Dusty Baker: Master of rhetoric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty Baker: Master of rhetoric

"They talk about me and kids and [stuff]. How many kids I got? Damn near half my team is kids. Probably 80 percent of my pitchers. You look at [Cardinals manager] Tony La Russa, how many kids has he ever had? He has nothing but veterans on his team, and he always has."
    --Cubs manager Dusty Baker, on his purported preference for veterans (Chicago Sun-Times)

"The only thing about teaching at the big-league level is you can't teach them until they make a mistake."
    --Baker

"You don't tell a guy about the cutoff man until he misses it. You assume they know that stuff when they get here."
    --Baker

"That's the only thing about teaching at the big-league level is that they make mistakes here. At the minor-league level, if they make mistakes, it's going to be in the Des Moines Gazette. It's not in USA Today or on ESPN, showing you getting picked off."
    --Baker

RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 22 2005, 09:31 PM
      "You don't tell a guy about the cutoff man until he misses it. You assume they know that stuff when they get here."
      --Baker
      I won't disagree with that one, but the rest is just standard fare from Dusty.

Comment

Not to defend Baker, as I also caught flack a few years back on BOTB when I defended TLR, when he also stated that the MLB level should not be a place for teaching fundamentals of baseball 101.

Thins like hitting the cutoff man, throwing to the right base, knowing how many outs there are, picking up your third base coach, hitting behind the runners, and so on, should have been learned well before the majors.

IMO, once a guy reaches the majors, these skills should just be fine tuned to fit the offensive scheme of that particular club.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 22 2005, 09:31 PM
          "They talk about me and kids and [stuff]. How many kids I got? Damn near half my team is kids. Probably 80 percent of my pitchers. You look at [Cardinals manager] Tony La Russa, how many kids has he ever had? He has nothing but veterans on his team, and he always has."
          --Cubs manager Dusty Baker, on his purported preference for veterans (Chicago Sun-Times)
          Jesus. Then go manage the Yankees you piece of shit.
          Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Aug 23 2005, 09:45 AM-->
            QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Aug 23 2005, 09:45 AM)

Albert Pujols. Matt Morris. Edgar Renteria.

STFU Dustah. We don't want you getting yourself fired.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Aug 23 2005, 08:45 AM-->
              QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Aug 23 2005, 08:45 AM)

my only question is this: Has he been watching the Cards this year? This may be TLR's best year as a manager with the holes he has had to fill. Dusta would have a fifth place team with this lineup

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke@Aug 23 2005, 10:10 AM
                Dusta would have a fifth place team with this lineup
                Before it's all said and done, he may have a fifth place team with his own. The Reds are just 2.5 games behind the Cubs.

Comment

Originally posted by bcruise+Aug 23 2005, 09:19 AM-->
                  QUOTE(bcruise @ Aug 23 2005, 09:19 AM)

Originally posted by jhanke+Aug 23 2005, 10:24 AM-->
                  QUOTE(jhanke @ Aug 23 2005, 10:24 AM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2005, 09:19 AM
                Working...
                X