All things considered...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things considered...

To think we might have ended up with RJ instead of Mulder.

Well done Walt.

NEW YORK (AP) - A day after Randy Johnson gave up four home runs in one inning during a loss at Chicago, the Yankees admitted the Big Unit has struggled during his first season in New York.

"He's got time to do what's necessary to get us where we need to be." ~ Brian Cashman on Randy Johnson (Jim McIsaac / Getty Images)
    "He hasn't performed to his expectation or ours, but that's not something that hasn't happened before, either," general manager Brian Cashman said before Monday night's game against Toronto.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4798848
    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

He looked very good tonight, from the bits that I saw.

I'm going to reserve judgment until Mulder's first post-season outing, however.

Until then, I think he's a head case and will only disappoint this October.

Comment

Originally posted by The Skeptic@Aug 22 2005, 08:55 PM
      Until then, I think he's a head case and will only disappoint this October.
      There is nothing in his history to indicate that.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

He's been fine in the playoffs before.

Comment

I got a bad feeling.

That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 22 2005, 09:12 PM
            He's been fine in the playoffs before.
            But that was before...

We're talking about now...

I mean, who can forget all those shitty performances he's had for the Cardinals in the post-season?

Reallly, has anyone figured out how the guy even ever made a major league roster...

Nepotism or blackmail is all I can figure...
            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I'll be first in line for that tasty crow. I really thought RJ was the pitcher to get last year, and this past offseason. But he looks terrible at times.
              Mulder, even though he has pitched good at times this year, still hasn't shown me that consistency i'd like to have in the guy that takes the mound in game 5 or 7 of a playoff series. But he is racking up the wins though.

Comment

Originally posted by Neutered Cat@Aug 22 2005, 10:19 PM
                I'll be first in line for that tasty crow. I really thought RJ was the pitcher to get last year, and this past offseason. But he looks terrible at times.
                Mulder, even though he has pitched good at times this year, still hasn't shown me that consistency i'd like to have in the guy that takes the mound in game 5 or 7 of a playoff series. But he is racking up the wins though.

++

Also watching Hudson tonight - the pitcher many have said that we got jobbed out of by Atlanta - I don't really see that much difference with Mulder.

Slightly higher velocity, more movement, but the season doesn't show him to be the missing piece that Mulder isn't.

Neither of these guys were an RJ playoff pitcher of several years ago: there aren't many of them, and I think that RJ isn't one of them any more.

It almost seems that Mulder is still adjusting, to the team and the league. But his totals are going in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by g45+Aug 22 2005, 09:37 PM-->
                  QUOTE(g45 @ Aug 22 2005, 09:37 PM)

He often seems uncomfortable, or not in control, but I have never really studied him that much in the past.

It's clear that he is not a shutdown ace/power pitcher, but he is showing that he can grind a game out and be dominant at times - if he uses the defense.

The day thing is on the other side of weird.

Comment

I'd say the question to ask as season's end isn't Mulder vs. the other FAs, it's Mulder vs. Haren.
                    "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
                    – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

Originally posted by g45@Aug 22 2005, 10:01 PM
                      He often seems uncomfortable, or not in control, but I have never really studied him that much in the past.

It's clear that he is not a shutdown ace/power pitcher, but he is showing that he can grind a game out and be dominant at times - if he uses the defense.

The day thing is on the other side of weird.
                      He's definitely been keeping the ball down better. A few months ago, he looked extremely hittable and there seemed to be a hitch in his mechanics.

I haven't been able to watch one of his starts in a few weeks or so, but he seems to be driving off the mound better and getting some more sink on his fasball. I'm just hoping he can keep it up through October....

Comment

Originally posted by YYZ@Aug 22 2005, 10:02 PM
                        I'd say the question to ask as season's end isn't Mulder vs. the other FAs, it's Mulder vs. Haren.

Even that's only relevant if the A's make the playoffs...
                        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by YYZ@Aug 22 2005, 11:02 PM
                          Given their history, I would have to go with Mulder.

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW+Aug 22 2005, 09:06 PM-->
                            QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Aug 22 2005, 09:06 PM)
                          Working...
                          X