• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOFers Bradshaw, Largent added to BCS poll panel

Hall of Famers Bradshaw, Largent, Munoz to vote in new poll

Aug. 22, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

Terry Bradshaw, Lou Holtz, Steve Largent and Anthony Munoz are among the 114 panelists voting in a new poll the Bowl Championship Series will use this season to determine which teams play in college football's four major bowls, including the national title game.

The Harris Interactive College Football Poll panel is made up of former college football players, coaches and administrators, plus some media members. The names of its voters were released Monday.

"Harris Interactive has been diligent in creating a voting panel that is balanced, statistically valid, and representative of all I-A conferences and independents," BCS coordinator and Big 12 Conference commissioner Kevin Weiberg said in a statement.

The Harris Poll replaces the Associated Press Top 25 media poll as one of three components in the BCS standings. The coaches poll and a compilation of six computer rankings make up the other two-thirds of a team's BCS grade.

The AP poll had been used by the BCS since its inception in 1998, but after last season the AP asked BCS officials to stop using its rankings in their formula.

The Harris panel has numerous big names on it, including NFL Hall of Famers Bradshaw, Largent and Munoz.

Bradshaw played at Louisiana Tech. Munoz was an All-American tackle at USC. Largent played for Tulsa.

Holtz retired from coaching last season, leaving South Carolina. He also made successful stop at Arkansas, Minnesota and Notre Dame.

Among the other former players voting in the Harris Poll are Raghib Ismail, Boomer Esiason, Don Maynard, Lee Roy Selmon and Craig Morton.

Spike Dykes, Gerry DiNardo and Foge Fazio are among the former coaches taking part in the poll.

Former Southeastern Conference commissioner Roy Kramer, whose effort was pivotal in forming the BCS, will also be a Harris poll voter.

The 114-member panel was selected by Harris Interactive Inc., a marketing firm hired by the BCS, out of a group of more than 300 nominations supplied by the Division I-A conferences and Notre Dame.

The voters were chosen to give equal representation to all 11 conferences.

The first Harris poll will be released Sept. 25, four weeks into the college football regular season. Harris poll voters will not be required to make their ballots public until the final poll Dec. 5.

Voters in the coaches poll agreed for the first time to release their final ballots this season.

The first BCS standings will be released Oct. 17.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Terry Bradshaw? Does this guy even remember being in college?

PLAYOFF!!!
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 22 2005, 05:43 PM
      Terry Bradshaw? Does this guy even remember being in college?

PLAYOFF!!!
      Does he know how to spell "cat"?
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

I've never heard a good reason why there is no playoff in D1A football...

Comment

Originally posted by 210@Aug 22 2005, 05:46 PM
          I've never heard a good reason why there is no playoff in D1A football...

Yes you have.

It's about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from the bowl sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev+Aug 22 2005, 06:34 PM-->
            QUOTE(The Kev @ Aug 22 2005, 06:34 PM)

Originally posted by CSD+Aug 22 2005, 07:36 PM-->
            QUOTE(CSD @ Aug 22 2005, 07:36 PM)
            Originally posted by The [email protected] 22 2005, 06:34 PM

To some folks, $$$$$$$$$$$ is the only reason for action, whether it's good, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 22 2005, 07:43 PM
              To some folks, $$$$$$$$$$$ is the only reason for action, whether it's good, or not.
              BTW, there's no reason why there can't be a playoff and bowl system...even if you took the 16 best D1A teams for a playoff there's still enough quality teams for most of the bowls.

Comment

Originally posted by 210+Aug 22 2005, 06:45 PM-->
                QUOTE(210 @ Aug 22 2005, 06:45 PM)

Originally posted by JWB+Aug 22 2005, 05:44 PM-->
                QUOTE(JWB @ Aug 22 2005, 05:44 PM)

Throw in 2 midgets and a nun, and we'd have ourselves a good ole party.

I can't remember if TBF is against 2 midgets and a nun destroying the majesty of the regular season.
                From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Working...
                X