without cause" and his compensation would be reduced to $2 million.

Huggins was arrested last June and pleaded no contest to driving under the influence. He was ordered to attend a three-day intervention program, and the school suspended him with pay for two months.

In May, the university had said it would honor the final two years of Huggins' contract. However, the university had stripped a rollover provision from Huggins' contract after his arrest and no-contest plea for drunken driving last year. The provision automatically added a year onto his contract each summer, keeping it a four-year deal.

Huggins had to decide whether to accept it or take a buyout provision in his contract.

"I plan on fulfilling my contract," Huggins said in May. "I love the players. I think I have an obligation to them, certainly to their families and the fans in the city of Cincinnati.

"People here have been unbelievable. They've supported me, certainly, when I needed support. They've always been there," he said.

Huggins is 399-127 in 16 seasons at Cincinnati, which he rebuilt into a nationally prominent program after years of disarray. His teams have made 14 consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament and reached the Final Four in 1992.

The program also has a history of player arrests and infractions. The program went on two years' probation in 1998 after the NCAA concluded there was a lack of institutional control over the men's basketball program.
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Good.

He is a dicknose.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Original story broken by Paul Dogherty

Cincy fans comment

As an alum of UC, I, for one, will never attend another UC basketball game as long as Nancy Zimpher is president. I will not give to the alumni fund or support the university in any way. Nancy states that Bob Huggins gives the University a bad image. Well I've never been so embarassed as I am right now that Zimpher is the UC president. Shameful Nancy!!

Comment

Other coaches seem to respect Huggins. He always seemed to recruit a bunch of hooligans. Maybe Quin can take him in as an assistant.
        Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

I'd like to throat punch him.
          Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by justwundrin@Aug 23 2005, 12:48 PM
            Other coaches seem to respect Huggins. He always seemed to recruit a bunch of hooligans. Maybe Quin can take him in as an assistant.
            ten years ago your statement was probably true, but that has become less and less the case since then. huggins teams have recently been cited for fine academic and graduation rates. there is a lot more to this story than what we are getting is my opinion.
            Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

Why now?

Comment

Not only is Huggins known to recruit thugs, I don't think he has graduated one scholarship player in all the years he has been at UC.

Whenever Cincy is in town, the student section and the band put up signs reading "Bailbondsman on duty" and a giant Monopoly "Get out of jail free card".

On a tournament trip to Cincy one year, some of the UC students stopped to talk to us and said that they hoped we didn't think all UC students were of the same character as the basketball team.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Whoa, now, he's graduated a pretty good number lately, hasn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 23 2005, 02:58 PM
                    I'm not sure about the last couple of years, but about 5 years ago, ESPN put out a story that he had not graduated a scholarship player since he'd been there - so for 10 years. I think that story pressured the school into making some changes, but I still think the graduation rate is really low.

Comment

Fire Quinn....hire Bob.

At least when he cheats....he wins.

Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Found this from Friday, March 01, 2002

Huggins defends grad rate on ESPN
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        By Michael Perry
                        The Cincinnati Enquire

University of Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins defends his program's graduation rates tonight during a segment of ESPN's investigative series Outside the Lines, which this month is titled: “Zero Percent: College Basketball's Graduation Crisis.”

The one-hour program will air at 8p.m. today and re-air Tuesday (3a.m.) and March 22 (1p.m.).

Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson, Texas Tech coach Bob Knight and Duke guard Jason Williams are among those interviewed.

The segment on UC takes a look at whether the criteria used by the NCAA for calculating graduation rates is fair. The NCAA said its system is based on a formula created by the U.S. Department of Education, ESPN reporter Steve Delsohn said.

“If a guy transfers into your school and graduates, he doesn't count,” said Delsohn, who worked on the Bearcats' portion of the program. “If a guy transfers out of your school and graduates, he doesn't count. If it's a junior-college transfer who graduates, he doesn't count. If he graduates in six years, he counts, but if he graduates in 6.5 years, he doesn't count.

“We're looking at whether the criteria is questionable, and we used Cincinnati as a case study because they are frequently labeled with that zero graduation rate. What struck me is that when you walk into the basketball office, you see these pictures of 15 graduates — and yet how can that be if they supposedly have a zero graduation rate?”

Huggins calls the NCAA's method for determining its statistics “terribly misleading.”

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 23 2005, 02:58 PM
                          Yeah, I think I read where UC would have been 2nd in the Big East this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane+Aug 23 2005, 03:02 PM-->
                            QUOTE(Lois Lane @ Aug 23 2005, 03:02 PM)
                          Working...
                          X