WTF Is This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Is This?

A small number of motorists are converting their diesel-run vehicles to also run on used vegetable oil, which can safely pass through the engine once it's hot enough.
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

From the "Glad I'm Not Married to Her" file:

"My husband drinks a lot more in soda than I spend on gas," Sheree Perkowski, a Creve Coeur hairdresser, pointed out. She's trying to consolidate trips in her Ford Escape but said prices will have to be much more than they are now before she makes drastic changes. "

Must be nice to be rich...

Wonder what W's net worth will be once he leaves office...
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

What, you've never heard of bio-diesel? Man, that's old news...even Willie Nelson is selling the stuff in Texas.

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
      Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
      Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Originally posted by Rdog3933+Aug 20 2005, 08:44 PM-->
        QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Aug 20 2005, 08:44 PM)

I heard a radio piece on this the other day. Still requires diesel to heat the engine up to veggie oil burning temperature. Apparantly, there isn't enough farmland to make enough vegetable oil to make this practical. The other reason is that there are agreements in place that we buy a certain quota of Middle Eastern oil over the next so many years.

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW+Aug 20 2005, 08:48 PM-->
          QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Aug 20 2005, 08:48 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Rdog3933+Aug 20 2005, 08:52 PM-->
          QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Aug 20 2005, 08:52 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Rdog3933+Aug 20 2005, 08:52 PM-->
          QUOTE(Rdog3933 @ Aug 20 2005, 08:52 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Aug 20 2005, 08:01 PM
          WTF can't the auto industry?
          Preservation of the geopolitical (dis)order?
          Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

I've heard my uncle talk about that site before.

He's tried his hand at making biodiesel before, and as far as I know, it works, but it's looks like a huge pain in the ass to make.

Comment

Biodiesel isn't a new thing, it has been around for years. It was ignored previously because the price of vegetable oil was significantly higher than the price of regular diesel. With the rise of oil prices it is starting to get a lot of attention. Here is a little excerpt from an article I read on the subjec:

High oil prices have caught the attention of congressional lawmakers who are on the verge of passing an energy bill that provides tax breaks and incentives for the development and use of renewable fuels such as biodiesel, a mixture of vegetable oil and diesel and ethanol, which is made from renewable sources and is an alternative to gasoline. The bill is expected to be passed prior to the August recess and to be signed by President Bush.

The use of biodiesel in Vermont and New Hampshire is growing, and there now are service stations in a few locations that sell the fuel for use in automobiles and trucks, said John Rymes, who is the largest distributor of biodiesel in both states and has five biodiesel retail locations.

The common biodiesel sold in the two states is a blend of 20 percent vegetable oil, usually made from soybeans or castor beans, and 80 percent diesel. It can be used in cars with diesel engines. In warmer parts of the country, 100 percent vegetable oil is sold for transportation fuel, Rymes said. The fuel, however, doesn't do well in the cold.
              http://www.vnews.com/07242005/2513301.htm

Comment

That FX show 30 days had an epidsode where a SUV driving, meat eating, typical American from the big city lived with hippies somewhere near Kirksville, MO. Totally off the grid...

Anyway, one of his tasks was to work on converting a diesil VW to veg oil. It was a crazy process but this dude and the hippies got it to work.

Comment

Working...
                X