• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA's all time overrated and underrated lists

Overrated:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3882560

Underrated:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3885926
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Overrated:

Disagree with the author about Barkley for sure. It's like Dr. J said about Charles during his 2nd season in Philly: "The only thing fat about Charles is his head."

I also disagree that Elvin Hayes and Karl Malone were. Studs, both. I don't really think that Gary Payton was overrated either, not by much.

Agree that Gervin, Ewing, and Hawkins were. No D for Gervin, terrible offense for Ewing. Connie Hawkins was spectacular, but not a well rounded player. I also agree that David Robinson was soft.

Bellamy and McAdoo? Don't remember enough about Bellamy to argue one way or the other. McAdoo was a great player, but got into bad habits playing for a crap team- Buffalo, the forerunner to the Clippers- for so many years. He was a great contributer to the mid eighties Lakers teams, though, as a scorer, rebounder, and defensive player. Maravich, overrated? He was a flash, but who ever thought he was great? Fun to watch, but not a guy who was going to take you to a championship.

Have to check out underrated later.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Bob Pettit cannot even make the underrated list?

Outstanding career stats---one of the most dominant players of his era---I know he was left off a top fifty list by somebody.

Maybe if he had scored 50 points in a world championship deciding game against the Celtics he would be remembered. Oh, wait. He did.
      v

Comment

i'm just gonna say there are a few things i do not agree with.

Comment

Malone isn't any more overrated than Marino. I don't have many gripes about the other overrateds. JJ.

Comment

Malone is not overrated. Talk about crappy teams Malone and Stockton were usually playing 2 on 5. their runs to the championship were amazing i that htey had nobody on those teams besides those two. Their depth compared to other teams in the west was attrocious. Their 3rd best player on their runner up teams was Jeff Hornacek, and not prime Hornacek end of his career Hornacek. Still they would have had a championship if Jordan hadn't been allowed to push down Russell and shoot an open jumper with his defender on the floor.

Ewing may be slightly overrated in that he is not in the top 5 centers of all time but he is top 10. Once again poor personnell moves by the Knicks doomed him. His second fiddle during his prime was John Starks.

The Admiral may not be thought of as highly as he was in his prime now but still is a top 6 center. The no handles thing is bs. When he broke in the league no one could move like him in the post. After his injury in 96 he was not the same player speed wise.

Barkley was a top 3 player in the league for 5 or 6 seasons. I don't care how much he weighed.

Gervin, Pistol, and The hawk were all flash that is true. Not a bad thing all the time but nobody is saying these guys are the best players anyways.

The underrated list is reaching and of course leaves out Mr underrated Bob Petit. Rick Barry was the basketball equivalent to Ted Williams. Ted could hit, Barry could shoot. Everything else was half assed.

Lucas is an asshole. Talk about a me first player. His teamates hated him. He put up some gawdy rebounding numbers but he was the equivalent of Antoine Walker on offense. Luckily there was no 3 point shot back then. He cherry picked alot and played for stats not for his team.

Sidney Moncrief?????? Not a HOFer. What's next Alvin Robertson? Nice player but not great and played for shitty teams. Only had 4 20 point seasons. Other years hos offense was pedestrian.

Rodman is not underrated. He gets as much credit as he deserves. Total one dimensional player. A good role player on the Pistons nothing else. Went crazy went he went to SA. Robinson being lazy was not the problem in SA. Rodman wanted to do things his way. He ignored the coach and team. He was only effective when totally placated. You can do that when you have Jordan and Pippen but not on those SA teams. They needed more from him and he nver gave it. Overrated one on one defender. For all the guys that he got into their heads with talk and cheap shots plenty just bulled over him. Equally if you got into Rodman's head he was done for the rest of the game.

Comment

Underrated ---- Dominique Wilkins

Didn't make the 50 greatest players list, he was FUCKING robbed.

Dominique Wilkins earned the nickname "Human Highlight Film" with a plethora of spectacular individual plays dating back to his college years at Georgia. A member of the NBA All-Rookie Team in 1983, the high-flying 6-8 forward was been named to seven All-NBA teams and nine consecutive All-Star squads and is a two-time winner of the NBA Slam-Dunk Championship.

In 1986 he won the NBA scoring title with an average of 30.3 points per game, and in 1992 he set an NBA record by sinking 23 free throws in a game without a miss. He's the Atlanta Hawks' all-time franchise leader in both scoring and steals.

One of only 12 players to score over 25,000 points in his NBA career, Wilkins returned to the NBA in 1996-97 after one year in Europe and led the San Antonio Spurs in scoring with an 18.2 average at the age of 37. He left the NBA ranked seventh on the all-time scoring list with 26,534 points and 10th in career scoring average at 25.3 ppg.

Wilkins was an instant hit for the Hawks, averaging 17.5 ppg as a rookie. He came back in his second season with an average of 21.6 ppg, starting a remarkable streak in which he would average above 20 points per contest for 11 consecutive seasons.
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Aug 19 2005, 02:41 AM
                Underrated ---- Dominique Wilkins

Didn't make the 50 greatest players list, he was FUCKING robbed.

Dominique Wilkins earned the nickname "Human Highlight Film" with a plethora of spectacular individual plays dating back to his college years at Georgia. A member of the NBA All-Rookie Team in 1983, the high-flying 6-8 forward was been named to seven All-NBA teams and nine consecutive All-Star squads and is a two-time winner of the NBA Slam-Dunk Championship.

In 1986 he won the NBA scoring title with an average of 30.3 points per game, and in 1992 he set an NBA record by sinking 23 free throws in a game without a miss. He's the Atlanta Hawks' all-time franchise leader in both scoring and steals.

One of only 12 players to score over 25,000 points in his NBA career, Wilkins returned to the NBA in 1996-97 after one year in Europe and led the San Antonio Spurs in scoring with an 18.2 average at the age of 37. He left the NBA ranked seventh on the all-time scoring list with 26,534 points and 10th in career scoring average at 25.3 ppg.

Wilkins was an instant hit for the Hawks, averaging 17.5 ppg as a rookie. He came back in his second season with an average of 21.6 ppg, starting a remarkable streak in which he would average above 20 points per contest for 11 consecutive seasons.
                But what if he hadn't played in Atlanta?

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Aug 18 2005, 08:28 PM
                  Bob Pettit cannot even make the underrated list?

Outstanding career stats---one of the most dominant players of his era---I know he was left off a top fifty list by somebody.

Maybe if he had scored 50 points in a world championship deciding game against the Celtics he would be remembered. Oh, wait. He did.
                  He listed Pettit at #3 among all time power forwards, behind Duncan and McHale, ahead of #4 Malone. I think he's giving Pettit his due.

No. 3 BOB PETTIT

This guy rendered most of his opponents' numbers powerless. His honors included two MVPs, (1956, '59), one championship ('58), and he was selected to the All-NBA First Team from 1955-64.

Bob Pettit was a savage rebounder — his career-high was 20.3 per game in 1960-61, and he concluded his 11 seasons (with the Milwaukee/St. Louis Hawks) averaging 16.2. He scored with one-handed sets, mid-range springers, put-backs and hard-nosed drives to the rim. Put Pettit down for a lifetime mark of 26.4 ppg. He was a dependable (if not prolific) passer and a ferocious (if foul-prone) defender.

The bigger the game, the bigger he played.
                  But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

Suffice to say keyboards are cheap and you shouldn't read everything someone types on them.

Charles Barkley being the number 1 overrated player - Then he calls him fat. Had Andrew Toney not got hurt - Barkley and the Sixers would have been the dominate team of that era. Toney should have easily made the all underrated team.

From Nbadraft.net

Few players in Toney's day were as complete and talented as him. In today's terms picture Richard Hamilton's shooting, Travis Best's ball handling, Kobe Bryant's competitiveness, Mike Bibby's passing skills and Reggie Miller's killer instinct. Combine all that with a fundamentally sound game and physical body strength that would make most power forwards envious.

For those that think I'm over-exaggerating his physical strength, look no further than top 50 All time great and teammate Charles Barkley who once said in his autobiography "Outrageous!", "Toney was amazingly strong, he and Moses were the only ones on the team that could post me up!" Barkley went on to say in the book, "I thought he (Toney) was the best player on the team when I got here. We had Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, and Julius Erving but the only one I was in awe of was Andrew."

That is high praise for someone who came out of little known Southwestern Louisiana as the 8th pick in 1980. During what would be his healthy years, Toney averaged 17.5 points and 4.4 assists per game with two All-star appearances in his first 5 seasons.

Which, in short, is phenomenal when you consider the Sixers had two twenty plus scorers and Hall of Famers in Moses Malone and Julius Erving. Nevertheless, what made Toney one of the decades most dominant players was his ability to raise his game when the stakes were high.

Current Miami Heat general manager Pat Riley once said, "He's the greatest clutch player I've ever seen. The hell with Jerry West!" There are a select few players in the NBA that have nicknames that transcend their God given names. Like Earvin to Magic, Jordan to Air, Isiah to Zeke.

Boston fans and the national media knew Toney as the "Boston Strangler" for the way he single handily dominated the Celtics. He was to Boston what Reggie Miller was to the Knicks. He had the talent plus the heart of a cold-blooded killer to stick the dagger in when it mattered most.

Anyway back to Barkley - I'd like to see the video highlights of him getting abused defensively on a regular basis - he was very tough in the post and he could score on anyone.

I would continue but why bother -

Most glaring crimes against this writer picking Barkley as overrated and leaving Andrew Toney off the underrated list. That alone should be enough to realize this is one of the worst lists I have ever read.
                    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Aug 19 2005, 12:29 PM
                      Suffice to say keyboards are cheap and you shouldn't read everything someone types on them.

Charles Barkley being the number 1 overrated player - Then he calls him fat. Had Andrew Toney not got hurt - Barkley and the Sixers would have been the dominate team of that era. Toney should have easily made the all underrated team.

From Nbadraft.net

Few players in Toney's day were as complete and talented as him. In today's terms picture Richard Hamilton's shooting, Travis Best's ball handling, Kobe Bryant's competitiveness, Mike Bibby's passing skills and Reggie Miller's killer instinct. Combine all that with a fundamentally sound game and physical body strength that would make most power forwards envious.

For those that think I'm over-exaggerating his physical strength, look no further than top 50 All time great and teammate Charles Barkley who once said in his autobiography "Outrageous!", "Toney was amazingly strong, he and Moses were the only ones on the team that could post me up!" Barkley went on to say in the book, "I thought he (Toney) was the best player on the team when I got here. We had Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, and Julius Erving but the only one I was in awe of was Andrew."

That is high praise for someone who came out of little known Southwestern Louisiana as the 8th pick in 1980. During what would be his healthy years, Toney averaged 17.5 points and 4.4 assists per game with two All-star appearances in his first 5 seasons.

Which, in short, is phenomenal when you consider the Sixers had two twenty plus scorers and Hall of Famers in Moses Malone and Julius Erving. Nevertheless, what made Toney one of the decades most dominant players was his ability to raise his game when the stakes were high.

Current Miami Heat general manager Pat Riley once said, "He's the greatest clutch player I've ever seen. The hell with Jerry West!" There are a select few players in the NBA that have nicknames that transcend their God given names. Like Earvin to Magic, Jordan to Air, Isiah to Zeke.

Boston fans and the national media knew Toney as the "Boston Strangler" for the way he single handily dominated the Celtics. He was to Boston what Reggie Miller was to the Knicks. He had the talent plus the heart of a cold-blooded killer to stick the dagger in when it mattered most.

Anyway back to Barkley - I'd like to see the video highlights of him getting abused defensively on a regular basis - he was very tough in the post and he could score on anyone.

I would continue but why bother -

Most glaring crimes against this writer picking Barkley as overrated and leaving Andrew Toney off the underrated list. That alone should be enough to realize this is one of the worst lists I have ever read.
                      ohio told me that no one cares, so STFU

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

We NBA fans are small but dedicated.
                        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Shaq is #1 on my list of overrated.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained@Aug 19 2005, 11:35 AM

Shaq is overrated? What are you watching? Top 5 all time, easy.

3 rings, 3 MOP's, 5 Finals appearances.....I'm still not following....

Wilt, Russell, Jabbar, O'Neal, Mikan......who would/should take his place here?

I am confused about the term - overated....can this be confused for popularity?

In the case of Maravich, I'll admit he was a defensive liability, but his scoring and passing abilities have to be recognized. This guy averaged over 40 ppg in college!

Who were the great teammates he had to play with in the pros? Lou Hudson? Gimme a break....The Jazz were an expansion team when he went there....he should have went to the Carolina Cougars of the ABA when he had the chance....that league was tailor-made for his skills, and Larry Brown was the coach......then he could have did what Julius did and simply picked an NBA team to continue on with after the merger, a team that wasn't a terrible as the Jazz/Hawks/etc.....

Gervin and Ewing I understand the rationale....is this author simply going on their professional marks? This guy writes for Fox Sports - nuff said. This column must have replaced Jack Haley's insightful commentary on how to sit at the end of a bench on an NBA team for 12 years.....
                            'Ah, to be a bird. To fly the skies, sing your song, and best of all, occassionally pluck someone's eyes out.' - George Carlin.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained@Aug 19 2005, 12:35 PM
                              I thought it was wrong when they put him on the 50 greatest list over Nique, at the time he didn't deserve it. But NOW? easily NOT overrated.
                              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                              X