• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meningitis blamed for Mizzou's O’Neal’s death

Meningitis blamed for O’Neal’s death

MU teammates are told tragedy wasn’t related to football

By MIKE DeARMOND

The Kansas City Star

University of Missouri football players were told Monday that meningitis killed freshman football player Aaron O’Neal, school sources told The Star.

The sources said Boone County Medical Examiner Valerie Rao delivered the grim news to O’Neal’s family and then addressed the team. MU sports information director Chad Moller confirmed that the university plans to hold a news conference today.

Moller said school officials would not discuss specifics until after Rao formally released her findings.

“That’s my understanding,” Moller said.

One source who was familiar with Rao’s findings said: “Football had nothing to do with this. He would have died at the mall if he was at the mall.”

Meningitis, according to medical texts, generally falls into two categories, either viral or bacterial.

Viral meningitis, according to those texts, “is a relatively common but rarely serious infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain. … Bacterial meningitis is very serious. Severe bacterial meningitis can result in brain damage and even death.”

Cases of viral meningitis occurring in the summer or fall months are “usually caused by mosquito-borne viruses” and “almost all cases occur as single, isolated events. Outbreaks are rare.”

Although some viruses that can cause viral meningitis can be spread by person-to-person contact, others are spread by insects. The texts indicate that “very few people who become infected with these viruses actually develop meningitis.”

O’Neal, a 19-year-old redshirt linebacker from St. Louis, collapsed on July 12 following a voluntary workout at Memorial Stadium in Columbia but recovered sufficiently to walk with the help of a teammate to the dressing room. There, he became unresponsive and was initially taken to the team’s training room at the Tom Taylor Building less than a block from the stadium. Then, unconscious, he was taken to University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The cause of death was determined after Rao conducted, or ordered to be conducted, a wide-ranging span of pathological and toxicology tests.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

That diagnosis on cause of death sounds a bit fishy.

Also the article does not say which strain of meningitis he had.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Crazy. I've never heard of meningitis causing a sudden death like that. Aren't you usually very sick for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Aug 23 2005, 08:08 AM
        One source who was familiar with Rao’s findings said: “Football had nothing to do with this. He would have died at the mall if he was at the mall.”
        He would have survived if he was at the mall because somebody there would have been smart enough to call 911, rather than just take him into a store so the checkout clerk could take a look at him.
        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

What a sad story.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz+Aug 23 2005, 08:55 AM-->
            QUOTE(Tazlaz @ Aug 23 2005, 08:55 AM)

If he had viral meningal inflammation, he could indeed have collapsed due to overexertion in the manner in which he did....and it`s likely he would have died whether he was sent straight to the hospital or not. It is just too difficult of a diagnosis to pin down.

That being said,the family still likely cashes in on our tax dollar when this goes to a jury.
            "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 23 2005, 09:39 AM
              Crazy. I've never heard of meningitis causing a sudden death like that. Aren't you usually very sick for a while?
              Yes, my sister had meningitis when she was in her 20's and was sick to the point of almost not being able to move for 24 hours prior to admission to the hospital where she spent 8 days, 4 of them in ICU.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

“Football had nothing to do with this. He would have died at the mall if he was at the mall.”
                This kinda statement is the universal flag for ass covering.
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I didn't know we had so many doctor's here... <_<
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Damon@Aug 23 2005, 10:22 AM
                    I didn't know we had so many doctor's here... <_<

Moon

Comment

A guy I went to high school with died of the same thing. I guess when he left for work in the morning the guard at the community entrance/exit told him he looked like hell and should go see a doctor (I think he had blotchy skin or something). Went to the hospital later in the afternoon and was dead that night. He was 26. Too young.

Comment

Originally posted by sherwood koho@Aug 23 2005, 10:40 AM
                        A guy I went to high school with died of the same thing. I guess when he left for work in the morning the guard at the community entrance/exit told him he looked like hell and should go see a doctor (I think he had blotchy skin or something). Went to the hospital later in the afternoon and was dead that night. He was 26. Too young.
                        Sounds like it was Mizzou's fault to me.
                        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Aug 23 2005, 12:37 PM-->
                          QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Aug 23 2005, 12:37 PM)

STLToday says it was viral...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                          X