electric problem in a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric problem in a car

I have a 99 explorer, about a month ago I had to get a jump start because i left my lights on all day at work. Ever since then, when I start my car, the dome lights flash for about a minute, before they go back to normal and turn themselves off like they are supposed to be.

I've driven around like this for about a month and now its really starting to piss me off and I wanna get it fixed, at night when I start my car it looks like there is a fucking nightclub inside my car as the lights flash off and on off and on for about minute-minute and a half, its really gay.

Any ideas on what kinda problem this likely is? Can't be a blown fuse...I'm guessing a battery problem, but I really have no clue. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Buy a Mac.

Comment

I really have no idea.

I doesn't sound like a battery problem because you're starting OK. It doesn't sound like the alternator because once you got it running, the battery recharged.

Glad I could be of assistance.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Yank the bulb out...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*@Aug 18 2005, 01:56 PM
          Yank the bulb out...
          that'll probably be the winner.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

In keeping with rebs grammer police action, shouldn't the title read.."Electrical problem with car"?
            I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

my mustang had some weirdness (the wipers would go on sometimes when I turned on the headlights...and sometimes the wipers would just go on on their own or go off on their own). a friend of mine said that was pretty normal.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Aug 18 2005, 03:21 PM
                my mustang had some weirdness (the wipers would go on sometimes when I turned on the headlights...and sometimes the wipers would just go on on their own or go off on their own). a friend of mine said that was pretty normal.
                a ford with electrical problems?

you don't say.....
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Sounds like a computer problem. In some cars you have to do some kinda reset after you change your battery. Or in your case, let it go completely dead. Try unhooking the battery and then hook it back up. Give it a few minutes before you try to restart it.

If that doesn't work, call your local Ford dealer and ask them.
                  "You're my wife Margene, you can't be seeing the girl I'm dating." - Big Love

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot_it_Al@Aug 18 2005, 04:44 PM
                    Sounds like a computer problem. In some cars you have to do some kinda reset after you change your battery. Or in your case, let it go completely dead. Try unhooking the battery and then hook it back up. Give it a few minutes before you try to restart it.

If that doesn't work, call your local Ford dealer and ask them.

the computer was honestly the only thing I can think of....but I didn't want to mention it because if it's out, it can be expensive.

Do what Al says....leave the battery unhooked for 15 minutes or so, then rehook it up and see what happens. Wost case, you'll just lose you're radio presets.

Comment

I'd say put one of these in there and pimp that shit out:

You can't kill terror
                      So let's declare war
                      There's so many dead that we can't keep score

Comment

You have a Ford, you're supposed to go batshit insane with electrical problems, didn't you read your owner's manual?

Seriously though, how old was the car that jumped you.

Some of the older vehicles (late 80's and older) don't have a limiter on how much juice they can put out when jumping your vehicle (or some such bullshit, I dunno exactly how that works, but I've seen it happen enough to believe it) and can damage the computer or at least mess with it a bit.

You have 4 choices from what I see:
                        1) Pull the light
                        2) Unhook the battery for a few hours, you'll lose your pre-selected FM stations, but you should reset the computer somewhat.
                        3) Take it to a certified mechanic who might be able to figure it out
                        4) Buy a Mac
                        "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                        "I didn't know you
                        had any feelings"

Comment

Originally posted by SunuvaNun@Aug 18 2005, 10:14 PM
                          You have a Ford, you're supposed to go batshit insane with electrical problems, didn't you read your owner's manual?

Seriously though, how old was the car that jumped you.

Some of the older vehicles (late 80's and older) don't have a limiter on how much juice they can put out when jumping your vehicle (or some such bullshit, I dunno exactly how that works, but I've seen it happen enough to believe it) and can damage the computer or at least mess with it a bit.

You have 4 choices from what I see:
                          1) Pull the light
                          2) Unhook the battery for a few hours, you'll lose your pre-selected FM stations, but you should reset the computer somewhat.
                          3) Take it to a certified mechanic who might be able to figure it out
                          4) Buy a Mac
                          5)
                          6) Profit
                          ricky, shutup and paint your god damn house.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty Nate@Aug 18 2005, 01:26 PM
                            I have a 99 explorer
                            THERE'S your problem! Just be thankful it hasn't rolled over and killed you yet...

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
                            Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
                            Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Working...
                            X