Rotation for playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotation for playoffs

I think these stats are worth something as we continue to discuss our pitching rotation for the playoffs. I think the run support a pitcher gets evens out over a year unless you are talking about comparing different teams, so i'm not going to check that. But here is how the TEAM does in each pitchers start. I think i'm pretty settled on 1 (Carp) and 2 (Mulder). I think Suppan is making a strong case for #3 but it's no shoe in right now. I think 1&2 are a lot more of a given than anything other than Marquis being #5.

Carpenter: Team is 20-4 in his starts. 10-0 in last 10 (1.17ERA/8.47IP per start)

Mulder: Team is 19-6 in his starts. 9-1 in last 10 (2.54ERA/6.76IP per start)

Suppan: Team is 12-12 in his starts. 6-4 in last 10 (3.47ERA/6.27IP per start)

Morris: Team is 14-8 in his starts. 5-5 in last 10 (4.71ERA/6.13IP per start)

Marquis: Team is 10-14 in his starts. 1-9 in last 10 (5.15ERA/6.16IP per start)

How would you all rank them?

I'd go with the following:

1. Carp
    2. Suppan
    3. Mulder
    4. Morris

That's right now anyway. You could allow to go Carp in games 1 and 5 of the LDS, or bump Morris and use him for 1, 4, and 7 of the LCS/WS. I know the Suppan pick is probably unpopular, but think about it: he's damn consistent, and he knocked out both the Dodgers and Astros last year.
    Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

Originally posted by TarHeelBlues@Aug 17 2005, 09:02 PM
      I'd go with the following:

1. Carp
      2. Suppan
      3. Mulder
      4. Morris

That's right now anyway. You could allow to go Carp in games 1 and 5 of the LDS, or bump Morris and use him for 1, 4, and 7 of the LCS/WS. I know the Suppan pick is probably unpopular, but think about it: he's damn consistent, and he knocked out both the Dodgers and Astros last year.
      Don't get me wrong, Suppan has been great and consistent. And it should never be forgotten that he outlasted the Rocket in game 7 of the NLCS.

But clearly, Mulder is establishing himself as the clear cut #2. The stats don't lie. The team is 9-1 in his last 10 starts. His ERA is a full point better than Suppan over the last 10.

I believe the #3 spot is Suppan's to lose. Morris really has to turn it on to have any shot to get my confidence over Suppan.

Comment

Mulder is #2 but ONLY if its a night game.

He is so bad in the daytime...they simply have to work the rotation to have him pitching under the lights.
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by tigernumbe+Aug 17 2005, 10:21 PM-->
          QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Aug 17 2005, 10:21 PM)

Originally posted by TarHeelBlues+Aug 17 2005, 09:26 PM-->
          QUOTE(TarHeelBlues @ Aug 17 2005, 09:26 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by tigernumbe+Aug 17 2005, 10:32 PM-->
          QUOTE(tigernumbe @ Aug 17 2005, 10:32 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 09:26 PM
          Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 10:21 PM

It might be the weather. Maybe he's not a vampire, but a penguin.
          The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

How is there really any way to tell until the team we face is decided upon? TLR bases his decisions a lot on how that pitcher has done against them in his whole career, as well as other factors that have to do with the team we will face.
            I'd also think that they'd rather have Morris start at home than on the road, possibly forcing him into the #2 slot in a 7 game series. That all depends on how he finishes out the year though.
            In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

Originally posted by gibsongirl@Aug 17 2005, 10:35 PM
              It might be the weather. Maybe he's not a vampire, but a penguin.

Do be Do be Dooo.
              "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
              "I didn't know you
              had any feelings"

Comment

Fuck the numbers, just leave Marquis out...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

if anyone thinks TLR will actually kick Morris to the curb come playoff time, they're crazy.

I think, regardless of who we face, we'll see the NLDS be Carp/Mulder/Morris/Soup/Carp. The only thing that would change that would be if NLDS Game 2 was a day game, then I'd hope Mulder would be held back.

Then if Carp had to go in game 5, Mulder could start NLCS Game 1.
                  Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                  Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                  There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                  "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                  "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Don't forget--
                    Suppan is better on the road, than he is at home.

Without a doubt, the rotation will be:

1. Carp
                    2. Mulder
                    3. Morris
                    4. Suppan

Comment

Originally posted by mcdao@Aug 18 2005, 08:57 AM
                      Don't forget--
                      Suppan is better on the road, than he is at home.

Without a doubt, the rotation will be:

1. Carp
                      2. Mulder
                      3. Morris
                      4. Suppan
                      Agree.
                      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

I'll admit its kinda bad...but I still hate Suppan with a passion for his base running BLUNDER in game 3 of the World Series. It seriously ended any hope this team had of coming back from the 2-0 deficit in the series. I can't wait til he is gone. When I see him, thats what I think about.
                        You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Working...
                        X