• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln to have 2d 'Tommy John' surgery

Lincoln likely to have another major surgery
    By Derrick Goold
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/20/2005

Cardinals reliever Mike Lincoln is likely to have a second Tommy John surgery performed on his right elbow, meaning the righthander will have had three surgeries since he last tossed a pitch in competition more than 15 months ago.

Lincoln, who has not thrown in about a week, has had his options laid out and after meeting with team doctors early this week it is expected a date for another surgery will be set.

"It's definitely been a frustrating season," said the righthander, who last pitched on May 3, 2004, going 1 1/3 innings against Chicago. "It's been a bad situation, a tough situation."

Lincoln, 30, had ligament replacement surgery - commonly called "Tommy John surgery" after the former pitcher - on July 13, 2004. He hastened his rehab in spring training and had a setback that required additional surgery earlier this season to remove a bone spur that was causing pain.

He joked a couple of months ago that there wasn't room for any more holes in his right elbow.

The second surgery has not alleviated the pain.

"It appears the last procedure did not hold," Cardinals assistant general manager John Mozeliak said. "It's going to require another look."

Lincoln said he plans to meet with doctors as soon as Monday for additional tests on the elbow, but multiple Cardinals officials said the organization expects a third surgery will be necessary. In seeking a second opinion outside of the team doctors, Lincoln has met with Dr. James Andrews, an orthopedist in Birmingham, Ala., and has yet to select who will perform the second Tommy John procedure.

It likely will be former team doctor and current medical consultant Dr. George Paletta, who performed the surgery 13 months ago. The next surgery would require the same time frame of rehab, meaning it could be next summer before Lincoln is able to pitch in a game.

Lincoln was 3-2 with a 5.19 ERA in 17 1/3 innings over 13 appearances before his elbow flared up in May 2004. To that point, he was among the most-used members of the Cardinals' bullpen.

The righthander has remained with the club and around the clubhouse throughout this season, going through bursts of rehab, throwing and setbacks. He said Saturday that the trouble with his elbow has become so exasperating that he cannot discern "the difference between the good pain and the bad pain - the pain I should be feeling as it is a natural part of healing and the pain that says something is wrong.

"Through this whole thing, the (Cardinals) have been patient with me. Obviously, there's been frustrations on both sides that I'm not at a point where I can pitch. But they've stuck with me this whole time."

Cards activate Walker

Larry Walker, back from a 4 1/2-week stint on the disabled list, started in right field Saturday after giving manager Tony La Russa the nod he was ready to play. Walker had been out to calm the ache in a herniated disc in his neck - an injury that is expected to require a cortisone shot just before the start of postseason play.

Walker, who had said before the game his return "was just a matter of time," was 0 for three in the game, and a sixth-inning unsuccessful dive for a line drive didn't cause any damage, La Russa said. "I want to try and contribute," Walker continued. "I'm not 25 (years old) anymore, so I'm going to need a couple days to get my legs under me."

La Russa plans to play Walker as he's able, expecting him to perhaps miss Sunday's game but play Monday, and so on.

To make room for Walker on the active roster, the Cardinals sent catcher Mike Mahoney to Class AAA Memphis.

Old home weekend

Although the Giants have cut ties with Kirk Rueter, designating the lefthander for assignment, the Hoyleton, Ill., native hasn't cut ties with his teammates. There was a limousine waiting outside the clubhouse after Saturday's game to transport a bushel of Giants to the Shed, Rueter's hangout in his hometown, for the annual party Rueter hosts when the Giants visit St. Louis.

Another Giant, catcher Mike Matheny, has been overwhelmed by the reception he has received in his return to Busch Stadium. Matheny received his National League championship ring Saturday and said it was "amazing" how his ex-teammates streamed over to congratulate him.

Matheny received a prolonged ovation in his first at-bat Friday; pitcher Chris Carpenter stayed off the mound to allow the applause to build. "I want to thank the fans for doing that," Matheny said. "I don't know what's typical, but that's not normal."

Around the horn

The Cardinals turned two double plays in Saturday's 4-2 victory, giving them 12 double plays through five games of this six-game home stand. With 39 games remaining, the Cardinals have turned 156 double plays, most in the majors and two more than the team had last season. The club record is 192. ... Cardinals reliever Julian Tavarez entered the home stand having allowed just three of 26 inherited runners to score. Two came in Friday night before Tavarez (2-2) got the win in relief, and three of the past four inherited runners have scored on the righthander.

Staff writer Rick Hummel contributed to this report.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

see ya Linc
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I blame Devaskar.
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Aug 21 2005, 12:18 AM
        I blame Devaskar.
        ++
        You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Wow. Tony really meatgrinded him! Mr. Damtoft will be proud.

Comment

Too bad.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels@Aug 21 2005, 08:36 AM
              Wow. Tony really meatgrinded him! Mr. Damtoft will be proud.
              It usually takes him a bit longer to ruin guys.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Congrats!
                Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Working...
                X