Cards vs. D-Bags GDT, 8/18/05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards vs. D-Bags GDT, 8/18/05

ST. LOUIS -- The unluckiest pitcher on the Cardinals pitching staff, Jason Marquis, takes the mound on Thursday.
    Marquis and the Cardinals will be looking to sweep away the Diamondbacks. St. Louis has received two stout pitching performances from Jeff Suppan (seven innings pitched, five hits, no walks and two runs on Tuesday) and Mark Mulder (five-hit shutout on Wednesday).

Marquis may need more than just a solid pitching performance. He has won just once in his last 10 starts and has lost his last five. It seems the 28-year old right-hander is in the middle of a catch-22. When he pitches great, he either gets a no-decision or a loss, and when he pitches badly, well, he loses.

The last time Marquis faced the Diamondbacks, on July 7, provided a perfect illustration of the last two months for Marquis. He pitched eight innings, giving up one run -- a homer to Kelly Stinnett -- struck out seven and allowed just four hits. He did not receive a decision because his opponent, Claudio Vargas, pitched just as well for seven innings and the Diamondbacks won on Luis Gonzalez's walk-off home run in the ninth inning.

On Thursday, the two will match up again. Marquis is coming off a quality start in Chicago in which he allowed just three runs and pitched into the seventh. He was tagged with the loss as the Cardinals dropped the game, 4-1. After going 1-3 with a 2.80 ERA in July, Marquis has an 0-3 record in August with a 7.50 ERA.

Pitching matchup:
    ARI: RHP Claudio Vargas
    • 6-6, 4.57 ERA in 2005
    • 0-0, 1.28 ERA vs. STL in 2005

STL: RHP Jason Marquis
    • 9-11, 4.22 ERA in 2005
    • 0-0, 1.13 ERA vs. ARIZ in 2005

Player to watch
    So Taguchi has only faced Vargas once, but has been one of the hottest hitters in the Cardinals lineup the last two weeks. He has a 10-game hitting streak in which he is hitting .500 (18-for-36).

Quotable
    "The starting pitching has to be at the top of the list as to why this is happening, because they go out there every night and give us quality start after quality start. It makes it easy on the offense and easy on the bullpen to get them set up for matchups." -- John Mabry, on the Cardinals' success with four regulars injured

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • ARI: FSN Arizona, ESPN
    • STL: FSMW, ESPN

On radio
    • ARI: KTAR 620, KSUN 1400 (Español)
    • STL: KMOX 1120

Quick hits
    Mulder pitched his 10th career shutout and second this season on Wednesday. He now has 25 career complete games. He pitched 10 innings to earn his last shutout. It came against Roger Clemens on April 23. He has shut out the Diamondbacks both times he has faced them. ... The Cardinals successfully executed a suicide squeeze on Wednesday, making them 10-for-12 in suicide-squeeze attempts. ... The Cardinals have now knocked off the Diamondbacks in 12 of their last 14 meetings. ... St. Louis owns the best record in baseball at 76-44. ... Busch Stadium was sold out for the 31st time this season. The Cardinals have drawn 40,000 or more to their last 23 home games.

On deck
    • Friday: vs. Giants, 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Saturday: vs. Giants, 12:20 p.m. CT
    • Sunday: vs. Giants, 1:15 p.m. CT

Quelle heur?
    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

The Fish man has some big balls. I'm rooting for ya man but I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong. Go Cards. Maybe the addition of Yadi will help Marquis. I think he's gonna play tonight.
        RIP Stan the Man
        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
        I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy@Aug 18 2005, 09:29 AM
          The Fish man has some big balls. I'm rooting for ya man but I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong. Go Cards. Maybe the addition of Yadi will help Marquis. I think he's gonna play tonight.
          Vargas is the same pitcher that broke Molina's hand, right?..

Would nice to see Yadi have the chance to get a little revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdao+Aug 18 2005, 09:39 AM-->
            QUOTE(mcdao @ Aug 18 2005, 09:39 AM)

Time for change

Comment

The last time through the rotation (that's the last three v the Cubs and the first two v Arizona), the team ERA is a nifty 2.72. In five games we've allowed 6 walks and 5 home runs.

This is almost entirely the starters, too. Over the last five games, the bullpen has combined for just 5.1 innings. This includes no appearances at all by Brad Thompson or Jason Isringhausen. Julian Tavarez has made only one appearance, hitting the only batter he's faced.
              This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

Struggling starter Jason Marquis shoots for his first win in over a month as the St. Louis Cardinals try to complete a three-game sweep of the visiting Arizona Diamondbacks.

Marquis has dropped five straight starts and eight of nine decisions. In Friday's 4-1 loss to the Chicago Cubs, he gave up three runs and 10 hits in seven innings.

Marquis has just one win since June 10, a 4-2 victory over the Houston Astros on July 16.

The right-hander said his record doesn't indicate how well he's pitched.

``I'm a guy that knows how I've pitched over the past nine starts,'' Marquis said. ``I'm a numbers guy. I like to look. It helps keep my confidence up. I've given up three earned runs or less in seven out of my last nine starts. So I'm really not pitching as bad as my numbers say.''

The Cardinals have won three of four, including a 5-0 victory on Wednesday.

Mark Mulder threw a five-hitter for his second shutout of the season and John Mabry hit a two-run homer as the Cardinals passed the Chicago White Sox (74-44) for the best record in the majors.

Mulder was looking forward to telephoning former teammate Jermaine Dye to let him know.

``I told him we're going to catch you, and he goes, 'Whatever, dude,''' Mulder said. ``We caught them.''

Troy Glaus singled twice and walked for the Diamondbacks, who have lost four straight and are 2-6 on a 12-game road trip. Arizona is 2-12 against the Cardinals over the last three seasons, and has been outscored 13-2 in this series.

The Diamondbacks slipped a season-worst nine games below .500.
                ricky, shutup and paint your god damn house.

Comment

per Mike smith at stltoday...

FYI, if you haven't heard this already, Derrick Goold called from the ballpark and said Molina will start tonight.

Here's the lineup; night off for Grudz:

Eckstein, ss
                  Rodriguez, lf
                  Pujols, 1b
                  Edmonds, cf
                  Mabry, 3b
                  Nunez, 2b
                  Taguchi, rf
                  MOLINA, c
                  Marquis, p
                  I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by davhaf@Aug 18 2005, 03:05 PM
                    per Mike smith at stltoday...

FYI, if you haven't heard this already, Derrick Goold called from the ballpark and said Molina will start tonight.

Here's the lineup; night off for Grudz:

Eckstein, ss
                    Rodriguez, lf
                    Pujols, 1b
                    Edmonds, cf
                    Mabry, 3b
                    Nunez, 2b
                    Taguchi, rf
                    MOLINA, c
                    Marquis, p
                    Now, get Sanders back and J-$ down to AAA where he belongs, and we'll be fine.

BTW, who got sent down? Mahoney?
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Good to see Molina back.

Bye bye, mAAhoney.
                      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Arizona's lineup:

1. Counsell, 2B

2. Tracy, RF

3. Gonzalez, LF

4. Clark, 1B

5. Glaus, 3B

6. Green, CF

7. Clayton, SS

8. Stinnett, C

9. Vargas, P

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Mahoney was kept, because there only going to play Yadi for part of the game. They sent down Skip Shumacher.
                          Time for change

Comment

Originally posted by Zythrst@Aug 18 2005, 06:18 PM
                            Mahoney was kept, because there only going to play Yadi for part of the game. They sent down Skip Shumacher.
                            Fudge.
                            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                            X