X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq's next prime minister

Chalabi's road to victory?

By Arnaud de Borchgrave

With only three months to go before L. Paul Bremer trades in his Iraqi proconsul baton for beach ware and a hard-earned vacation, the country's most controversial politician is already well positioned to become prime minister.
    Ahmad Chalabi, the Pentagon's heartthrob and the State Department's and CIA's heartbreak, has taken the lead in a yearlong political marathon. Temporary constitutional arrangements are structured to give the prime minister more power than the president. The role of the president will be limited because his decisions will have to be ratified by two deputy presidents, or vice presidents. Key ministries, such as Defense and Interior, will take orders from the PM.
    ... ...

Mr. Chalabi is still on the Defense Intelligence Agency's budget for a secret $340,000 monthly stipend. The $40 million the INC received since 1994 from the U.S. also covered the expenses of Iraqi military defectors' stories about weapons of mass destruction and the Iraqi regime's links with al Qaeda — which provided President Bush a casus belli for the war on Iraq.
    ... ...

Referring to Mr. Chalabi, a former U.S. ambassador recently back from an extended trip to Iraq, said: "Anyone who can get the U.S. to invade Iraq must be a very clever politician. As for the people his INC coached in London to disinform the U.S. intelligence community about Saddam's nonexistent weapons of mass destruction, you've got to hand it to the guy. Don't blame him. Blame the Pentagon for not seeing through him."
    ... ...

While in London exile, he cultivated close contacts with Israeli officials. He has also visited Iran a number of times to confer with leading ayatollahs in a bid for their support. He was given permission to open an INC office in Tehran. His strongest backers in the U.S. are Vice President Dick Cheney, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and neo-conservative theoretician ("An End to Evil") Richard Perle.

All the bases are loaded for a home run by MVP Chalabi. If successful, it will be an additional campaign issue President Bush could have done without.

Good riddance to sick sadist Saddam. But was Mr. Chalabi a worthy democratic trade? And how will voters react when they become convinced the U.S. taxpayers funded Mr. Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress to train defectors on how best to convince the Bush administration that Iraq was a clear and present danger? Two hundred billion dollars later, the mind reels.

Arnaud de Borchgrave is editor at large of The Washington Times and of United Press International.

================================================== ====

Here's the paragraph I found most interesting:

Standard bearer for Iraq's 60 percent Shi'ite majority and free Iraq's first president will be Abdulaziz Hakim. He is the brother of Ayatollah Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim, killed last year with 90 worshippers when a car bomb rocked the country's holiest Shiite shrine in Najaf. With an Islamic green light from Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani, Ayatollah Hakim will almost certainly opt for fellow Shi'ite Mr. Chalabi as prime minister.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/commentary/...90721-7961r.htm

Under Chalabi-- a Shiite-- an Iraqi civil war is innevitable-- and the US stands to be caught dead-set in the middle of it. Are the killings in the Sunni triangle really just a preview of the future of Iraq? If so, that's sad!
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Don't say I didn't warn you:

Iraq is a powder keg!
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Apr 2 2004, 09:21 AM
      Don't say I didn't warn you:

Iraq is a powder keg!
      Arent you the master of the obvious...

I mean...what a stretch you went out on saying it's a powder keg...

No friggin' shit...any nit wit off the street could have surmised as much...

Thanks for the insight...cant wait t hear more earth-shattering insights from you...

Comment

Content aside, I wish you'd learn how to post.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Chalabi- fool me once, shame on you. Fool me a zillion times, shame on DICK Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Apr 2 2004, 09:36 AM
            Chalabi- fool me once, shame on you. Fool me a zillion times, shame on DICK Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz.
            If Karl Rove was there...it would be a neo-con circle jerk...

But...I hear its a powder keg!!

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi+Apr 2 2004, 09:24 AM-->
              QUOTE (Indu WangZi @ Apr 2 2004, 09:24 AM)

So you guys know.

I like kegs.

Not huge on powder. Though I did like the movie "Powder" ...
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Lap-dog Puds-- who can't defend their President's actions-- need not reply.

Comment

If Karl Rove was there...it would be a neo-con circle jerk...
                  Indu: It wouldn't be complete without you, Winston and Jack!

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Apr 2 2004, 09:45 AM
                    Lap-dog Puds-- who can't defend their President's actions-- need not reply.
                    Hey..fuckstick...here's a tip...

Try actually forming a thought before posting...you may actually realise how fookin' stupid you sound...

Powder-keg...were you standing to close when it went off??

Oh..I forgot..you are cut and paste boy...original thoughts arent you strong suit...

Carry on, Nick2..and, does the 2 stand for the actual brain cells that are still functioning or the number you had to begin with...I got a side bet goin' on...let me know..

Comment

nick, in all seriousness.

Do you get off on everyone being put off?

I mean, can't you add anything of substance?

Why just the trolling? We all troll from time to time, but is that all you have?

Can't you mix it up abit?
                      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Did I forget to mention: Thanks to the Bush Administration-- and their insistence of installing the known crook, Chalabi, to the highest position of power in the country, that Iraq is NOW a powder keg that is certain to explode into a civil war of gigantic proportions?

Or, is that just stating the obvious? But, as we all know: I'm good at that!

Comment

Your HATE against Bush reveals feelings deep down.

Your ANTI-Bush stuff all day and night long must grow on you.

Did some guy named "Bush" or "George" have his way with you in a Jr High bathroom/locker room one day? Is that what turned you into a spoof?
                          Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Your ANTI-Bush stuff all day and night long must grow on you
                            Hey Jack: Change"Bush" to "Clinton and send this note to known druggie Rush Limbaugh.

Some Republicans can dish it out endlessly, but can't seem to take it, Are you one of those? :rolleyes:

Comment

• Working...
                              X