Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After much early-season bashing, Mulder is 15-6!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After much early-season bashing, Mulder is 15-6!

Much was made of Mulder's acquisition and early season inconsistency. But charging into the last month of the season, Mulder sports an impressive record of 15-6. By comparison, his former pitching buddy in Oakland, and whom many argued has better stuff, Tim Hudson, just recorded his tenth win tonight against Chicago.

Other numbers for Mulder include: 3.74 ERA, 168 innings pitched, 174 hits allowed, 73 runs (70 earned), 57 base on balls, and only 88 strike outs.

So, how do you feel? Those initially critical, have your emotions changed? Is Mulder the arm we needed to make a run at the WS, or (despite his record) are you still not convinced he's worthy of a long-term contract?

And speaking of contracts, has Morris proven his value this season...is he worthy of a new deal?

What about Grudzielanek who's looking to cash in after signing a 1-year deal?

Sanders also wants to extend his stay in a starting role, is he worth the money, or do we save money and plug in one of the proven reserves?

And what on earth do we do with a woefully inconsistent Marquis and and grinder Suppan?
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Like I said back when Mulder was playing the role of Pepe Le Peau: Wait till the season is over before jumping off the Poplar...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Aug 23 2005, 12:02 AM

And speaking of contracts, has Morris proven his value this season...is he worthy of a new deal?

I have been impressed with Morrris this year, even with the current (dead arm?) swoon.

After this last contract I assume that he is looking for some payback, but I don't think that multiple operations, and learning how to pitch, point to long term health: he could fold at any time.

I say let him grab his ring elsewhere.

Comment

Sign Grudz for up to 4 a year.
        Sign Morris with new deal at 10.
        Ride Mulder out for one more year.
        Deal Marquis.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

I didn't get a chance to see last night's game. How good was Mulder?

I don't think we will be able to keep Grudz -- I would like to, but he is probably going to win the gold glove and he his value has skyrocketed. Nunez may be an adequate alternative at 2nd.

I'm sure we will pick up Mulder's option -- isn't it like $5 or $6 million. That's a good price for someone who can give you 17 + wins.

I think Morris is history -- he'll be too expensive.

I think we should give Suppan a 2 to 3 year moderately priced contract. He has absolutely proven his worth to this team.
          "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52@Aug 23 2005, 07:49 AM
            I didn't get a chance to see last night's game. How good was Mulder?

I don't think we will be able to keep Grudz -- I would like to, but he is probably going to win the gold glove and he his value has skyrocketed. Nunez may be an adequate alternative at 2nd.

I'm sure we will pick up Mulder's option -- isn't it like $5 or $6 million. That's a good price for someone who can give you 17 + wins.

I think Morris is history -- he'll be too expensive.

I think we should give Suppan a 2 to 3 year moderately priced contract. He has absolutely proven his worth to this team.
            I believe the Cardinals own a club option for Suppan at around $5 million.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Aug 23 2005, 07:20 AM
              Sign Grudz for up to 4 a year.
              Sign Morris with new deal at 10.
              Ride Mulder out for one more year.
              Deal Marquis.
              Three out of four. Morris will want at least three years. They shouldn't risk it on him. They should have dealt Jason two months ago. JJ.

Comment

I hate to cop out but....

The verdict on Mulder depends entirely on what he does in October.

That's why he was acquired.

Comment

AWESOME!
                  Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

If Morris proves too expensive, relatively speaking, I'm inclined to agree with Q45...don't resign him.

Grudzielanek should definitely be resigned, gold glove or not. Not only has he proven himself offensively, but defensively, too. It would be criminal to break up the most productive double play duo in the game. If St. Louis makes the same mistake Chicago made, shame on them. Give him the money. (And my sponsorship of him has ab-so-lutely no influence in my opinion. )

After much angst at his early season ups and downs, I'm usually impressed on some level whenever Mulder takes the mound, providing the stars are out. We should probably consider locking him up now.

As good as Nunez has been this year, I balk at handing anything over to him full time after only one productive year. I'd still use him primarily off the bench, though his value has significantly increased.
                    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Grudz is 35, has a tendor achilles, and put up slightly above career average numbers for him. I think he'll get overpaid this offseason, a la Womack, and we'll be grateful that he gave us one very good year offensively and defensively at 2B. 4 million a year is way too much for him.

I still have a sneaking suspicion that we are going to sign a SS and move Eckstein to 2B. Furcal is the best SS FA out there, though we'll just have to keep him away from Leonard Little.

Comment

No way you pay Morris that much
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I like the Mulder pickup, if only for this one reason: it gives our rotation a whole different look.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Mulder's option is for 7.5 million for next year, so he's getting picked up even if he pulls an Ankiel in the playoffs.

I still think Morris' most likely destination is the Mets. He would thrive pitching in Shea and would be a great addition to their rotation. I would be hesitant to offer him a 3-4 year contract for 10+ million a year, howeve.r

Comment

He sucks.
                              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Working...
                              X