• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 price officially set

Microsoft sets Xbox 360 pricing

By Daniel Terdiman
    http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sets+Xbox+36..._3-5836461.html

Story last modified Wed Aug 17 08:08:00 PDT 2005

Pricing on the much anticipated Xbox 360 will start at $299.99, Microsoft announced Wednesday.
    Scheduled to launch in North America in time for the holiday season, that core version of the tech giant's next-generation game system will include the console, one controller, a white faceplate and an audiovisual cable.

For $100 more, gamers can upgrade to the premium edition. That package will feature, in addition to the standard equipment, a headset, remote, membership to the Xbox Live entertainment and chat network, and a 20GB hard drive for storing games, music, and other content downloaded from Xbox Live. It will also swap out the wired controller for a wireless one.

The premium edition will be known as the Xbox 360 and will have a cream-colored shell, while the lower-priced version will be called the Xbox 360 core system and will come in a light green box, said David Reed, director of platform marketing for Xbox.

He predicted that many players who will buy the Xbox 360 this holiday season are likely to opt for the premium version. "There's no question we're going to sell a lot more Xbox 360 this holiday than we are of the Xbox 360 core system," Reed said.

Each of the optional components, along with memory units, battery packs and other accessories, can also be purchased separately.

Reed said that upgrading after the fact by buying the accessories piecemeal would likely cost around $200, while consumers will have the option to buy in at the premium level for $100 more than the core system.

Both the basic and premium systems come with built-in Ethernet ports and can play DVDs, CDs, MP3s and digital content from other devices including cameras.

Microsoft, which is racing rivals Sony and Nintendo to get its new console into the hands of gamers, also on Wednesday gave pricing for European markets. The core version of the Xbox 360 is expected to sell in Britain for 209 pounds ($378) and elsewhere in Europe for 299 euros ($368); including accessories, the prices would be 279 pounds and 399 euros.

The company said it would reveal pricing for the Japanese market at the Tokyo games fair next month.

Meanwhile, Reed acknowledged that Microsoft will likely have to subsidize the Xbox 360 in its early days, but he promised the console would eventually be profitable for the company.

He also said pricing for Xbox 360 games from Microsoft Game Studios would be in line with current-generation console games. Thus, gamers can expect to see Xbox 360 games from Microsoft, and probably other publishers, for around $49 to $59.

Copyright ©1995-2005 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Looks like I'll shoot for the premium system for Xmas...

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

!!!
      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Not including a hard drive with the base unit is a horrible idea. It will basically kill all hard drive support in games.

Developers will never make games that require the hard drive because half the user base won't have one. They will never go out of their way to do innovative things with it because it would be financial suicide. Even downloadable levels and game tweaks will be a problem, because half the user base won't have them.
        To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

This system is going to be an abysmal failure. The games at release won't look as good as their xbox counterparts, and the system doesn't come with a hard drive OR HD-DVD as promised.

On top of that, even M$ claims it's only 2-3 times more powerful than the old xbox.

They rushed to beat Sony out of the gate, and will suffer greatly because of it.

They don't even have a single game to demo on it as of today. They demoed the system less than two weeks ago and could only demo the OS and media on it....no games because no manufacturer has them ready.

If you're really interested in getting one, wait at least until the second generation of games comes out.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Aug 18 2005, 09:31 AM
            This system is going to be an abysmal failure. The games at release won't look as good as their xbox counterparts, and the system doesn't come with a hard drive OR HD-DVD as promised.

On top of that, even M$ claims it's only 2-3 times more powerful than the old xbox.

They rushed to beat Sony out of the gate, and will suffer greatly because of it.

They don't even have a single game to demo on it as of today. They demoed the system less than two weeks ago and could only demo the OS and media on it....no games because no manufacturer has them ready.

If you're really interested in getting one, wait at least until the second generation of games comes out.
            Agreed.

And you have to give the geeks time to figure out how to mod it.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Aug 18 2005, 09:31 AM

What are you talking about? People have played games on the Xbox 360 already. The system does come with a hard drive if you get the more advanced version, and if you get the "core" system, it's an extra $99.99.

I'd like to see some evidence of Microsoft saying it's only 2-3 times more powerful than the first Xbox, because I haven't seen that anywhere.

They never promised DVD-HD, either. For one thing, it would make the price of the system skyrocket. Also, since there's no consensus between DVD-HD or Blu-Ray DVD, it doesn't make sense to pick one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Aug 18 2005, 01:33 PM-->
                QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Aug 18 2005, 01:33 PM)

Originally posted by ort@Aug 18 2005, 08:06 AM
                Not including a hard drive with the base unit is a horrible idea. It will basically kill all hard drive support in games.

Developers will never make games that require the hard drive because half the user base won't have one. They will never go out of their way to do innovative things with it because it would be financial suicide. Even downloadable levels and game tweaks will be a problem, because half the user base won't have them.
                Naw, it just means that it'll pretty much be required to buy a hard drive. I see this as a good thing, because you might be able to buy that hard drive from a third party vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Aug 18 2005, 08:31 AM

It's going to be a bomb because so many people were burned on the last generation of consoles. They were told that they'd be more powerful than PCs and capable of being the center of a home entertainment system, neither of which is true.

Note that Sony is going to delay the PS/3 until 2007 if the XBox 360 doesn't sell well. Personally, I believe we won't see that until 2007 no matter what happens with XBox 360, because I'm pretty sure it's all hype. Just like last time, the specs and performance numbers will keep coming down until they look weak compared to PCs.

Comment

I think it's a pretty brilliant marketing strategy. I have a few internet buddies who work for companies developing games for the 360. If you think the quality of the graphics will be less than what we're seeing on the current gen titles, you're out of your fucking mind. *Everything* about the new system blows the old one away, and the developers are taking advantage of it.

$399 for the premium system is going to be pricey, absolutely. From what I've seen of the games, though, it'll be worth it, if you have the means.
                    I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark+Aug 18 2005, 01:41 PM-->
                      QUOTE(Airshark @ Aug 18 2005, 01:41 PM)

I think Microsoft is going to get their asses handed to them this time.
                      1- People have a good system already be it X-Box or PS2 so they can wait for the next generation which is supposed to be a much bigger jump in Tech than this one is.
                      2- For the people that must have a new system the new PlayStation is going to be better, so wait just a little while and get the best system going.
                      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Aug 18 2005, 01:33 PM-->
                        QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Aug 18 2005, 01:33 PM)

Someone was just pwned
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                        X