X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 reasons you can't blame Don Denkinger

ESPN Classic, Monday night at 8:00.

Might be interesting.

I was wondering when they were going to do that.

I won't watch because I think I already know those 5 reasons.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Top reason ESPN sucks now. They create shows like this.
      *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by JWB@Aug 18 2005, 11:25 PM
        I was wondering when they were going to do that.

I won't watch because I think I already know those 5 reasons.
        ++

I don't need an ESPN special to tell me the five reasons, but thanks for the heads-up...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Reason #1:

He wasn't the Cardinals pitcher in game 7.

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Aug 18 2005, 10:27 PM-->
            QUOTE(*007* @ Aug 18 2005, 10:27 PM)

Reason 2: The Cardinals only got 40 hits for the entire seven-game series.

Reason 3: The Cardinals still could have gotten out of that inning, but Clark dropped the popup, Porter had a passed ball, and they coughed up the game-winning hit to Iorg.

Reason 4: Kansas City had a pact with Satan.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Yes, it's true that a lot of stuff happened after the bad call -- Clark muffing the fly, etc.

But you can't dismiss the notion that Denkinger's bad call contributed to those things. Players are not robots. That's why there is such a thing as a momentum swing in sports.

I always tell the Royals fans -- OK, let's go back in time. Denkinger gets the call right. You still think all those other bad things are going to happen? I say no.

It's just like the Bartman play. If that play doesn't happen, maybe the shortstop doesn't boot the ball.

I don't blame the Cardinals so much for not being able to overturn the momentum of Denkinger's bad call. I blame them for not getting their act together for Game 7. The series was still there, waiting to be won, and we had Tudor on the mound. That was Whitey's worst moment, I think.
              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah I blame them for losing 3 in a row up 3-1.

That definitely takes a team effort.
                Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

They hit .187 for the Series and took it to seven games.

The Mighty, Mighty Boss Royals. What a freakin' joke. Weakest world champion ever.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan@Aug 19 2005, 08:41 AM
                    Yes, it's true that a lot of stuff happened after the bad call -- Clark muffing the fly, etc.

But you can't dismiss the notion that Denkinger's bad call contributed to those things. Players are not robots. That's why there is such a thing as a momentum swing in sports.

I always tell the Royals fans -- OK, let's go back in time. Denkinger gets the call right. You still think all those other bad things are going to happen? I say no.

It's just like the Bartman play. If that play doesn't happen, maybe the shortstop doesn't boot the ball.

I don't blame the Cardinals so much for not being able to overturn the momentum of Denkinger's bad call. I blame them for not getting their act together for Game 7. The series was still there, waiting to be won, and we had Tudor on the mound. That was Whitey's worst moment, I think.
                    Definitely Whitey's worst moment. He says he knew they were toast before game 7 began.
                    Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by justwundrin@Aug 19 2005, 06:53 AM
                      He says he knew they were toast before game 7 began.
                      Gee, that's a great way to motivate your team and pick them up for the big game, Whitey.
                      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Yes, in the great Whitey vs. Tony debate, it's utterly impossible to imagine La Russa admitting defeat before a game even started. They'd have gone out the next night and if nothing else, played nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Aug 19 2005, 07:52 AM
                          They hit .187 for the Series and took it to seven games.

The Mighty, Mighty Boss Royals. What a freakin' joke. Weakest world champion ever.
                          It's between them and that Dodgers team with Mickey Hatcher and Tracy Woodson. The As must have really had a stupid manager to lose to that bunch.
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

No, it's between them and the 1987 Twins. We specialize (SB 36) in losing the big ones to the weakest opponents possible.

Comment

Working...
                            X