• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another rumor: Eckstein tests positive

Positive Where He Stands
    Damon Responds To Rumor Linking His Name To Steroids
    August 19, 2005
    By DAVID HEUSCHKEL, Courant Staff Writer

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Red Sox center fielder Johnny Damon addressed an unsubstantiated rumor that surfaced Thursday that he was among a group of players who tested positive for steroids.

"Did he look at you and go, `I have never ...'" Mike Timlin said as he pointed his finger, an obvious allusion to Rafael Palmeiro's stern denial before Congress.

Damon wasn't nearly as dramatic.

"I just think people want to start something with anybody," said Damon, who entered Thursday's game against the Angels hitting .331, best in the American League. "I'd be more than happy to take any test. There's no way. If I tested positive for something, it's going to be because someone threw something in a drink or did something like that."

Damon said he was tested twice this year, first in spring training and again two or three months ago. He said he wasn't upset that his name was linked to steroids.

"I'm used to that stuff happening to me this year," he said. "There's been so many rumors in my personal life in Boston that it's been absolutely crazy. Rumors don't bother me. I know the person I am. What else can you do about it? You're in the spotlight. There's people in Hollywood that deal with it all the time. Our team is the closest thing to Hollywood in baseball."

Damon has been an advocate of stricter testing for steroids, so it was surprising that he was linked.

It's uncertain where the rumor originated. Astros pitcher Roger Clemens and Cardinals shortstop David Eckstein were also mentioned as players who tested positive.

Major League Baseball officials received calls about it.

"I just heard it walking in here as a rumor," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said. "I don't even want to honor that by commenting on it."

Hansen On His Way

Righthander Craig Hansen, a first-round pick this year, appears to be on the fast track to Boston.

The 6-foot-6 Hansen, picked 26th overall out of St. John's, has not allowed a run and has two saves in three relief appearances since joining Double A Portland last week. He has five strikeouts and no walks in four innings.

"He stands out a little bit with his size and presence and command, especially for a guy who has had two weeks of experience in pro ball," Epstein said.

Hansen, 21, will pitch tonight and Saturday, his first back-to-back appearances, and could join the Red Sox as early as next week in Kansas City.

Bellhorn Decision Due

The Red Sox are expected to announce a decision today on second baseman Mark Bellhorn, who has been on a minor league rehab assignment since Aug. 1. The team will likely trade Bellhorn or designate him for assignment. ... Keith Foulke will throw batting practice to Trot Nixon today. Both are expected to start rehab assignments soon. Epstein said that when Foulke returns he will probably ease back into the closer's role. ... The Red Sox backed off on having Wade Miller (shoulder) begin his throwing program. He won't do it until the team gets to Kansas City. ... Kevin Millar has gone 179 at-bats without a homer. ... Tony Graffanino (1-for-4) has hit in nine consecutive games, going 15-for-37 (.405). ... Damon has had a hit or scored a run in 56 straight. ... Bill Mueller, who hit a solo homer, has 34 RBI in his past 50 games. ... The Red Sox had scored at least five runs in nine straight games.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

If Alex "Dirty" Sanchez can test positive, anyone can. Right?

But I can't believe Eck would ever "use".
    --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
    --Suck it cubbies.
    --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

I thought this was a joke.

Comment

Guy will not buy a new car, but he will let someone stick him in the ass? I call BS.

But maybe that is where all his car money is going...

I call BS
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by "F"_the_Cubs@Aug 19 2005, 02:23 PM
          If Alex "Dirty" Sanchez can test positive, anyone can. Right?

But I can't believe Eck would ever "use".

I believe the eckstein rumor, when he threw in Anaheim it his motion looked like a full windmill now its only three quarters windmill, he must be on the juice.

Comment

Considering he'll probably have to donate a kidney to someone when he retires, I doubt Eckstein would use steroids.
            The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Note to David Eckstein: If you are on steroids, start upping the dosage.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I doubt Eckstein takes anything more than a Flintstones chewable.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Aug 19 2005, 02:31 PM
                  I doubt Eckstein takes anything more than a Flintstones chewable.

Moon
                  yeah, I mean, come on. Eckstein?!?!?
                  Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 19 2005, 12:24 PM
                    I thought this was a joke.
                    Me too.
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

People lets face the facts its on the internet so it must be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier@Aug 19 2005, 02:33 PM
                        People lets face the facts its on the internet so it must be true.
                        GRAMMMAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111 11one

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Sort of surprising that the Courant would print names associated with rumors.

Comment

I'm all for Eckstein taking steroids. Maybe it'll make him into a lifesize MLBers one day.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by gibsongirl@Aug 19 2005, 02:30 PM
                              Considering he'll probably have to donate a kidney to someone when he retires, I doubt Eckstein would use steroids.
                              ++

After seeing all the health problems other members of his family have faced, I wouldn't think he would purposefully mess up his own body.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                              Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                              Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                              NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                              LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Working...
                              X