Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots Trade For Andre Davis

For an undisclosed pick

Seems like a curious move, considering the Patriots already have a bazillion receivers in camp.

Browns send Andre' Davis to Patriots

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
    August 22, 2005
    CLEVELAND (AP) -- Wide receiver Andre' Davis was traded to the New England Patriots by the Cleveland Browns for an undisclosed draft pick Monday.

Davis, who has been mentioned in trade talks for several months, became expendable after the Browns drafted rookie Braylon Edwards, and Antonio Bryant and Dennis Northcutt both emerged during training camp.

Davis had also lost his job as the club's No. 1 kick returner to rookie Joshua Cribbs.

The 26-year-old Davis was already in New England when the Patriots announced the deal.

Last week, the Browns gave Davis and his agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade. The Philadelphia Eagles and Seattle Seahawks also expressed interest in Davis.

McGuire didn't immediately return a phone message.

Davis was selected in the second round (No. 47 overall) of the 2002 draft by former Browns coach Butch Davis, who thought the former Virginia Tech track star's speed would open things up for Cleveland's offense.

However, injuries have slowed Davis' development.

Because of a nagging toe injury, he started only seven games and had 16 receptions for 416 yards and two touchdowns last season. One of those TDs was a 99-yarder from Jeff Garcia, the longest pass play in Browns history.

Davis' days seemed numbered in Cleveland when first-year Browns coach Romeo Crennel said the 6-foot-1, 195-pounder was having ``an average camp.''

Davis, who is eligible for free agency next year, got off to a strong start as a rookie with Cleveland. He scored a TD in his first three games, becoming just the sixth rookie since 1970 to begin his career that way.

In 2003, Davis had 40 catches for 576 yards and five TDs.

Official Lounge Sponsor:
    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

This move also raised my eyebrows.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

It never hurts to have more depth. I'd like to know what kind of draft pick the Pats gave up for him.
      Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

How is Terrell doing?

Maybe he isn't meeting expectations and they feel they need another body??
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 22 2005, 11:52 AM
          It never hurts to have more depth. I'd like to know what kind of draft pick the Pats gave up for him.
          ESPN Radio said it was a 5th. Not bad, if Davis can stay healthy.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuts_For_Koharski+Aug 22 2005, 01:40 PM-->
            QUOTE(Donuts_For_Koharski @ Aug 22 2005, 01:40 PM)

Originally posted by Sam Damon@Aug 22 2005, 01:58 PM
            How is Terrell doing?

Maybe he isn't meeting expectations and they feel they need another body??
            I've heard he's looked good in practices, but I don't think he's dressed for either game yet.
            Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa+Aug 22 2005, 01:44 PM-->
              QUOTE(Lippa @ Aug 22 2005, 01:44 PM)

I have no idea. The CIA should be as tight-lipped with information as the Patriots front office.
              Official Lounge Sponsor:

Comment

Originally posted by Lippa@Aug 22 2005, 03:25 PM
                I have no idea. The CIA should be as tight-lipped with information as the Patriots front office.
                I'd think I'd prefer that over the weekly pack of lies that the Rams tell.
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                X