Bush Addresses 8.2 Million Unemployed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Addresses 8.2 Million Unemployed

WASHINGTON, DC—Responding to the nation's worst unemployment rate since the Hoover Administration, President Bush addressed the nation's 8.2 million unemployed workers in a televised speech Monday.

"The economy has been on the rebound for months, but 5.6 percent of you are still out of work," Bush said. "Come on, people: Get a job! Don't just sit there hoping that you'll win the lottery. Turn off that boob tube, get off that couch, and start pounding the pavement."

When the number of people taking part-time jobs because they can't get full-time work is factored in, the unemployment figure approaches 15.1 million, a number Bush called "unacceptable."

"My fellow Americans, don't come crying to me," Bush said. "I've got a job. I go to work every day, whether I feel like it or not. I don't take handouts, and I don't give them. That's a belief my daddy taught me. Now, let's get this show on the road!"

The unemployment rate remains high, in spite of the many tax-cut initiatives the Bush Administration has introduced over the past several years.

"The government can only do so much," Bush said. "How hard can it possibly be to find a job? A friend of mine lost his job when his company went belly-up. Did he bitch and moan about it? Absolutely not. He picked up the phone and started making cold calls, he landed back on his feet, and now he's the chief financial officer of a major petrochemical concern."

According to the president, the nation's unemployed need to make looking for work a full-time job.

"How many applications have you filled out today?" Bush said. "You should spend eight hours a day looking through the want ads, mailing résumés, and pounding the pavement. You won't find a job moping around the house and feeling sorry for yourself. If you're down-and-out, you have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps. Life's hard, my friends. Get used to it."

http://www.theonion.com/news/
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

I agree with him
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 2 2004, 12:39 PM
      I agree with him
      I bet the "8.2 million unemployed" don't.

Comment

Trig, you are getting more desperate or disingenious.

You know what I'm talking about.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Just think....if you had to prove you had a job when you when to vote, 90 percent of the political offices in America would be held by Republicans.

Comment

I think toll voting is the way to go.

Collect at the ballot box.
            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Apr 2 2004, 01:11 PM
              Trig, you are getting more desperate or disingenious.

You know what I'm talking about.
              ??? This article is a joke, Winston. I think everyone understands that.
              2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

I guess you didn't my joke.

Ah well.

And you say conservatives are humorless.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Apr 2 2004, 12:46 PM-->
                  QUOTE (Iowa_Card @ Apr 2 2004, 12:46 PM)

Pretty fucking stupid to keep blaming the victim, right guys?
                  Maybe, but we enjoy it, and that's all that really counts. All Republicans have jobs. Sometimes we have meetings and giggle about all the derelicts who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by dredbyrd+Apr 2 2004, 01:21 PM-->
                    QUOTE (dredbyrd @ Apr 2 2004, 01:21 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 12:46 PM

007 needs to get his ass in gear. Bush said so.
                    You can't kill terror
                    So let's declare war
                    There's so many dead that we can't keep score

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Apr 2 2004, 01:32 PM
                      Sometimes we have meetings
                      I doubt you're in them but I know that they have meetings (bipartisan, as most corruption is) where they decide to raise the interest rate if unemployment gets too low. It's how permanent unemployment is safeguarded.
                      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Actually, all the unemployed people are jobless on purpose because it hurts Bush's poll ratings.

Trig, quit your job. Help the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev+Apr 2 2004, 01:38 PM-->
                          QUOTE (The Kev @ Apr 2 2004, 01:38 PM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 01:21 PM
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 12:46 PM
                          Working...
                          X